SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

The R179’s MBDF went up 100%? I find that extremely hard to believe.

The R179's basically went from being the system's "lemons", one so bad many thought it would be scrapped, to being decently reliable NTT trains. The difference in performance between those two was bound to cause that 100% change. 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

The R179's basically went from being the system's "lemons", one so bad many thought it would be scrapped, to being decently reliable NTT trains. The difference in performance between those two was bound to cause that 100% change. 

Yes, but they still have problems. Horrible, horrible craftsman ship.

The (7) train going to Main St Local between Queensboro Plaza and 111 St tends to have waiting times that feels long, between 3-5 PM (Express service was in-tact). At that time and direction on a school day, all 11 cars would be crammed that a few would have to wait longer than expected (8-12 minutes estimate). 

Edited by Calvin

(L) line riders have it rough this weekend... (L) is not running between Canarsie and Broadway Junction and the (A) is not running between Utica and Jay Street this weekend.

(L) to Broadway Junction to the (A) is a popular travel pattern from some parts of Brooklyn. 

Edited by trainfan22

11 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

(L) line riders have it rough this weekend... (L) is not running between Canarsie and Broadway Junction and the (A) is not running between Utica and Jay Street this weekend.

(L) to Broadway Junction to the (A) is a popular travel pattern from some parts of Brooklyn.

The (L) is luckily not too far from other options where the service is out.

• There is the (3) to Manhattan for those too far from Broadway Junction.
  • The (3) is also about 0.7 miles or less from the (A)(C) stations where the service will be out. Not too bad of a walk.
    • For those whose destination is Clinton–Washington Avenues, the (3) runs express and so the walk from Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center will still be 0.7 miles.
    • For those whose destinations are Manhattan-bound the (3) also covers all of the areas that the rerouted Manhattan-bound (A) trains won’t serve from High Street–Brooklyn Bridge to Chambers Street.

The ones in a touch spot are those out in Canarsie, Starrett City, and Spring Creek.

Edited by CenSin

Went to the TAB hearing today,

Requested the officer to show up denied, (despite being offered "that right")

"Judge" looked like she was going to pled me guilty the second she turn on the video camera, saying things like "I decide if the police officer shows up or not, or I decided if its a emergency"

Absolutely a waste of time. In fact this whole experience turned me even more sour on TAB and the even(MTA) as a whole.

100% kangaroo "court"... I am convinced nobody walks out of there with their tickets dismissed

On 3/31/2022 at 7:58 PM, trainfan22 said:

I will never understand why they do these types of GO's at the same time knowing that people will use the (A) by default. They should have had express shuttle bus service to Myrtle and Wycoff for the (M) and have the (M) go to 96th st.

39 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I will never understand why they do these types of GO's at the same time knowing that people will use the (A) by default. They should have had express shuttle bus service to Myrtle and Wycoff for the (M) and have the (M) go to 96th st.

Neither will I, but this is the MTA we're talking about.

https://pix11.com/news/local-news/hundreds-evacuated-from-no-7-train-after-it-struck-debris-in-east-river-tunnel/?fbclid=IwAR0d4MMaWKopkMVofY3QotO1yJJeUy_HFVTl9uWqI53q_cr9cZhFdeGXAnM

Hundreds evacuated from No. 7 train after it struck debris in East River tunnel | PIX11

Another incident on the Flushing (7) line involving debris. But, around Grand Central underground between 5-9 PM. 

On 3/28/2022 at 9:21 AM, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

They’re following faithfully in the footsteps of the R62As and R142s, both of which had many mechanical problems early on, but then became very reliable later.

Was reading a report that the (MTA) is considering cutting the amount of subway service in the rush hours. I also saw that off hour and weekend service may be increased somewhat. This seems to dovetail with the early pandemic days and the business forecasts of more WFH employment coupled with spreading out of the workday. I also see that they are indirectly answering one of the questions that my coworkers and I brought up when we were first heard about CBTC signaling. One of the public benefits was the ability to run trains closer together. Some of us saw that as nothing more than a PR issue and this seems to partially confirm that point to some of us present when the concept was bandied about in-house. No one disputed the need for a signal system upgrade systemwide . The signal problems are painfully clear daily. The theory of running trains closer together was great, on paper, but the general public took it to mean that more trains would be on the road. The (MTA) never promised more trains on the road. Even before the pandemic ridership losses. Since the rush hours always had the most service in the past please explain to me the benefits of running fewer trains closer together?  What am I missing ? Carry on.

57 minutes ago, Calvin said:

There bringing the Redbirds out for the Mets home opener?!??! Ohhh I'm giddy:) I thought with CBTC Mets home opener vintage train runs were a thing of the past. My favorite subway cars running special runs to take people to see my favorite baseball team.

Love those Redbirds & Low Vs! :)

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There bringing the Redbirds out for the Mets home opener?!??! Ohhh I'm giddy:) I thought with CBTC Mets home opener vintage train runs were a thing of the past. My favorite subway cars running special runs to take people to see my favorite baseball team.

