SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Deactivated...not removed...

the Local tracks on both sides the signals have been removed. The Express Tracks between Roosevelt and 36th st have been removed. There's only signals at certain locations along the line.

A lot of you need to get over the fact that CI isn't going to have anything new for awhile. Yes While it does suck, It's not that big of a deal. If (A)(C) riders had to deal with R32's,38's,40's,42's,44's and R46's over a 30 year time span, People in Astoria,Broadway and south Brooklyn can deal with old shit for no less than a decade. You guys are starting to feel very entitled and it shows.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

the Local tracks on both sides the signals have been removed. The Express Tracks between Roosevelt and 36th st have been removed. There's only signals at certain locations along the line.

A lot of you need to get over the fact that CI isn't going to have anything new for awhile. Yes While it does suck, It's not that big of a deal. If (A)(C) riders had to deal with R32's,38's,40's,42's,44's and R46's over a 30 year time span, People in Astoria,Broadway and south Brooklyn can deal with old shit for no less than a decade. You guys are starting to feel very entitled and it shows.

Don’t forget us folks in Staten Island where we have had the same fleet for 50 years with multiple failed attempts to bring newer fleet into the system (r46 and r179).

Edited by Lil 57

There will be a new staircase on Times Sq-42 St to where it leads to Track 1 and 4 on the 42 St Shuttle. Similar to Grand Central on the Madison Av side and has turnstiles that'll open soon. 

Edited by Calvin

For lack of better place to post this, does anyone know if it's possible to get money back on a MetroCard that expired more than 2 years ago?  I found a $60 MetroCard sealed in plastic wrap (from when bonuses were still offered) but it expired in 2016.  The MTA site doesn't seem to indicate that I can get money back for this but I wasn't sure if anyone else tried here with any better luck.

7 hours ago, 7-express said:

For lack of better place to post this, does anyone know if it's possible to get money back on a MetroCard that expired more than 2 years ago?  I found a $60 MetroCard sealed in plastic wrap (from when bonuses were still offered) but it expired in 2016.  The MTA site doesn't seem to indicate that I can get money back for this but I wasn't sure if anyone else tried here with any better luck.

There's an expiration date on the card, but also a date after which you can no longer receive a refund. You have two years from the expiration date on the card to transfer funds to a new Metrocard. After that you're out of luck.

3 hours ago, jon2305 said:

Just curious..... anybody have a specific timetable of when exactly the elevated stations on the (7) are suppose to receive station renewal work? 

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/CPDPlan.html?PLN=7&AGY=a 

Part of the 2015-2019 MTA Captial Program. Suppose to start years ago, but looking at this dashboard (not sure how updated this is) the estimated completion date is June 2022, with 0% progress

The stations along the (7) are in horrible shape. The one stairwell/exit at 52nd Street has been closed for years already, and you can literally see the decay/corrosion for the 82nd Street platform. 

In some ways I'm kind of jealous of the Astoria ESI, which were part of the batch where the stations were extremely well done (not half assed like 6th Ave IND). You look at the beauty of those stations, and compare them to the deteriorating stations along the (7) east of 46th Street its like looking at night and day

Edited by Mtatransit

On 3/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, R32 3838 said:

I miss the R38s. :(

On 3/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, R32 3838 said:

Exactly, its a train

Gets me from Point A - Point B. 

It's not like the R46's break down every other day. I think what some are saying is that the (N) should get new cars AT THE EXPENSE of QBL passengers. Selfish much?

R62A 1930 has been converted to a half-width cab. Isn't full-width but does have that social distance sticker in and out.  Although, all 5-cars: 1921-1937-1910-1930-1925 have (6)<6> Lexington Av Local maps inside of the cars. It was mentioned before but is set for Westchester Yard soon. 

Who knows if 1931-1927-1923-1952 and 1940 will be reconfigured again due to the LED switches. Only 1923 has that signage. 

