SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jammerbot said:

I know this information is out there somewhere, but I can’t find it. Can anyone here point to where I can find data on the throughput of the different  subway lines and also how many trains the different terminals can turn around?

Thanks!

While someone looks for the capacity links to each terminal, I can give you an estimation for each terminal. A lot of these terminals probably have higher capacity

- Van Cortlandt Park - about 16TPH

- South Ferry - 24 TPH

- Wakefield 241 St - About 16TPH

- Flatbush Av - About 24 TPH (currently services about 22 TPH)

- Harlem-148 St - About 15 TPH (currently services about 10 TPH)

(Rush Hour  ) - New Lots Av - About 12 TPH (due to inefficient switch layout between Van Siclen Av and New Lots Av)

- Woodlawn - About 15 TPH

- Utica Av - About 12 TPH (one relay track)

- Eastchester-Dyre Av - About 20 TPH (currently services about 8 TPH)

- Pelham Bay Park - 15 TPH (currently services about 12 TPH) 

- Parkchester (middle track) - 7.5 TPH

- Brooklyn Bridge Loop - 24 TPH

- Flushing-Main St - 22 TPH 

- 34 St-Hudson Yards - 29 TPH

-----

- Inwood-207 St - 20 TPH (currently processes about 12 TPH)

- Lefferts Blvd - 15 TPH (currently processes 7TPH due to split branch  train)

- Far Rockaway - 15 TPH (currently processes 8TPH due to split branch  train)

- Rockaway Park-Beach 116 St - 10 TPH (Rockaway Park  and rush hour  trains)

- Brighton Beach - 16 TPH (middle tracks only) - Currently services about 10 TPH

- 145 St - 6 TPH

( train layups AM Rush )  - Bedford Park Blvd 7 TPH (middle track only)

- 168 St - about 12 TPH (currently services 5 TPH due to modified service)

- Euclid Av - about 12 TPH (currently services 5 TPH due to modified service)

- Norwood-205 St - about 15 TPH (currently services 9 TPH)

- Coney Island-Stillwell Av - 10 TPH

- Jamaica Center - 12 TPH (excess trains sent to Jamaica-179 St rush hours)

- World Trade Center - 24 TPH (currently services 15 TPH)

- (  rush hours ) - Jamaica-179 St - 30TPH on local track and 30 TPH on express track) - currently uses 18TPH (15 TPH  and 3 TPH  ) 

- Kings Highway - 7 TPH (middle track)

- Coney Island-Stillwell Av - 8TPH (due to switch layout between West 8 St and Stillwell Av)

- Court Square - 15 TPH (currently services 8-9 TPH)

- Church Av - 20 TPH (assuming no thru-running trains). Otherwise, 8 TPH with additional 15 TPH through-running trains

- Jamaica Center - 12 TPH

- Broad St - 15 TPH (currently runs 12 TPH)

- 8 Av - 26TPH (currently services 19TPH due to power limits on the Canarsie Line)

- Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy - 18TPH (some rush hour trains begin service at E 105 St, or short-turn at Myrtle Wyckoff Avs)

- Forest Hills-71 Av - 19TPH (fumigation issues)

- Metropolitan Av - 16TPH (currently runs 9 TPH)

- Astoria-Ditmars Blvd - 14TPH due to switch layout at Ditmars Blvd

- Coney Island-Stillwell Av - 8TPH due to switch layout at Stillwell Av (some rush hour trains begin at 86 St)

( rush hours )- 96 St-2 Av - 22 TPH (currently runs 11 TPH rush hours)

- Coney Island-Stillwell Av - 12 TPH due to switch position between West 8 St and Stillwell Av

- Bay Ridge-95 St - 12 TPH due to slow speed approaches

- Whitehall St-South Ferry - 7.5 TPH (currently only runs 6 TPH turning at Whitehall St due to thru-running  trains)

3 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

While someone looks for the capacity links to each terminal, I can give you an estimation for each terminal. A lot of these terminals probably have higher capacity

- South Ferry - 24 TPH

(Rush Hour  ) - New Lots Av - About 12 TPH (due to inefficient switch layout between Van Siclen Av and New Lots Av)

-----

- Brighton Beach - 16 TPH (middle tracks only) - Currently services about 10 TPH

- 145 St - 6 TPH

- (  rush hours ) - Jamaica-179 St - 30TPH on local track and 30 TPH on express track) - currently uses 18TPH (15 TPH  and 3 TPH  ) 

- Coney Island-Stillwell Av - 8TPH (due to switch layout between West 8 St and Stillwell Av)

- Church Av - 20 TPH (assuming no thru-running trains). Otherwise, 8 TPH with additional 15 TPH through-running trains

- 8 Av - 26TPH (currently services 19TPH due to power limits on the Canarsie Line)

- Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy - 18TPH (some rush hour trains begin service at E 105 St, or short-turn at Myrtle Wyckoff Avs)

- Coney Island-Stillwell Av - 8TPH due to switch layout at Stillwell Av (some rush hour trains begin at 86 St)

- Coney Island-Stillwell Av - 12 TPH due to switch position between West 8 St and Stillwell Av

- Whitehall St-South Ferry - 7.5 TPH (currently only runs 6 TPH turning at Whitehall St due to thru-running  trains)

Thanks a lot! This is helpful for sure :)

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

sorry that the lines did not copy over well, but I'm sure you know which lines I am referring to next to each terminal 

No problem, I can figure these out! I’m trying to redraw a map that adjusts service by deinterlining and also making the best use of terminals, so this information can help inform me :)

(and yes, I have too much free time on my hands presently)

Why is it that this was her response to someone's comment about subway stations flooding?

