SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/24/2022 at 8:22 PM, trainfan22 said:

Today I did my annual tradition of riding the (2) up to Wakefield, caught an nice sunset on the S/B trip.

Riding the train on the EL's during sunset is such an underrated experience.... 

That it is. You get views of the city from a train on the el that you just don’t get any other way. I like it very much.

Who keep stealing the rollsigns on the B div cars? If the R211 had rollsigns they could easily nab who keeps stealing the signs due to cameras in the cab. People be stealing builder plates and car ID number plates off of museum cars, etc.

NYPD probably don't care cause they have bigger fish to fry than some foamer nonsense. And I don't blame them. This might get me a lot of slack but I think it's an railfan employee or employees stealing the signs. Foamers can easily pass the exam and get an TA job like anyone else. Just because an buff work for the MTA doesn't mean your overzealous love for transit goes away, JMO.

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

But why is the Holiday Train ending at Chambers St?

And where is the TRUE holiday train with the R9’s that is a tradition for many New Yorkers? I miss the older days when it was simple and would run 2nd Ave to Queens Plaza.

I heard the three Arines on display in the TM need to be repainted and inspected, they have to use all operational Arines for the holiday runs for capacity reasons. There's only like six Arnines stored in the yard and that's not enough cars to handle the crowds.

9 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

And where is the TRUE holiday train with the R9’s that is a tradition for many New Yorkers? I miss the older days when it was simple and would run 2nd Ave to Queens Plaza.

I disagree, as there's nothing wrong with them changing things up and doing something new for a change. After awhile, having them replicate a portion of the old (V) line year after year gets a bit stale. I look forward to seeing that antique equipment run on the (1) line. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they'd want to terminate those trips at Chambers Street because having them run all the way down to South Ferry would disrupt regularly scheduled (1) trains terminating and departing from there. What I think they might do is terminate at Chambers Street and then run light down to the old South Ferry Loop, and come back up to the northbound track for the return trip to 137th Street. Or, they could use the switches in the vicinity of Chambers Street and turn the train around using a few moves, but that has the propensity to block (2) and (3) trains from seamlessly moving through the area if the sequence of moves isn't timed right. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

1. Because the train is using South Ferry Loop to turn and they don't want to deal with the first five cars stuff again

2. The Arnines are not available due to mechanical issues.

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Foamers can easily pass the exam and get an TA job like anyone else. Just because an buff work for the MTA doesn't mean your overzealous love for transit goes away, JMO.

Should railfans even be able to work for the TA? Banning them from working there would weed out many non-serious job candidates.

5 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

I disagree, as there's nothing wrong with them changing things up and doing something new for a change. After awhile, having them replicate a portion of the old (V) line year after year gets a bit stale. I look forward to seeing that antique equipment run on the (1) line. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they'd want to terminate those trips at Chambers Street because having them run all the way down to South Ferry would disrupt regularly scheduled (1) trains terminating and departing from there. What I think they might do is terminate at Chambers Street and then run light down to the old South Ferry Loop, and come back up to the northbound track for the return trip to 137th Street. Or, they could use the switches in the vicinity of Chambers Street and turn the train around using a few moves, but that has the propensity to block (2) and (3) trains from seamlessly moving through the area if the sequence of moves isn't timed right. 

If they run light down to South Ferry, I wonder why they do not allow people to stay on, I'm sure railfans wouldn't mind. 

I can't imagine them using the Chamber Street switches when the 2/3 is running full service, especially if it would potentially significantly delay southbound service

5 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Should railfans even be able to work for the TA? Banning them from working there would weed out many non-serious job candidates.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Of course railfans should be allowed to work for the TA. I'd say most of them aren't stealing stuff and do a good job.

I'm gonna go with trainfan22 on this one. You can still be a civilized transit fan who does the job effectively. It's the foamers we have to worry about, as mentioned previously.

8 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

The danger with that train of thought (no pun intended) is the assumption that railfans in general are somehow incapable of putting their (potential) livelihood before their hobby.... Or can even treat their livelihood as serious as their hobby.... The ones that the MTA would have to worry about, are the ones that are incapable, or outright refuse to - which would exude a certain level of immaturity... In a word, a foamer.

Edited by B35 via Church

From what I’ve heard from a friend riding the Train of Many Colors today, someone got kicked out due to rude remarks of another person. Also, while the train is running, people are also exchanging  violent language to others for blocking their beautiful image on their phone or camera. 

Edited by Calvin