SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

8 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

How much structural modification would be needed to remove some of the pillars along the platform edges of the underground stations? They seem to potentially inhibit movement of people and are a commonly cited obstacle to psd installation.

Considering they are literally holding everything up… how much do you think?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Hurt ? Personally I’d rather see the lot of them fall and be permanently removed from the gene pool. My opinion. Carry on.

I'm trying to figure out if subway surfing has actually increased recently or if there are just more people recording and posting the videos of these idiots. It was only like 2-3 weeks ago that that teenager had his arm amputated while subway surfing and this nonsense continues. Sheesh.

I think Google has somewhat wisely chosen not to let the algorithm support their stupidity. That and the fact that mobile game still has a lot of attention.

that being said… having them leave the gene pool is not something I would wish upon them… because by extension, you are wishing for someone to have to clean up after the fact.

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I think Google has somewhat wisely chosen not to let the algorithm support their stupidity. That and the fact that mobile game still has a lot of attention.

that being said… having them leave the gene pool is not something I would wish upon them… because by extension, you are wishing for someone to have to clean up after the fact.

Yeah, I tried Googling “conquestors” and just found a lot of links for “Conquistadores.” I guess that’s a good thing.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

Nobody cares about conquesters outside of the transit community.

Darius is the wildest foamer of all time as he actually operated trains and buses and pretended to be various transit jobs over the years. He actually had a documentary made about him lol. Nothing the conquesters comes close to that so their activity was always whatever to me.  A lot of what those conquesters did was also done by kids that aren't railfans and has been happening for years. In 2007 I rode an R40 Slant (B) where you someone broke into the cab and yelled "STFU" over the PA system and stuff like that has been happening years before that. IDK why railfans act like bad behaving teens in the subway is some new thing.

I do not by any means agree with what those conquesters do but I never got all "clutches pearls" over their activity. 

BTW if you type in "conquesters nyc subway" on youtube videos do come up, mainly from news channel pages from seven years ago.

Edited by trainfan22

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Nobody cares about conquesters outside of the transit community.

Darius is the wildest foamer of all time as he actually operated trains and buses and pretended to be various transit jobs over the years. He actually had a documentary made about him lol. Nothing the conquesters comes close to that so their activity was always whatever to me.  A lot of what those conquesters did was also done by kids that aren't railfans and has been happening for years. In 2007 I rode an R40 Slant (B) where you someone broke into the cab and yelled "STFU" over the PA system and stuff like that has been happening years before that. IDK why railfans act like bad behaving teens in the subway is some new thing.

I do not by any means agree with what those conquesters do but I never got all "clutches pearls" over their activity. 

BTW if you type in "conquesters nyc subway" on youtube videos do come up, mainly from news channel pages from seven years ago.

say that when they derail a train full of thousands of people.

13 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Subway satisfaction rates line by line, the non shuttle routes with the highest rankings are the (L)(G) and (Q) . IDK why the (G) is rated so high but the (L) and (Q) rankings being the best in the B div I agree with.

5svhl3ulz3p91.jpg

I assume the reason why the (G) was rated this high was mainly because of the fleet swap that occured with the (G) getting new tech. I haven't ridden the (Q) in a long time so I do not know whether or not it deserves it. Obviously the (L) is the (L) so that is going to have a decent satisfaction rate. 

In all honesty, I think the reason why the (MTA) decided to change their mind about which line would be getting CBTC next is probably because of this. The (D) being the worst rated line in terms of satisfaction saddens me not because I think it's bs which it isn't, but because it actually is true. The fact that even with all the other kinds of bs that happens with other lines yet the (D) still ended up being the worst says a lot, the line just doesn't run enough trains from my experience. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but it still sucks seeing other lines like the (B) and (N) showing up more often than a single (D) train. It's not a bad line, the routing is pretty good.

Actually this got me thinking and going off topic, how would service run if the (B) and (D) never swapped in Brooklyn and how well would it have ran?

On 9/19/2022 at 2:37 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

Hurt ? Personally I’d rather see the lot of them fall and be permanently removed from the gene pool. My opinion. Carry on.

Wtf , that’s sick. I get what they’re doing is extremely reckless and they’re basically asking to get hurt , but wanting them to get hurt and “ permanently removed from the gene pool “ is ridiculous 

31 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

I assume the reason why the (G) was rated this high was mainly because of the fleet swap that occured with the (G) getting new tech. I haven't ridden the (Q) in a long time so I do not know whether or not it deserves it. Obviously the (L) is the (L) so that is going to have a decent satisfaction rate. 

In all honesty, I think the reason why the (MTA) decided to change their mind about which line would be getting CBTC next is probably because of this. The (D) being the worst rated line in terms of satisfaction saddens me not because I think it's bs which it isn't, but because it actually is true. The fact that even with all the other kinds of bs that happens with other lines yet the (D) still ended up being the worst says a lot, the line just doesn't run enough trains from my experience. I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but it still sucks seeing other lines like the (B) and (N) showing up more often than a single (D) train. It's not a bad line, the routing is pretty good.

Actually this got me thinking and going off topic, how would service run if the (B) and (D) never swapped in Brooklyn and how well would it have ran?

