SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

@Garibaldi: Then MetroNorth must have more civilized clientele. The only places where I have run into such people are small town transit systems, and even those have problems with blasting of music through crappy earbuds, and while I haven't seen it myself, I'm sure fare beating can also be a problem. You'd be hard pressed to find well behaved riders in the Toronto area, with some exceptions, and I'm not talking about cleanliness but etiquette in general.

And your second point is self defeating... if lighting (and interior design in general) is subjective, how can it be that one train provides better lighting than another? Is that not up to the individual in question to decide? Not all riders hate old vehicles by the way... some, like my mom, agree that some vehicles look more dated than others but value them due to their historical value.

1. lol... Yes, the clientele riding make a big difference.  Similar deal with the express bus.  

2. Not really.  I mean whenever the (MTA) orders new buses or subway cars, the goal is for them to be nicer and brighter inside and I find that usually to be the case.  Unless you're blind it would be hard not to notice the difference in brightness between a newer car (i.e. R142 and a R62).

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. lol... Yes, the clientele riding make a big difference.  Similar deal with the express bus.  

2. Not really.  I mean whenever the (MTA) orders new buses or subway cars, the goal is for them to be nicer and brighter inside and I find that usually to be the case.  Unless you're blind it would be hard not to notice the difference in brightness between a newer car (i.e. R142 and a R62).

Newer doesn't always mean better. Good example: The R160's.

I don't know about express buses, but I can't remember the last time I was on a low floor bus with a welcoming interior. As for subway cars, their interiors are meh, I don't like them too much, even at their best. At their worst, they look ghastly, see the below example.

Example - this does not look nice at all - http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?3645 I'd take an R32 over the R143 in this photo anyday. This is neat, though:

urbantoronto-918-2560.jpg

Newer doesn't always mean better. Good example: The R160's.

A better example would be the R44/46, in a historical perspective. Everyone thought what they were replacing was garbage, and look, they ended up being garbage.

Lmao, the same individual who has a crusade against anything old.  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

It's not like it matters anyway. 30 years later, VG8 will start moaning about the R142s, R142As, R143s and R160s. Pay the "Riverdale" guy no mind.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I don't know about express buses, but I can't remember the last time I was on a low floor bus with a welcoming interior. As for subway cars, their interiors are meh, I don't like them too much, even at their best. At their worst, they look ghastly, see the below example.

Example - this does not look nice at all - http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?3645 I'd take an R32 over the R143 in this photo anyday. This is neat, though:

urbantoronto-918-2560.jpg

A better example would be the R44/46, in a historical perspective. Everyone thought what they were replacing was garbage, and look, they ended up being garbage.

Are you kidding me.   Look at how clean that subway car is!!  :o  These aren't bad looking.  Kind of sterile overall, but hey at least they're clean. The seats look plush too.  You could never have those types of seats here in NYC.  Too many nasty people.  <_<

The second photo, that is nice. The first one, of the R143, is downright hideous and ranks as the second most hideous transit vehicle interior I have ever seen (not counting graffiti/vandalized ones), first one being a school bus. Under better lighting conditions they are only slightly more bearable.

And believe me, you're not missing out on anything with those seats. They are fuzzy and uncomfortable. We had much better vinyl ones, but they removed those in the interest of them being more difficult to vandalize. Nice and itchy to sit on in the summer!  <_<  Even the bucket seats of the hippos and R62/As are better.

Idiots, that's who. Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 4

Exactly.

Sometimes I wonder about you Via G. Specifically about the reason you're on this forum in the first place. You don't particularly care about mass transit, much less anything having to do with the subway or the local buses. You continually get bent out of shape when someone calls you on the bullshit you regularly spew out, and rightfully so in some cases. You also have an annoying habit of making asinine and/or otherwise ridiculous comments that might as well be articulate trolling. Your recent comments regarding the 62As returning to the 6-line are just one example of this. Discounting the fact the MTA isn't sitting on a multi-billion dollar surplus to buy brand new cars for every line, you felt the need to make your stupid comment about avoiding the 6-line because of the current car swap, even though you don't even use the Lexington Avenue line in the first damn place. It makes me wonder whether or not you're simply here to piss off as many people as you can.

Exactly.

Sometimes I wonder about you Via G. Specifically about the reason you're on this forum in the first place. You don't particularly care about mass transit, much less anything having to do with the subway or the local buses. You continually get bent out of shape when someone calls you on the bullshit you regularly spew out, and rightfully so in some cases. You also have an annoying habit of making asinine and/or otherwise ridiculous comments that might as well be articulate trolling. Your recent comments regarding the 62As returning to the 6-line are just one example of this. Discounting the fact the MTA isn't sitting on a multi-billion dollar surplus to buy brand new cars for every line, you felt the need to make your stupid comment about avoiding the 6-line because of the current car swap, even though you don't even use the Lexington Avenue line in the first damn place. It makes me wonder whether or not you're simply here to piss off as many people as you can.