She could've tried to at least "reassure" (put in quotes because it'll still be pretty bullsh** anyways) that they're doing everything they can. The fact she replied to the comment like this just shows she isn't doing anything. It's not helping the situation at all, I feel the person commenting this was pretty much justified. Just my opinion, some of you guys are fine to disagree with me.

23 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

- South Ferry - 24 TPH

-----

- 145 St - 6 TPH

This is amazingly helpful.  What is the source of this information?  Is it based on reading the schedules or somehow knowing about the various terminal operations?

If this information is accruate, perhaps it should be pinned somewhere on the board for easy access.

Is it really true that 179th can take 30 TPH on the local tracks and 30 TPH on the express, for a total of 60 TPH?  That would be truly impressive.  If that is indeed the case, some of my proposed plans creating a new terminal at Parsons/Hillside for express trains, in order to allow more local trains to turn at 179th,  would be unnecessary. 

Important reminder that it was not the (1) line that was just affected yesterday, other parts of the system were affected too, especially the 8th Avenue Line. 

I also saw video of the 149th Street-Grand Concourse station being flooded as well on the news (the (2) and (5) line platforms to be specific). If this isn't any major sign that climate change is here, than I don't know what is. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why is there nothing showing on my end? I see nothing but a huge blank space followed by your text. 

IDK, I still see the tweet I posted. It was a video of a woman walking though waist deep water at 157th street station on the (1)

Here's a youtube video of it

22 hours ago, mrsman said:

This is amazingly helpful.  What is the source of this information?  Is it based on reading the schedules or somehow knowing about the various terminal operations?

If this information is accruate, perhaps it should be pinned somewhere on the board for easy access.

Is it really true that 179th can take 30 TPH on the local tracks and 30 TPH on the express, for a total of 60 TPH?  That would be truly impressive.  If that is indeed the case, some of my proposed plans creating a new terminal at Parsons/Hillside for express trains, in order to allow more local trains to turn at 179th,  would be unnecessary. 

My understanding is that 179  was initially designed to be the terminal for four services on the QB, so this 30 each figure makes sense. My natural doubtfulness would lower this number a bit, but I think the M could afford to turn around there to relieve congestion at 71 Av.

35 minutes ago, jammerbot said:

Similar vein to my recent question: anyone have any idea how many trains can turn per hour at 2 Av (F)? Thanks! My guess is between 8 and 12 but I don’t have much rhyme or reason to that.

Yeah. The (V) train used to turn 10 TPH at 2 Av along with thru running (F) trains. Not the most ideal operation though since a late departing (V) train can delay the (F) and make the service more uneven for the (G) train merge at Bergen St.

56 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yeah. The (V) train used to turn 10 TPH at 2 Av along with thru running (F) trains. Not the most ideal operation though since a late departing (V) train can delay the (F) and make the service more uneven for the (G) train merge at Bergen St.

Interesting. Maybe if the lower platform at Bergen was rebuilt and a few more platforms added at one or two stations that the Culver Express currently skips (whichever ones have the most ridership maybe), the (F) and (G) could run without any merging. That way more trains could turn at 2 Av, increasing throughput on the 6 Av local and Queens Blvd express (my idea is to run the (F) and (V) on 6 Av local and Queens Blvd express via the 63 St tunnel, terminating at 179 St. I would peel back the (M), maybe running an (brownM) from Metropolitan to Broad St, or through to 9 Av if Broad St can’t accommodate. Myrtle Av passengers wouldn’t appreciate losing a one seat ride to midtown, so I would hypothetically plan for a tunnel to Grand St in the city that links up to the SAS. One can dream!).

The MTA is outsourcing HVAC work on 1,002 R160 cars.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-subway-car-work-private-vendor-r160-overhaul-20210710-bcmpm3b3gnhfbkkxzultioitja-story.html

MTA to give overhaul work of 1,000 NYC subway cars to private company
By CLAYTON GUSE
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS | JUL 10, 2021 AT 5:56 PM

The MTA is set to issue a high-priced contract to a private company for the overhaul of heating and air conditioning systems on more than 1,000 subway cars — a job that’s historically been done by the agency’s in-house workforce.

NYC Transit has a shortage of car mechanics due to a hiring freeze put in place during the pandemic — and the subway’s repair shops are packed to the gills as crews overhaul other cars, transit officials said.

That’s left the Metropolitan Transportation Authority with a sticky wicket when it comes to its fleet of R160 cars, which run on the subway’s lettered lines.

