SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I suggest the MTA rename the fare control area

The 'Donation box". If you want to donate swipe or tap your card, if not hop over.

The amount of farebeating on the subway and people casually walking past the bus driver these days is making me wonder why the hell I'm paying for the subway/buses when it seems like it is free

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

The amount of farebeating on the subway and people casually walking past the bus driver these days is making me wonder why the hell I'm paying for the subway/buses when it seems like it is free

Oh, I've been having those thoughts for years now; hell, even conveyed it on here at least once or twice.... I simply can't bring it upon myself to join a growing minority....

FWIW, I wouldn't be perusing & actively participating in a public transportation forum if I were to start condoning & engaging in farebeating.... Feels massively hypocritical....

Were any other R160s moved to the (G) this past weekend?

this morning I ran up the stairs at Ditmars Blvd and missed the (N) (R160 9858-9862 / 9893-9897) and had to wait upwards of 45 minutes for a (W) train (R160 9863-9867 / 9853-9857). And on top of that; there were no other R160s seen on my commute to Lexington Av. Usually on my trip I see at least four or five R160s, and this time; there were only two (one I missed and the one I was on).

8 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Were any other R160s moved to the (G) this past weekend?

this morning I ran up the stairs at Ditmars Blvd and missed the (N) (R160 9858-9862 / 9893-9897) and had to wait upwards of 45 minutes for a (W) train (R160 9863-9867 / 9853-9857). And on top of that; there were no other R160s seen on my commute to Lexington Av. Usually on my trip I see at least four or five R160s, and this time; there were only two (one I missed and the one I was on).

2 5-car sets on the (G) = 1 full length

2 are on the (W) today with 3 on the (N) . Also, 2 are on the (Q) today. The C.I R160s are currently playing hopscotch in groups of 2 today. 

Edited by Calvin

I am HIGLY annoyed with MTA right now,

My (N) or (W) or whatever the hell it was was 4 minutes late leaving Ditmars because the signs on the R46 absolutely SUCK and they were trying to fix them. And because of this, I missed my train connection at GCT.

Why are they in such a goddam rush to implement CBTC!? Ridership isn't even back yet, just wait for the dam R211's to come in.

Rant over. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Why are they in such a goddam rush to implement CBTC!? Ridership isn't even back yet, just wait for the dam R211's to come in.

They are in a rush because the old signals are expensive to maintain and highly unreliable.

I do feel for you, as the (N) train runs terribly these days

10 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

They are in a rush because the old signals are expensive to maintain and highly unreliable.

I do feel for you, as the (N) train runs terribly these days

Not to mention that we can expect ridership to be higher by the time they have a notable (200+ cars) presence...

The complaints on the previous page about the (N)(W) being bad in the early to mid-2000s gave me a chuckle.  Wasn't perfect, not denying that, but still way better than, say, the (2)/(5) in the late '90s.  Anyone who also rode the R26/28/29s in their last years will understand. 

On 10/11/2021 at 1:57 AM, Mtatransit said:

The 'Donation box". If you want to donate swipe or tap your card, if not hop over.

This is what happens when you go soft on crime.  We live in clown world now. Honk honk.

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I am HIGLY annoyed with MTA right now,

My (N) or (W) or whatever the hell it was was 4 minutes late leaving Ditmars because the signs on the R46 absolutely SUCK and they were trying to fix them. And because of this, I missed my train connection at GCT.

Rant over. 

Ridership isn't 100% back, but it continues to increase each week. Subway ridership is roughly 50% what it normally is, and with the worker shortages, trains are still pretty crowded overall, all things considered.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:57 AM, Mtatransit said:

This is what happens when there are no consequences.  The "Progressive" crowd thinks it is "horrible" to have people suffer consequences for not paying their fare.  Supposedly, all of the people farebeating are "poor", another BS ploy to justify loads of people skipping the fare.  If they are truly poor, they would qualify for the "Fair Fares Program", which would mean paying half fare for their rides.  

8 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

The complaints on the previous page about the (N)(W) being bad in the early to mid-2000s gave me a chuckle.  Wasn't perfect, not denying that, but still way better than, say, the (2)/(5) in the late '90s.  Anyone who also rode the R26/28/29s in their last years will understand. 

Late 90s, early 2000s (2) rider here, and no I don't understand. Riding the Redbirds was like riding an IRT sized R32/38. 

The passenger experience between the IRT Redbirds and R32 - R42 was about the same. I could understand if you said prior to GOH as all SMEEs were beat to a plup and raggedy prior to overhaul. 

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Late 90s, early 2000s (2) rider here, and no I don't understand. Riding the Redbirds was like riding an IRT sized R32/38. 

The passenger experience between the IRT Redbirds and R32 - R42 was about the same. I could understand if you said prior to GOH as all SMEEs were beat to a plup and raggedy prior to overhaul. 

Except the R32s were stainless steel, didn't have giant rustholes everywhere, didn't leak gallons of water in the rain, didn't have multiple door-circuit failures causing people to be dragged on the platform, and didn't have worn-out wiring that would start to smoke randomly out of nowhere.  I take it you also don't remember (2)/(5) trains being taken out of service left and right during rush hour due to miscellaneous mechanical failures.

Because Pepperidge Farms here sure as hell remembers LOL.  