The (D) having a small spare factor while being a 24/7 line (and running at 'normal' service levels) all definitely play a part in its performance, or lack thereof.

The R68s may be somewhat reliable, but they're not reliable enough to save the (D) from failure in its current state; the same goes for the R46s on their respective lines, which are in even worse shape and definitely on their last legs.

48 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Are you guys not concerned with why most of the satisfaction rates are below 50%? And by the way, which lines are scheduled to get CBTC next?

I believe all of us are concerned, it's more of the fact that we're too used to this, that we see it as normal for the most part. I mean the satisfaction rate the MTA was looking for was 45% with barely half of all lines didn't reach. 

6 Av, 8 Av, and Crosstown are slated to get CBTC next, not all at once obviously.

30 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

The (D) having a small spare factor while being a 24/7 line (and running at 'normal' service levels) all definitely play a part in its performance, or lack thereof.

The R68s may be somewhat reliable, but they're not reliable enough to save the (D) from failure in its current state; the same goes for the R46s on their respective lines, which are in even worse shape and definitely on their last legs.

I don't know if you know this, but the difference between now and say 2019, 2018, 2017, etc. isn't really any different whatsoever. I should know since I still take the (D) train to this day (not as often) and still see the same exact thing happening. With barely any (D) train showing up along West End, along 4 Av, along 6 Av, it's been like this for years. I end up waiting 20-25 mins on average for one to appear. The only thing I would be seeing is a (B) or/and (N) showing up more 3/4's of the time.

I don't even think spare factor is even the issue here either because nothing's changed, it's pretty much the same as always, a hit or miss line. And judging by what the survey says, Broadway is doing fine, much better than all of 6 Av combined.

1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

Wtf , that’s sick. I get what they’re doing is extremely reckless and they’re basically asking to get hurt , but wanting them to get hurt and “ permanently removed from the gene pool “ is ridiculous 

Why are you worried about people who don’t care about their own lives ? If they don’t care about risking their lives I sure don’t. As part of my career in RTO we were shown pictures of the aftermath of 12-9 incidents. Some of us couldn’t take it and left the room. My take was that an accidental death like a slip or fall or a crime victim deserved my sympathy but an idiot playing games deserves to pay a price. I have been at the scene of two accidental deaths by my personal choice and I have seen how much it affected the T/O and C/R of both trains. My buddy was an RCI at West 4th at the time of the first accident and he and the Zone Trainmaster asked me if I wanted to tag along with them because I was off duty and I said “yes “ . I have no sympathy for someone who thinks that surfing is a game. I know how it affected the crews. I have a friend who had 4 12-9 s who became a property protection agent because it bothered him so much. Unless you’ve witnessed those things up close your opinion and mine will always be at odds. I lived near Prospect Park years ago and two youngsters decided to climb into the bears cage one day. Only one came out alive. The other one ran all the way home before telling anyone. We naturally felt sorry for the fatality but some of us were angry that they put the bear to sleep. We neighborhood folks figured that the kid shouldn’t have been there, period.  That’s what I feel about the surfers. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Additional thought

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

I believe all of us are concerned, it's more of the fact that we're too used to this, that we see it as normal for the most part. I mean the satisfaction rate the MTA was looking for was 45% with barely half of all lines didn't reach. 

6 Av, 8 Av, and Crosstown are slated to get CBTC next, not all at once obviously.

I don't know if you know this, but the difference between now and say 2019, 2018, 2017, etc. isn't really any different whatsoever. I should know since I still take the (D) train to this day (not as often) and still see the same exact thing happening. With barely any (D) train showing up along West End, along 4 Av, along 6 Av, it's been like this for years. I end up waiting 20-25 mins on average for one to appear. The only thing I would be seeing is a (B) or/and (N) showing up more 3/4's of the time.

I don't even think spare factor is even the issue here either because nothing's changed, it's pretty much the same as always, a hit or miss line. And judging by what the survey says, Broadway is doing fine, much better than all of 6 Av combined.

Interesting; Well I guess it's Concourse's fault then. From what I hear, they're a small yard and can barely handle the cars they have now.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

They’re (G)lad to see R160s on their line.

As for the (B) and (D), I think everyone on here pretty much knows the reason Transit switched them in 2004 when the 6th Ave Manhattan Bridge tracks reopened. They could have just as easily brought them back to their pre-2001 Brooklyn routes by upgrading the (B) to 24/7 service via the West End Line and extended to 205th Street, while downgrading the (D) to weekdays-only service on the Brighton Express. But they didn’t. Even if they did we’d likely still have the same maddening delays at DeKalb Junction and long waits for the next train after every two trains that pass through Canal or Grand. But that’s for another discussion…

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Subway satisfaction rates line by line, the non shuttle routes with the highest rankings are the (L)(G) and (Q) . IDK why the (G) is rated so high but the (L) and (Q) rankings being the best in the B div I agree with.

5svhl3ulz3p91.jpg

The fact that 52-53% is considered 'high' is pathetic. Even 69% is still low.

Not suprising at all; as I stated before, this is the (MTA).