SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Yeah? Anyway I gotta say, today's R62A (6) was a lot better than the first one as the A/C worked, but you really notice the difference in loading times with those doors. Luckily my daily T/O was hauling, but it's definitely a little bit slower. Today was the first morning that the 62s really dominated the Lex, never seen so many sets sent out so closely before. One thing I dig is the old rollsign for Parkchester; I hadn't seen the old E. 177 St label in years since the NTTs negate that entirely. 

Start getting used to it again , now is that the swaps are really going to start  . during the course of next year you will start seeing much more R62As back on the (6) and less R142As..

Edited by R62AR33

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet the R188 still hasn't started service.

Some of the 19xx / 20xx / 21xx cars have full cabs now (only on one end, the 0/5 end). Here is a list:

1975, 1995, 2020, 2035, 2045, 2080, 2105, 2115, 2120, 2135, 2140

1651 has it's full cab back. 1656, 1661 and 1666 still have transverse (single) cabs. 1661 is still part of the t-mobile train.

Also, the Head & Shoulders Ad wrap train is gone. (1701 was in there and now it has those American Express strip ads).

Oh, and a question... which is faster? The Q60 from LIC to Sutphin / Archer or the (7) at 40 St to the (E) at Sutphin / Archer? 

Start getting used to it again , now is that the swaps are really going to start . during the course of next year you will start seeing much more R62As back on the (6) and less R142As..

Definitely am, had an R62A this morning as well and that was on a different run than usual too. This was the 1720s set from the 7, finally getting regular AM use.

Been like that for months. One ran during the overnight last month.

Not really. I take the 6 every morning, the R62As are much more regular now, and this has only been the past couple weeks. Obviously the trains have been here, but not dominating the line this much.

@VG8: They're not too bad, just more crowded really.

Not really. I take the 6 every morning, the R62As are much more regular now, and this has only been the past couple weeks. Obviously the trains have been here, but not dominating the line this much.

@VG8: They're not too bad, just more crowded really.

I can imagine... The A/C is lacking on those cars too.  I always make sure to get in the middle of the car whenever I use the (1) .

Good luck getting there on time if people do the same shit you're going to do.

Who the hell avoids a train line because of the rolling stock used?!?!

People that are either on politics or think they're mad fancy or rich.

lol... I don't have to use the Lex line at all and in fact I haven't used the Lex line in months... I have the BxM1 and Metro North from Riverdale for East Side access.  :D

I can imagine... The A/C is lacking on those cars too.  I always make sure to get in the middle of the car whenever I use the (1) .

lol... I don't have to use the Lex line at all and in fact I haven't used the Lex line in months... I have the BxM1 and Metro North from Riverdale for East Side access.  :D

Then why are you complaining. You should only complain IF you used it a lot. A lot of the (6) riders actually like the R62A's back on the (6), except for the politicians at Lexington.

Then why are you complaining. You should only complain IF you used it a lot. A lot of the (6) riders actually like the R62A's back on the (6), except for the politicians at Lexington.

Well I have the (1) to complain about remember? Nevertheless, when I do use the Lex line, I generally prefer the (6) as it is usually just as fast as the (4)(5), so that's why I'm complaining.  So it'll be packed (4)(5) trains but better A/C and lighting or darker smellier (6) trains. lol  

Well I have the (1) to complain about remember? Nevertheless, when I do use the Lex line, I generally prefer the (6) as it is usually just as fast as the (4)(5), so that's why I'm complaining.  So it'll be packed (4)(5) trains but better A/C and lighting or darker smellier (6) trains. lol  

I'm a daily (1) train rider and I don't have any complaints about the equipment. If I get a train, I get it. No complains from the other passengers either. The (4) and (5) screw up a lot so the (6) is better no matter what it has running.

I'm a daily (1) train rider and I don't have any complaints about the equipment. If I get a train, I get it. No complains from the other passengers either. The (4) and (5) screw up a lot so the (6) is better no matter what it has running.

Well of course.  No one is going to get on a train complaining out loud, but if you ask them they may display some displeasure.  I'm sure some would say the same about the old (6) train cars coming back on the line.  I know I used to say the same thing to myself when I saw an old express bus pulling up to my stop.  Most people like new.... It's usually just a better experience overall.  Better A/C, cleaner, better lighting and so on.

Well of course.  No one is going to get on a train complaining out loud, but if you ask them they may display some displeasure.  I'm sure some would say the same about the old (6) train cars coming back on the line.  I know I used to say the same thing to myself when I saw an old express bus pulling up to my stop.  Most people like new.... It's usually just a better experience overall.  Better A/C, cleaner, better lighting and so on.

Oh I've asked a lot of fellow (1) riders about the ride for years and most said they liked it. The express bus might be "fancy" and other shit, but I don't feel like paying $6 for a bus that doesn't come often. Keep your express thing, but most are better off with the subway on a good day.

How do you define "better lighting"? I hate to break it to you, Mr. President-of-non-enthusiast-passengers, but lighting is not a one size fits all solution. What one passenger might like another might depise, and vice versa. That goes for interior designs in general, ergo you cannot claim that a train has better lighting then the other in any way besides that of your own opinion.

Also, how long do you think a vehicle will stay clean in a city like New York, exactly? Transit passengers are pigs, they will ruin whatever rolling stock they set foot on.

How do you define "better lighting"? I hate to break it to you, Mr. President-of-non-enthusiast-passengers, but lighting is not a one size fits all solution. What one passenger might like another might depise, and vice versa. That goes for interior designs in general, ergo you cannot claim that a train has better lighting then the other in any way besides that of your own opinion.

Also, how long do you think a vehicle will stay clean in a city like New York, exactly? Transit passengers are pigs, they will ruin whatever rolling stock they set foot on.

lol... The Metro North trains are fairly clean, so I guess it depends on who is using the subways right?

Oh I've asked a lot of fellow (1) riders about the ride for years and most said they liked it. The express bus might be "fancy" and other shit, but I don't feel like paying $6 for a bus that doesn't come often. Keep your express thing, but most are better off with the subway on a good day.

LOL... Really? I find that funny.

I'll gladly keep my 5 - 15 minute express bus service.  Clean buses, no riff-raff.  Thank you very much for taking the (1);)  

What the hell are you trying to get at?

Also, you didn't answer my question as to what is considered better lighting.

You said that transit riders are pigs and I said that depends on who is riding them, as not all trains I use are filthy.  And yes lighting is subjective but usually newer trains provide better lighting, at least here in the city anyway.

@Around the Horn: Sometimes people look over posts, no big deal.

@Garibaldi: Then MetroNorth must have more civilized clientele. The only places where I have run into such people are small town transit systems, and even those have problems with blasting of music through crappy earbuds, and while I haven't seen it myself, I'm sure fare beating can also be a problem. You'd be hard pressed to find well behaved riders in the Toronto area, with some exceptions, and I'm not talking about cleanliness but etiquette in general.

And your second point is self defeating... if lighting (and interior design in general) is subjective, how can it be that one train provides better lighting than another? Is that not up to the individual in question to decide? Not all riders hate old vehicles by the way... some, like my mom, agree that some vehicles look more dated than others but value them due to their historical value.