SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can someone refresh my memory as to why it took them 19 years to rebuild Cortlandt St?

The MTA and the Port Authority Going back and forth for years to finalize a contract to rebuild it plus construction delays due to The MTA having to rebuild right under WTC and there were complications 

16 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Why are you worried about people who don’t care about their own lives ? If they don’t care about risking their lives I sure don’t. As part of my career in RTO we were shown pictures of the aftermath of 12-9 incidents. Some of us couldn’t take it and left the room. My take was that an accidental death like a slip or fall or a crime victim deserved my sympathy but an idiot playing games deserves to pay a price. I have been at the scene of two accidental deaths by my personal choice and I have seen how much it affected the T/O and C/R of both trains. My buddy was an RCI at West 4th at the time of the first accident and he and the Zone Trainmaster asked me if I wanted to tag along with them because I was off duty and I said “yes “ . I have no sympathy for someone who thinks that surfing is a game. I know how it affected the crews. I have a friend who had 4 12-9 s who became a property protection agent because it bothered him so much. Unless you’ve witnessed those things up close your opinion and mine will always be at odds. I lived near Prospect Park years ago and two youngsters decided to climb into the bears cage one day. Only one came out alive. The other one ran all the way home before telling anyone. We naturally felt sorry for the fatality but some of us were angry that they put the bear to sleep. We neighborhood folks figured that the kid shouldn’t have been there, period.  That’s what I feel about the surfers. Carry on.

It’s nothing about being worried about them or having sympathy. Yes if they get hurt that’s on them, oh well , they shouldn’t have been doing it but they’re still kids, I  would not like to see kids dying or getting hurt nor would I wish that on them. They don’t deserve to pay a price wtf , that’s mad weird especially since you’ve witnessed it and what it does to people , why the f**k would you want that. “ But that’s just my opinion, carry on 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by Maxwell179

7 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

It’s nothing about being worried about them or having sympathy. Yes if they get hurt that’s on them, oh well , they shouldn’t have been doing it but they’re still kids, I  would not like to see kids dying or getting hurt nor would I wish that on them. They don’t deserve to pay a price wtf , that’s mad weird especially since you’ve witnessed it and what it does to people , why the f**k would you want that. “ But that’s just my opinion, carry on 🤷🏾‍♂️

Natural selection is cruel. Misfits don’t live. That’s just the reality of it.

I noticed a unique feature of the trains on the subway: the door mechanism. All current trains have a separate motor for each door panel. Most other rapid transit systems around the world use one mechanism and both panels are mechanically linked. I don't know the reason for this decision on the subway.

3 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I noticed a unique feature of the trains on the subway: the door mechanism. All current trains have a separate motor for each door panel. Most other rapid transit systems around the world use one mechanism and both panels are mechanically linked. I don't know the reason for this decision on the subway.

It's quite simple if you think about it. Each entry point on an IRT car has 2 door leafs, meaning six per side. Six separate door motors. If there's a problem with 1 door leaf you'd only cut out that individual door panel. That still leaves a (1/2) entry /exit point available. The systems you have described, with mechanically linked panels mean increased dwell times as passengers scramble to find an available entry point because that whole entry point is disabled. Remember that NYCT runs 51', 60', and 75' subway cars with 6 (IRT) or 8 door openings per car. Commuter railroads like LIRR or MNRR have different procedures in place, IIRC. Hope this answers your query. Carry on.

According to what I was taught in Schoolcar, if both panels in a single doorway are cut out, the train has to be taken out of service. TSS made a point of ensuring we check the other panel in the pair. 

meanwhile a train with a completely isolated car can remain in service... Why not just have me isolate the car with the two busted panels and save the train? 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

According to what I was taught in Schoolcar, if both panels in a single doorway are cut out, the train has to be taken out of service. TSS made a point of ensuring we check the other panel in the pair. 

meanwhile a train with a completely isolated car can remain in service... Why not just have me isolate the car with the two busted panels and save the train? 

In my 30 years in RTO I have never come across that situation. The emphasis was on usable door panels. I remember being a C/R on the (3) line where a Motor Instructor had me isolate my operating car because the end door panel glass on the other end of my car was missing. I went from Lenox to Flatbush Avenue in an air conditioned car alone with my offside position having the mate of the A/C married pair. 2 air conditioned cars on a 9 car consist was considered hitting the jackpot back then.