Love those Redbirds & Low Vs! :)

They edited the article, The redbird part was edited out so they might have made a mistake. I was hoping to see the TOMC but it seems the (MTA) corrected them so it's just the low V's.

On 4/6/2022 at 2:00 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

Was reading a report that the (MTA) is considering cutting the amount of subway service in the rush hours. I also saw that off hour and weekend service may be increased somewhat. This seems to dovetail with the early pandemic days and the business forecasts of more WFH employment coupled with spreading out of the workday. I also see that they are indirectly answering one of the questions that my coworkers and I brought up when we were first heard about CBTC signaling. One of the public benefits was the ability to run trains closer together. Some of us saw that as nothing more than a PR issue and this seems to partially confirm that point to some of us present when the concept was bandied about in-house. No one disputed the need for a signal system upgrade systemwide . The signal problems are painfully clear daily. The theory of running trains closer together was great, on paper, but the general public took it to mean that more trains would be on the road. The (MTA) never promised more trains on the road. Even before the pandemic ridership losses. Since the rush hours always had the most service in the past please explain to me the benefits of running fewer trains closer together?  What am I missing ? Carry on.

My understanding of this was always that 'trains closer together' was supposed to suggest the optionality of running more trains, should needs demand. Of course, they never really increased the fleet enough or reduced the spare ratio to get to that point, but it seemed to me that was the premise. But to your point, did tph on the L or the 7 meaningfully increase since CBTC beyond the bounds of what was possible before? I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I would assume the answer to that, as you suggest, is no. And as you say, it seems like the peak demands during rush hour are going to be suppressed by a meaningful amount for at least another couple years. I remember the initial consultant estimates that the MTA would only reach 90% of ridership after a few years, and that seems borne out to me. 

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

So, part of the TOMC (The silver painted 9200s and the R36 WF cars) passed by 231st Street on the 1 heading to Manhattan this morning. I don't know why it was there in the first place.

Might be heading to 207 St or Livonia Yard to prep for the upcoming trip. 

The Train of Many Colors will take part this according to NY Transit Musuem. However, it will not run along the Flushing Line "because of on-going work ".  Both the Lov-V's and Train of Many Colors will run to Yankee Stadium from Grand Central-42nd St tomorrow. 

Edited by Calvin

Bronx-Queens Line

Norwood - 205 St (B)(D)

Bedford Park Blvd (B)(D)

Kingsbridge Rd (B)(D)

Fordham Rd(B)(D)

182-183 Sts(B)

Tremont Av(B)(D)

174-175 Sts(B)

170 St(B)

167 St(B)

161 St - Yankee Stadium(B)(D)(4)

155 St(B)

145 St(A)(B)(C)(D)

135 St - Edgecombe Av(B)(C)

125 St(A)(B)(C)(D)

116 St (B)(C)

110 St - Frederick Douglass Cir(B)(C)

103 St(B)(C)

96 St(B)(C)

86 St(B)(C)

Museum Of Natural History - Hayden Planetarium(B)(C)

72 St(B)(C)

59 St - Columbus Cir(A)(B)(C)(D)

7 Av - 53 St(B)(D)(E)

5 Av - 53 St(E)(M)

Lexington Av - 53 St(E)(M)(6)

Court Sq(E)(G)(M)(7)<7>

Queens Plaza(E)(M)(R)

36 St(E)(F)(M)(R)

Jackson Heights(E)(F)(M)(R)(7)

Forest Hills - 71 Av(E)(F)(M)(R)

Kew Gardens - Union Tpke (E) (F)

Parsons Blvd (F)
Jamaica - 179 St (F)

I got to the emoji limit lol

The Train of Many Colors is running tomorrow on the Lexington Av (4) line tomorrow. Not next week due to a midday general order that'll happen on the (7) in Queens. G/O turned things around. Easter holiday also occurs. 

Edited by Calvin

37 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The Train of Many Colors is running tomorrow on the Lexington Av (4) line tomorrow. Not next week due to a midday general order that'll happen on the (7) in Queens. G/O turned things around. 

Weird... normally they call those GO's off if there's a baseball game. They call off the GO's on the Jerome end of the (4) all the time if there's an event at Yankee Stadium, including the current ongoing midday GO at Mosholu Parkway.

I guess they deem the events in Queens (both Citi and Tennis Stadiums) don't generate as much ridership as events in Yankee Stadium. I recall last year there was a wrestling event at the tennis stadium and the GO involving a (7) shutdown from QBP to Manhattan still happened as scheduled.

5 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Weird... normally they call those GO's off if there's a baseball game. They call off the GO's on the Jerome end of the (4) all the time if there's an event at Yankee Stadium, including the current ongoing midday GO at Mosholu Parkway.

I guess they deem the events in Queens (both Citi and Tennis Stadiums) don't generate as much ridership as events in Yankee Stadium. I recall last year there was a wrestling event at the tennis stadium and the GO involving a (7) shutdown from QBP to Manhattan still happened as scheduled.

I suspect it's actually because next Friday is Good Friday and with lower overall ridership want to get certain things done with an extra day, especially since some personnel may not be available on other days due to Passover that starts next Friday night.