Edited by R10 2952

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

Except the R32s were stainless steel, didn't have giant rustholes everywhere, didn't leak gallons of water in the rain, didn't have multiple door-circuit failures causing people to be dragged on the platform, and didn't have worn-out wiring that would start to smoke randomly out of nowhere.  I take it you also don't remember (2)/(5) trains being taken out of service left and right during rush hour due to miscellaneous mechanical failures.

Most of my Redbird rides back then were underground, so I never experienced leaking on those cars.

I remember the door circuit failures cause some people died due to the draggings, and made the news, RIP to them.

Your latter two points, been posting on NYC based railfan forums for years and never heard of these things until this post, nor ever experienced this IRL. You might be exaggerating those last two points.

I was on an R42 (J) that the heater caught fire in 2005... cars ran for 15 more years after that. Train wasn't even delayed and continued on its route like nothing happened lol.

I still don't think IRT riders had it any worse than N line riders right before each line received their NTT's. I'm sure R40 Slants and 42s leaked as well. R40 Slants were held together by bondo tape towards the end. 

Only real thing that was worst w/ the redbirds vs the B div SMEEs was the door circuit issues, the cars were about equal otherwise.

Funny how the current day R46s have none of the issues you mentioned and people act like they are the worst thing ever.

1 hour ago, R10 2952 said:

My experience with the Redbird fleet mirrors yours to a point. The  (2) and the (5) actually had to swap fleets before the R142 cars were introduced. The (5) cars were in somewhat " better " shape than the White Plains cars because they had less mileage. Think 241-Flatbush 24/7 vs Dyre- Bowling Green or Dyre-East 180th using a split consist of a 10 car R62a Pelham train as 2 shuttle trains. I happen to think the pre-GOH of the early to mid eighties were the low point of my  (2) and (5) experience. I remember being an extra list C/R way back then and I would pray that I wouldn't pick up a job on the (2) even if it started in Brooklyn at New Lots. Funny thing was that the (3) ran 9 car consists of mixed equipment from Lenox to Flatbush with less problems than the (2) in the early eighties. Every time I got turned around the Ferry it was because a (2) had a problem. On the east side it was the pre-R62 Redbird fleet of the (4) that couldn't climb the grade from Bowling Green to Brooklyn Bridge. Everyone had a different experience depending on if you were a passenger,  C/R, or  M/M- T/O back then. Carry on. 

4 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

I noticed the (G) stops at a new spot on the platform at Metropolitan Ave. is that due to the fleet swap with the R160s or is it just to alleviate crowding by the staircases ?

The length of the 5-car R160 is still equivalent to the 4 car 75 footers. So, I would say it's to alleviate crowding by the staircases. Giving easy access to G riders instead of having a heavy dash for it. 

Edited by Calvin

When using the (G) at Court Square, this line picks up a lot of passengers at the first stop and it's crowded until Metropolitan Av or at Hoyt-Schermerhorn. When leaving the Queens terminal, almost all the seats are filled or the other way around (leaving Church Av arriving at Hoyt). 

Even if it doesn't enter Manhattan, if you're going to Queens hopping on the QBL, using the (G) is a shortcut then transferring to the (E) on weekdays for a somewhat faster time travel. 

Also, to point out is that this maybe the first time you see a tech train split in its full length with a conductor in the back of the train instead of the middle (similar to the 42 St Shuttle except that's an additional train operator). 

Edited by Calvin

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

When using the (G) at Court Square, this line picks up a lot of passengers at the first stop and it's crowded until Metropolitan Av or at Hoyt-Schermerhorn. When leaving the Queens terminal, almost all the seats are filled or the other way around (leaving Church Av arriving at Hoyt). 

Another interesting thing about the R160s on the (G). When the train arrives @ Court Square, it is not playing the “last stop” announcements unless the C/R forces them to play. I wonder if any other stops are de-synced because of the 5-car trains stopping at awkward locations on the platforms at each stations. I know the 160s use wheel rotation to determine location, but is this playing a factor because the last time the R160s have run on the (G), they have used the (F)‘s 10-car R160s.

Edited by darkstar8983

4 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

9888-9892 is now on the (G). Which would explain why in a one hour wait for the (N) this afternoon, there were ZERO R160s on the (N) and (W) in both directions, until one finally arrived (9853-9857-9863-9867) bound for Astoria

You could go for the (W) , there were 2 back to back or that getting the (N) is your choice. They're spreading the C.I Broadway routes in 1-3 trains so, you may still have time till Halloween. 

8 minutes ago, Calvin said:

You could go for the (W) , there were 2 back to back or that getting the (N) is your choice. They're spreading the C.I Broadway routes in 1-3 trains so, you may still have time till Halloween. 

I didn’t specify the (W) (was too lazy to type), but did mean both. When I say (N), I typically mean to write (N) / (W), which gets hard to type when on my phone. The (Q) shouldn’t have any at this point, which is just thinning out the reserve 160s

Edited by darkstar8983

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Now at metropolitan av, the (G) sprint has been reintroduced for people transferring from the (L) which shows that what the (G) really needs is 480’ trains (that, and the crowding)

The (G) train stops at the front of the platform towards Court Sq, and rear of the platform towards Church Avenue which are where the exits are for the (L) , so I don't see how its different from what they have now.

Edited by Mtatransit