As for your take on the completely isolated car I see your point but I came into 14st- Union Square with my southbound (5) on pm rush and the passengers looked lost and confused even when the gap fillers extended to my isolated M/M’s car . Rule was that I couldn’t turn off the lights in my car. I basically had to open my cab window and tell the people to move back to the other cars.

My memories 😃. Be safe. Carry on.

41 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

In my 30 years in RTO I have never come across that situation. The emphasis was on usable door panels. I remember being a C/R on the (3) line where a Motor Instructor had me isolate my operating car because the end door panel glass on the other end of my car was missing. I went from Lenox to Flatbush Avenue in an air conditioned car alone with my offside position having the mate of the A/C married pair. 2 air conditioned cars on a 9 car consist was considered hitting the jackpot back then.

As for your take on the completely isolated car I see your point but I came into 14st- Union Square with my southbound (5) on pm rush and the passengers looked lost and confused even when the gap fillers extended to my isolated M/M’s car . Rule was that I couldn’t turn off the lights in my car. I basically had to open my cab window and tell the people to move back to the other cars.

My memories 😃. Be safe. Carry on.

There were two incidents way back (around 2006) when I was on my way to school on the (N) with individual train cars being pulled from service but keeping the train in service. First incident was when the first car had to be cut out of service and I had to ride in the second car, which wasn’t too bad (just felt weird being further back), but the second incident was strange. The back 3 cars of the 8-car train were out of service (an R68), and at each station the train would be delayed by an extra few seconds with the conductor having to yell at the top of her lungs that the back half of the train was out of service and people either had to wait for the (W) or run to the first 5 cars (her CR position car or further forward). I think if more than one car needs to be cut out of service, the whole train should be removed to prevent this

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I rode an R179 on the (J) where this happened. The conductor isolated a car because it lost indication at Fulton Street and kept the train moving after that.

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Had my first faulty door… one of those cheap Bic pens, the kind you get like 50 in a box at Staples for $10, was jammed in the door track. Getting the pen out was easy… no, instead… the train was almost pulled from service instead because my key got stuck in the cut out switch…

Well, shit. I'm just glad it didn't get pulled.

I can't help but think someone was "experimenting" with that pen. I realize I'm saying that without a shred of evidence to back it up, but it's a natural conclusion.

RandomQuestion: Is there a source somewhere that states that the (3) was planned to get the R142/As when new?

I've heard multiple people say this in the past, and I have a hard time believing it for the following reasons:

The (3) is only a part-time line, and is the least used line in the A-division; Plus it already had the newest fleet before the R142/As: the R62As. Why then would they get the newest fleet again?

The (4) getting them always made more sense from a logical standpoint, since they're a full-time, and heavily used line. 

To all the old folks lacking the sophistication to understand that an express train does not go faster when it skips 0 stops, and that it often stalls between stations if the next one is the last stop… 🤦‍♂️

This lady at Sheepshead Bay was facing the (Q) when both the (B) and (Q) trains entered the station simultaneously. She turned around to get on the (B) to Brighton Beach even though the (Q) opened its doors first.

The Marc Jacobs wrap on the R160A cars 8409-8412 and 8453-8456 have been taken off. The wraps are probably a monthly or more to be seen outside. 

Also, 9943-9974 have been seen more on the (M) line recently. They do have CBTC on those cars, 8613-8652 are still set to be just on the (J)(Z) trains. 8377-8612 are rotated to the (J)(M)(Z) all but the (L) . 

Edited by Calvin

57 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The Marc Jacobs wrap on the R160A cars 8409-8412 and 8453-8456 have been taken off. The wraps are probably a monthly or more to be seen outside. 

Also, 9943-9974 have been seen more on the (M) line recently. They do have CBTC on those cars, 8613-8652 are still set to be just on the (J)(Z) trains. 8377-8612 are rotated to the (J)(M)(Z) all but the (L) . 

This means that all the R160s have CBTC now.

1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Why do all the R160s need to have CBTC?

You're joking, right? You do know how self-explanatory this is, right? Screw it, I'll answer. Some time in the future, the (MTA) is going to want all lines upgraded to CBTC. Because of this, they need to run each and every train that is compatible with CBTC to be equiped with one. This would allow for any reroutes necessary during some track work, construction, and whatever else the (MTA) does that forces a train to be rerouted. Flexibility is going to be lost if they don't which is a major downside. 

1 minute ago, Kamen Rider said:

Check off another first for me…

my partner hit a signal. 

2 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Check off another first for me…

my partner hit a signal. 

Consider that part of the learning experience. As long as you followed school car instructions you’ll be fine.