And I hit my quota.How nice....

I hate seeing how the supplemental (C) train isn't so heavily traveled during most periods in the reverse peak direction, its somewhat backwater ridership. I wish it was crushloaded like the (A) too (in the reverse peak direction with residential commuters depending on the time of the weekday and/or weekend).

The only time we will ever see the (C) crowded or full to the brim is on weekends whenever Central Park has a concert. Oh, and at least in the summer time on weekends, when it gets full with Natural History of Museum communters.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I hate seeing how the supplemental (C) train isn't so heavily traveled during most periods in the reverse peak direction, its somewhat backwater ridership. I wish it was crushloaded like the (A) too (in the reverse peak direction with residential commuters depending on the time of the weekday and/or weekend).

The only time we will ever see the (C) crowded or full to the brim is on weekends whenever Central Park has a concert. Oh, and at least in the summer time on weekends, when it gets full with Natural History of Museum communters.

I'm not sure I follow. You *want* the C to be crush loaded? Why? It does its job quite well, which is being the local counterpart and feeder line to the A express. We've got enough fully packed lines as it is. Why add one more just for the sake of it?

I'm not sure I follow. You *want* the C to be crush loaded? Why? It does its job quite well, which is being the local counterpart and feeder line to the A express. We've got enough fully packed lines as it is. Why add one more just for the sake of it?

Actually no no. I like for it to be stand-room only. My mistake. Thanks for point out that big flaw in my post.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I'll be avoiding the (6) like the plague now for sure and sticking with the (4)(5) .

Im sorry but NO ONE cares , if your gonna avoid a line just because of what it's running then that is your own choice but most people that ride the (6) don't care what is on the line as long as it gets them from point A to Point B , and alot of (6) riders are happy that their R62As are back , primarily because they get to the their destinations faster.

Im sorry but NO ONE cares , if your gonna avoid a line just because of what it's running then that is your own choice but most people that ride the (6) don't care what is on the line as long as it gets them from point A to Point B , and alot of (6) riders are happy that their R62As are back , primarily because they get to the their destinations faster.

Pff please.  Someone with the name R62AR33 talking about no one cares what's running on a subway line? LOL Try telling that to the (C) riders.

Pff please.  Someone with the name R62AR33 talking about no one cares what's running on a subway line? LOL Try telling that to the (C) riders.

Last i checked they are still riding the R32s to get to their destinations because it gets them to where they have to go to. I constanstly ride the (C) and i haven't heard anything about the R160s not being on the line anymore...

How does the r62a's being on the (6) get passengers to their destination faster?

How does the r62a's being on the (6) get passengers to their destination faster?

Remember the R62As doors close faster than an R142A door and conducters on the R62As either make the announcements faster or dont make them at all. The R142A announcement is slower and the xonducters  tend to close the doors of an R62A quicker so the train leaves each station faster.

Edited by R62AR33

Good luck getting there on time if people do the same shit you're going to do.

lol, yup

Who the hell avoids a train line because of the rolling stock used?!?!

Yup, like I said in the random thoughts thread: pointless to argue. 'anything old (trains, not the buses, but probably the same deal) = bad'

Then why are you complaining. You should only complain IF you used it a lot. A lot of the (6) riders actually like the R62A's back on the (6), except for the politicians at Lexington.

He won't be satisfied till all the old trains are gone. Forget the fact that the new trains haven't been ordered yet (and if there's funding for it) or that the R62As have like another 10+ years left.

Exactly.

The irony is that avoiding a line because of a train used is EXACTLY the kind of thing foamers do, and we all know his opinion on those. He's told us often enough. :rolleyes:

WOW!!! I didn't know one person's opinion represents that of the entire subway ridership!

(C) riders will have to wait until the R179s arrive, too bad for them. :D

Remember the R62As doors close faster than an R142A door and conducters on the R62As either make the announcements faster or dont make them at all. The R142A announcement is slower and the xonducters  tend to close the doors of an R62A quicker so the train leaves each station faster.

Any benefits are mitigated by the fact that the loading times are so long.

He won't be satisfied till all the old trains are gone. Forget the fact that the new trains haven't been ordered yet (and if there's funding for it) or that the R62As have like another 10+ years left.

But by then, the current generation of trains will be dated and he will complain about those too. God help us all.