SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Now that the Federal mask mandate is gone, will the MTA still "enforce" the wearing of masks in the system, or will they follow the lead of most major airlines and Amtrak and make mask wearing optional?

(Not that there's much enforcement anyway)

They may still put that up if you're standing extremely close to someone or crowded up in a subway car (option choice), it's recommended to wear one for the TA side. 

Edited by Calvin

36 minutes ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Now that the Federal mask mandate is gone, will the MTA still "enforce" the wearing of masks in the system, or will they follow the lead of most major airlines and Amtrak and make mask wearing optional?

The MTA says masks are still required when riding public transit.

3 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Wouldn't make a difference with or without the mandate. MTA could not keep people from smoking inside train cars and in the station and that is 100% illegal.

That being said I am happy this is finally ending. Having a mandate is nice and all, but its ultimately up to the employees to enforce it, and there has been a lot of assaults and argument because of it. Now employees wouldn't need to deal with morons who feel like they need to go around arguing with everyone about why they as a free Americans don't need to do XYZ. 

Edited by Mtatransit

4 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

Does anyone know why the Manhattan (7) drags into Times Square so slowly ? This has been happening for the last 2-3 months

I think it’s due to the state of the track. I noticed it last week too. Train speeds are slowed when track is worn out and in need of replacement or if track is skeletonized

On 4/22/2022 at 6:11 PM, NBTA said:

Some Utica Avenue Transit Study is popping up on the maps section of the MyMTA app, is this foreshadowing something?

Shovels, my man. If there aren’t any in the ground, there is nothing happening. Even with shovels, you could still end up with boondoggles like the unused infrastructure for SAS.

There's another shooting inside a subway station but mentioned around Queens borough. It was reported to be at Jamaica Center on the (E) platform. The reason for that was a dispute from one another. 

https://nypost.com/2022/04/25/man-fighting-for-his-life-after-queens-subway-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR3OASyZg4r8X9xE6i8QEL7E-3x5Kxv83i4vnUJe5_h04x8Ct7CDNwTbkKE

Edited by Calvin

Today at High street I seen an R179 in the station where one car had all of its lights shut off while the rest of the train had all its lights turned on.

It was on the N/B track while I saw it on an S/B train.

Seen on twitter an train was removed from service due to mechanical problem at High Street around the time I passed though there, wonder what happened to that particular train that caused a single car to lose its lights.

50 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today at High street I seen an R179 in the station where one car had all of its lights shut off while the rest of the train had all its lights turned on.

It was on the N/B track while I saw it on an S/B train.

Seen on twitter an train was removed from service due to mechanical problem at High Street around the time I passed though there, wonder what happened to that particular train that caused a single car to lose its lights.

A little bit unrelated but it kinda reminded me of something I observed around the Thanksgiving holiday season.

Around half of the trains I rode during that time period, the first car was blocked off to passengers (Doors were closed on the first car while the rest of the train was open). Does anyone know why the (MTA) did that on some trains?

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

A little bit unrelated but it kinda reminded me of something I observed around the Thanksgiving holiday season.

Around half of the trains I rode during that time period, the first car was blocked off to passengers (Doors were closed on the first car while the rest of the train was open). Does anyone know why the (MTA) did that on some trains?

Maybe an issue where THAT cars doors were broke or other things but the rest of the train was fine. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Am I the only one who has been wondering for years what this white equipment is under the SMEE cars?

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?98747

The R46 is the only remaining car class that still uses whatever that gear is. R62s had it when new but they don't anymore.

Got my answer, those white things are called resistors. All kinds of trains have them, just the ones on NYCT SMEEs have that distinct look.

Edited by trainfan22

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Am I the only one who has been wondering for years what this white equipment is under the SMEE cars?

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?98747

The R46 is the only remaining car class that still uses whatever that gear is. R62s had it when new but they don't anymore.

Wouldn’t advise you to touch them. Might get the shock of your life 😁. Resistors IIRC. Back in the day it was the cause of many grids overheating and causing track fires and such. I’ve seen some that were as red as apples. Not something to remember fondly. Carry on.

30 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Wouldn’t advise you to touch them. Might get the shock of your life 😁. Resistors IIRC. Back in the day it was the cause of many grids overheating and causing track fires and such. I’ve seen some that were as red as apples. Not something to remember fondly. Carry on.

I second this, I've actually seen a electrical spark or two coming out of those from an R46 whenever the train does a sudden breaking out of a station after accelerating. Those things are NO JOKE.