From DjHammers TV 

Edited by Calvin

It's been a little while since I took the (E) so excuse me if I'm behind the times on this...the  (E)  I caught yesterday had digital ads instead of paper ones, and lots of digital screens, with the Cuomo wrap (and no end seats). Is this a new modification to an R-160 or one of the new R-179 trains?

17 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

It's been a little while since I took the (E) so excuse me if I'm behind the times on this...the  (E)  I caught yesterday had digital ads instead of paper ones, and lots of digital screens, with the Cuomo wrap (and no end seats). Is this a new modification to an R-160 or one of the new R-179 trains?

Modifications are being done on the R160, for now. 

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thanks! Any specific reason for the upgrade? I only saw upgrades to the advertisement system, and the MTA isn't exactly great at selling ads lol

Probably want to save paper on the advertisements, similar to the (4)(7) lines with their assigned cars. Ad-wraps are common on the 42 St (S) . And to thought that they won't be retired for a long time. 

--

The track 4 old entrance has disappeared from the looks from the newly opened entrance near H&M at Times Square. There was a glimpse of the globe and the former entrance was filled with concrete. 

Edited by Calvin

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thanks! Any specific reason for the upgrade? I only saw upgrades to the advertisement system, and the MTA isn't exactly great at selling ads lol

Since they can scroll through ads, it'll probably mean more revenue in the long run.

The screens in some stations also do this, although I wish they also showed real time information too (or more often). Its annoying to have to look for a countdown clock, which are not very convenient to locate. 

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Since they can scroll through ads, it'll probably mean more revenue in the long run.

The screens in some stations also do this, although I wish they also showed real time information too (or more often). Its annoying to have to look for a countdown clock, which are not very convenient to locate. 

That's assuming they can get their act together to recruit more advertisers LOL. I miss when they had the individual ads, like the Dr. Zizmor ads. Maybe they can bring that back with cheaper, rotating ads

11 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They did the bare minimum with the overhead countdown clocks. “Let’s install one countdown clock in this station—preferably eclipsed by some other structure so it can only be seen from some specific angle—and call it a day.”

Random thought: how intensive (labor-wise, engineering-wise, cost-wise) is it to add more switches?

I was looking at the track map and wondering why there aren’t switches north of Bay Parkway on the West End, but there are switches south of the station. Local to express switches just north of the station would allow for easy short-turns via the center track, which would allow for more (D) service, for example.

Edited by jammerbot

4 hours ago, jammerbot said:

Random thought: how intensive (labor-wise, engineering-wise, cost-wise) is it to add more switches?

I was looking at the track map and wondering why there aren’t switches north of Bay Parkway on the West End, but there are switches south of the station. Local to express switches just north of the station would allow for easy short-turns via the center track, which would allow for more (D) service, for example.

Personally, I don't think Bay Parkway really needs new switches north of it. I can definitely say (D) trains don't need to short turn at Bay Parkway either, the service frequency at best is mediocre. There aren't any issues when it comes to terminating at Coney Island either. While I have had times where it takes like 5 minutes to enter the station, it hasn't gone more than that from my experience especially during rush hours. (D) service on West End is a hit or miss and I usually tend to see at least one train making express stops (usually on the local tracks) because it was late.

There are other places I definitely think could definitely benefit from having switches for short-turning, Woodside-61 St and Junction Blvd could definitely benefit from this especially with Woodside for not having any kind of switches for short turnings if anything happens. (7) trains can sometimes be cut off from Queensboro Plaza and the only other place they can terminate is at 74 St. Astoria Blvd is another one, especially with (W) trains in the mix it could alleviate some of the congestion at Ditmars Blvd.

Edited by Vulturious

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

The Cuomo wraps are starting to fade away more you look into. Noticed today on the (R) : 9203-9207, 9205 has it disappeared on the outside on one of the sides. However, all 4 out  of 5 cars still have it in tact. 

They remove some after a deep wash from being vandalized by spray paint. The temperature of that water melts the wrap horrendously so they just peel them off entirely.