SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

4 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I understand, but what are they going to do with the CBTC-ready R160s. What I could see happening is having some R211s replace some of the R160s if the timing is right, but only a few, which would go to the E and F.

That would make the most sense. The R211s would have more capacity (desperately needed on the (E)(F)) and displace any of the R160s to the (R). So the R211s would fill up the express trains and The CBTC ready R160s can be used for when the Broadway Line goes online for CBTC if it happens sometime before 2300

Edited by darkstar8983

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2017 at 4:50 PM, R32 3838 said:

Starting to see numerous jamaica R46's in numeral order, i wonder why? Swap perhaps?

I have noticed that there are R46s in numerical order (the 5800s that have a blue diamond). These are probably the R46s that are likely replacing some of the R160s from Jamaica that have been sent to Coney Island during the “cuomo wrapping”

Oh btw this swap isn't really because of just cbtc. Its politics, take this with a grain of salt but im hearing that people are complaining about the R46's on mainly the R line. I have no idea how true this is so again take it with a grain of salt.

Btw cbtc isn't gonna be active until the 2020's. 

Also they want R46's on the (B) due to mileage. Its not just because of cbtc, imo the real reason why they want to do this is dwell times and the fact they want the R46's on a part time line ( I wish they can take half of them off the (A) )

14 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Oh btw this swap isn't really because of just cbtc. Its politics, take this with a grain of salt but im hearing that people are complaining about the R46's on mainly the R line. I have no idea how true this is so again take it with a grain of salt.

Also they want R46's on the (B) due to mileage. Its not just because of cbtc, imo the real reason why they want to do this is dwell times and the fact they want the R46's on a part time line ( I wish they can take half of them off the (A) )

Yeah Gentile's been going on and on about the (R) train's R46s for years... At this rate, I'd just take R68As over R46s...

Of course when its about the (R) train and not express buses, Golden is nowhere to be found... <_<

15 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Oh btw this swap isn't really because of just cbtc. Its politics, take this with a grain of salt but im hearing that people are complaining about the R46's on mainly the (R) line. I have no idea how true this is so again take it with a grain of salt. 

75ft cars should not be on the (R) , there are too many sharp curves which makes the route a drag. 

Edited by N6 Limited
Updated train bullet

20 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

and the (7) has yet to go online even though it was expected to go up in 2015.

I was told by a platform controller last June [2017] that CBTC is already on halfway between Hudson Yards and Woodside. I asked as a way to pass the time while the FDNY used jaws of life to remove a family trapped in an elevator and to avoid laughing with a constructive conversation.

Is there a way to reverse-engineer the beacon system for countdown clocks as bat-like sonar so trains can talk to each other, as well as platforms?

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

I'd pretty much do the following if the swap needed to be done now:

CI:

• R46 (B)(N)(W) 
  • R68 (G)(S)
  • R160 (N)(Q)(W)

Jamaica:

• R68A (R)
  • R160 (E)(F)(R)

I think too many people would complain if CI lost all of their R160's... I would imagine they'd have to keep enough for the (Q) at least...

Nope Jamaica is becoming all R160's, CI will have 100+ R160's left. Heres what the assignments would look like after the swaps.

(E)(F)(R) R160's

(G) R32,R68 (full length) 

(B) R46 maybe a few R32's

(Q) R68/68A

(N)(W) R46/R160

This might be the case once everything is done. The (G) is rumored to get the R32's for the (L) shutdown plus no need to change rollsigns unlike the (B)

But this based on my opinion, and based on what i heard so take this with a grain of salt.

There’s no way R46’s are getting assigned to the (N) and (Q) the riders will really throw tantrums. This isn’t like the R142A for R62A swap. The R46’s need to be at 207st and all of 207 Street/East New York’s R32’s can be sent back to CI in exchange for some R160’s. Why would MTA down grade the (Q) back to R68’s? Especially via the Second Avenue Line...

(A)(C) -R46

(D) - R68/A

(B)(G) -R32 R68/A

(N)(Q) - R160 

(W) - R32

@VIP the (Q) doesn't have any other northern terminal, the (Q) is gonna get the R68's back anyway since the rollsigns have been updated. The (N)(W) swap trains from time to time and if CI has the R46's it would be wise to put most of them on the (B) and the remaining on the (N)(W) alongside the remaining R160's. Plus the (W) can't use the R32's because of the Montague Street tube

Plus an R32 can run on the (G), the garbage trains through the (G) line daily

When it comes to operations its smart for the majority of the R46's to be on the (B)(N)(W) lines since they have digital signs and have all the remaining R160's on the (N)(W) as well. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

@VIP the (Q) doesn't have any other northern terminal, the (Q) is gonna get the R68's back anyway since the rollsigns have been updated. The (N)(W) swap trains from time to time and if CI has the R46's it would be wise to put most of them on the (B) and the remaining on the (N)(W) alongside the remaining R160's. Plus the (W) can't use the R32's because of the Montague Street tube

Plus an R32 can run on the (G), the garbage trains through the (G) line daily

When it comes to operations its smart for the majority of the R46's to be on the (B)(N)(W) lines since they have digital signs and have all the remaining R160's on the (N)(W) as well. 

How can we be so sure that Cuomo won't intervene and force them to keep running new trains on his 2nd Avenue line?

He's intervened on a couple of bus orders (diesel bus orders changed to CNG and electric) and the countdown clock rollout recently, so I wouldn't put it past him to make the MTA change planned assignments last minute...

2 hours ago, VIP said:

There’s no way R46’s are getting assigned to the (N) and (Q) the riders will really throw tantrums. This isn’t like the R142A for R62A swap. The R46’s need to be at 207st and all of 207 Street/East New York’s R32’s can be sent back to CI in exchange for some R160’s. Why would MTA down grade the (Q) back to R68’s? Especially via the Second Avenue Line...

(A)(C) -R46

(D) - R68/A

(B)(G) -R32 R68/A

(N)(Q) - R160 

(W) - R32

R32's are banned from Broadway. It has to be R46s or R68's in this scenario.

At least now we can speculate that the R211s will be assigned to the (N)  (Q) and (W) lines (along with the (A) and Rockaway Park (S) .

ever since the R46s and not including the R143s the (N) line has always had the chance to get factory fresh cars and it seems like it will continue. Maybe they’ll wait for the R211s to start arriving to start displacing the R160s to Jamaica so that they don’t have to waste effort transferring the R46s to Coney Island, having the repairmen learn to maintain a car class that has never been repaired in that yard all for nothing. And the Jamaica R46s can retire on the (F) and (R)

8 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Do you mean mechanically or as in the riders will go crazy?

They are banned because the rebuilt Montague tunnel doesn't have clearances for straight sided cars...

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

At least now we can speculate that the R211s will be assigned to the (N)  (Q) and (W) lines (along with the (A) and Rockaway Park (S) .

ever since the R46s and not including the R143s the (N) line has always had the chance to get factory fresh cars and it seems like it will continue. Maybe they’ll wait for the R211s to start arriving to start displacing the R160s to Jamaica so that they don’t have to waste effort transferring the R46s to Coney Island, having the repairmen learn to maintain a car class that has never been repaired in that yard all for nothing. And the Jamaica R46s can retire on the (F) and (R)

As far as I'm aware, Jamaica is still getting the majority of the R211s, but that doesn't mean the (N)(Q)(W) aren't getting any at all (I could see the R68 sets getting pushed out by R211s, plus whatever extra sets are needed for additional frequency to Astoria)