SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally believe those R32s should be placed back on the (F) and the (C) gets the R46s from the (F) because the line was less delayed when it had 60 footers, hence more doors to ease passenger flow. Jamaica had R32s before and placed them on all of their lines. The (F) has a good out-door portion to the line as well... I don't know, thats what I believe is best.

They aren't doing that. The split R/via bridge thing may be a year, but I don't think they are going to do something like what you are suggesting. Even with the issues of the fewer doors on the R46 for the F, what will you do with the C? R46s on C will mean less trains they can run because the C has a high need for spare R32s which will all be used up for the F.

I like the R32s, but at this point they are good for less demanding lines. C works because it is 18/7 and the J is pretty short.

Thanks man! : )

For those interested, this was at Pitkin Yard. Anyone can see the R38 pair and the D-Type on the same track by walking along Lincoln Avenue. The view is on a downhill ramp heading towards Linden Blvd. Just walk up that ramp and halfway up, you can see them.

You can also spot a pair of R30s (school car 8463 and Rail Adhesion Car 8558) and R27 8145 at the corner of Linden Blvd. and Eldert Lane. Walk up the driveway closest to the corner and look through the fence. 8145 is on track 9, 8463 on track 8, and 8558 on track 7. I really hope the R27 is preserved. It does need lots of work.

I saw your post on subchat; those pictures are beautiful!

Today on 8 Av the (E) beat the (A) in both directions. It is kind of sad.

I only saw R32s on the (C) and R160s on the (R).

I think there should be a transfer between Whitehall/South Ferry and Bowling Green; it has been proposed since the '70s! It would really be useful now during the Montague Closure. (R) passengers would just go transfer to the (5) and transfer to the Brooklyn (R) at Court St which is easier than alternatives.

Also, this allows (1) passengers to get a transfer to the (4) and (5).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Today's random observations:

Track replacement went down at Concourse Yard this weekend. They had quite a number of work cars there. They seem to be building some sort of shed under the boulevard bridge near the ramp to the Jerome Line. They've also did some weed and plant cutting along Paul Avenue. The R68 C Train that ran yesterday was parked near the tunnel.

Elsewhere in the yard, I noticed R26 7774-75 had no third rail shoes, nor the wood beams that support the shoes. Was wondering why they were removed, or how long ago they were gone. Also for some reason, a flatcar was hooked up to the pair.

I saw your post on subchat; those pictures are beautiful!

Thanks! : )

Edited by M. Friday 1986

I only saw R32s on the (C) and R160s on the (R).

I think there should be a transfer between Whitehall/South Ferry and Bowling Green; it has been proposed since the '70s! It would really be useful now during the Montague Closure. (R) passengers would just go transfer to the (5) and transfer to the Brooklyn (R) at Court St which is easier than alternatives.

Also, this allows (1) passengers to get a transfer to the (4) and (5).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Maybe they should connect Cortlandt Street (1) to the rest of the Fulton Center. But that wouldn't be any necessarily I guess.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Random thought; The Broadway line is the only Corridor that has 100% NTTs

I saw R46 consists today commuting from Brooklyn to Manhattan on the 4th Avenue/Broadway BMT this afternoon. Two of them. The roster sheets may say one thing but it is not static or etched on stone sort of speak. The yard dispatchers do have the flexibility to put in different fleet types as necessary, you'll have to keep that in mind.

Edited by realizm

I like to say i went to Yankee stadium on Sept 22, 2013. The commute from 33 Street  (1) to 161 Street  (D) was perfect commute. it took us about 30 minutes or less to reach the stadium. After the game is was nightmare to get home in hurry. We got downstair and the  (D) pulled in then few seconds later an announcement said "there a stalled train at 96 street and this train is staying here till further notice" According to GO the express was closed on CPW southbound.  My friend and I waited few minutes and decided to go upstair to catch the  (4). We waited till full capacity load. I believed we caught the Yankee Special. The terminal was Bowling Green. Anyway, we crawled all the way to 125 street. We stood outside 125 street for like 10 minutes because they kept playing the announcement "ladies and gentlemen we are being delayed because there train traffic ahead." I am getting sick of that announcement. After we pulled into 125 street, we was rocking and rolling to 59 street. Then again the  (4) train crawled and stayed in certain spot for 5 minutes. Then live conductor came on and said"this train is ending at 42 street due to server congestion south of 42 street." Meanwhile this train was supposed to go all the way down to Bowling Green. Everybody got to get off at 42 Street. I had to head toward Port Authority or Penn Station. After taking the shuttle, I couldnt find the hallway to Port Authority so i wind up on the  (1) train to 33 street. I got on my train in time to go home. After i got on the Nj side, I texted my friend to see if he was on SI ferry boat. Never heard from him till like 30 minutes later. I was like holy cow what the hell took him so long. I asked him to called me and he told me that most of the train kept turning around to go back uptown. I was like this  (MTA)was really screw up.

Now we knew there was some option to transfer

1-was 59 street to  (N)  (R)

2-was 42 street to shuttle then  (N)  (R)  (1)

but we didnt know all this can happen this bad. 

Why is that sad? The (A) only makes 2 less stops than the (E) (or 3 if you count 50 St).

What WAS sad was last pick when my (C) would consistently beat my following (A) to 168! Even if we made a connection at W4 or 14 St, I would leave that (A) in the dust, and any chance it had of catching up to us on CPW would get squashed when it got plugged by a (D) trying to enter 59 St.

Speaking of, saw three R62A (6) trains in as many minutes this morning. Two back to back southbound and one northbound, all came into the station around the same time. I ended up getting a set from the (1), interestingly had some of the strip map stickers removed. Nice and old school seeing the old 6 local and 6 express rollsigns in use.

1891-1895 on the 7, how long has that been? That set is part of a train currently sitting disabled outside of Main Street with some workers around it, not sure what went down.

1891-1895 on the 7, how long has that been? That set is part of a train currently sitting disabled outside of Main Street with some workers around it, not sure what went down.Around the time the US Open started.
Longer than that actually, that's the only loaner set left I believe. Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah? Anyway I gotta say, today's R62A (6) was a lot better than the first one as the A/C worked, but you really notice the difference in loading times with those doors. Luckily my daily T/O was hauling, but it's definitely a little bit slower. Today was the first morning that the 62s really dominated the Lex, never seen so many sets sent out so closely before. One thing I dig is the old rollsign for Parkchester; I hadn't seen the old E. 177 St label in years since the NTTs negate that entirely.