The R160s first hit the tracks 10 to 15 years ago — and need their ventilation systems revamped to ensure riders aren’t stuck in hot cars during the summer or chilly cars in the winter.

The HVAC systems sit on the tops of subway cars, and performing maintenance on one of them requires the car’s entire roof to be removed and shipped to a separate location.

Transit officials said the agency already did the overhaul work on 666 of the R160 cars with its in-house crews, but plan to issue a contract to an outside vendor to do the work on another 1,002.

“The volume of routine HVAC unit overhauls has increased in recent years as a result of New York City Transit introducing a significant number of new train cars to the system,” said MTA spokesman Andrei Berman. “As a result, the number of HVAC units now exceeds the amount of space needed for maintaining this quantity of HVAC units.”

MTA officials have selected a company to do the work, but the contract must be approved by the agency’s board. Officials have not yet announced the cost of the contract.

MTA leaders were forced to gain approval from Transport Workers Union Local 100 to send the work to an outside company. The in-house unionized workers will remove the HVAC units from the tops of the cars at the subways’ Coney Island Yard, and the company will move them by trucks to their own facility.

Once the work is complete, the HVAC systems on the cars will not need to be worked on for another 12 years.

The MTA is slated to purchase 1,900 new subway cars through its 2020-2024 capital plan — and has another 535 on the way through a previous order.

In the coming decades, all of those cars will also need major maintenance work. Matt Ahern, chair of Transport Workers Union Local 100′s car equipment division, said the MTA needs to build more facilities so the new trains can be serviced in-house.

“The problem is space, and the MTA needs to build a new HVAC shop, as well as more space to store cars,” said Ahern.

“The size of the subway fleet is going to increase by 1,500, and there isn’t enough space for them,” Ahern said. “They might store cars in layup tracks across the system overnight, but then you have problems with graffiti hits and vandals.”

“They plan to buy all these new cars, but no plan to build more space to work on them and store them.”

On 7/10/2021 at 7:19 AM, jammerbot said:

My understanding is that 179  was initially designed to be the terminal for four services on the QB, so this 30 each figure makes sense. My natural doubtfulness would lower this number a bit, but I think the M could afford to turn around there to relieve congestion at 71 Av.

179 is likely to be limited by the same problems that afflict Forest Hills: train clearing, and poor coordination of recrewings. It'll likely run a bit better because there's no diverging move immediately after the inbound platform (and CBTC is still something of an X factor in all of this) but we're talking about the difference between 20 and 22 or 23, not 20 and 30. 

Also: take those terminal capacity estimates with a (small) grain of salt. A lot of them look about right, but, for example, Utica sees hours where it turns 15tph on its two relay tracks. Really the best way to figure out this sort of question is to go and time train movements during peak hours...

5 hours ago, RR503 said:

179 is likely to be limited by the same problems that afflict Forest Hills: train clearing, and poor coordination of recrewings. It'll likely run a bit better because there's no diverging move immediately after the inbound platform (and CBTC is still something of an X factor in all of this) but we're talking about the difference between 20 and 22 or 23, not 20 and 30. 

Also: take those terminal capacity estimates with a (small) grain of salt. A lot of them look about right, but, for example, Utica sees hours where it turns 15tph on its two relay tracks. Really the best way to figure out this sort of question is to go and time train movements during peak hours...

Yeah I would say that I over-reached on some terminals, like Jamaica 179 St. Maybe in reality it would turn 44 TPH (22 on express and 22 on local) due to fumigation issues. It is the essence of human operation that doesn’t let the maximum TPH frequency be attained for more than a few train departures. You have to account for slow departures, lateness, NYPD and EMS activity that may slow even one train down. No matter how brief the disruption is, or even outright the coordination between operator operations and dispatchers can reduce the frequency, especially if the relay involves ending your train at a bumper block. You don’t want to overshoot and strike the bumper like the (Q) train did in Astoria way back in 2011

Edited by darkstar8983

Got a R160 on the (Q) from Stillwell Av to Sheepshead Bay today, 96 St bound. Left the terminal around 5:55 PM , came from the yard. Nice to see it back on the Brighton line, Manhattan bound for a change (2017-2020 scenario). 

Edited by Calvin

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

Got a R160 on the (Q) from Stillwell Av to Sheepshead Bay today, 96 St bound. Left the terminal around 5:55 PM , came from the yard. Nice to see it back on the Brighton line, Manhattan bound for a change (2017-2020 scenario). 

Today 9853-9857 / 9908-9912 ran on the (Q) (real Brighton Local (Q)) uptown at 7:50AM at Union Square bound for 96 St. Guess too many R46s are out of service and this spare from the (N) has to be used. I just hope it’s not permanent because would mean even less R160s on the (N)

Edited by darkstar8983

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Today 9853-9857 / 9908-9912 ran on the (Q) (real Brighton Local (Q)) uptown at 7:50AM at Union Square bound for 96 St. Guess too many R46s are out of service and this spare from the (N) has to be used. I just hope it’s not permanent because would mean even less R160s on the (N)

Reportedly only one R160 on the (N) today