SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Catch 22. That might lead to overcapacity moments at stations and crushloaded cars with the reduction of TPH on the IRT lines.

There is only really 3 solutions to this problem: implementation of SBS service, full completion of the Second Ave Subway all phases, or serious reconstruction at certain terminals such as with the case with Flatbush Avenue which was not designed as a terminal (The Flatbush IRT was supposed to be extended to Voorhies  Avenue as per IND Second System plans, to merge into the never built Utica Avenue line) , or installation of CBTC on the Brooklyn IRT. Either way none of this even being possible today because of lack of funding and lack of political will to implement at least the engineering studies towards reconsidering such past proposals let alone the complete construction of the SAS or supplemental SBS service running parallel to these routes.

Right, I've been on the (1) line where a couple of trains had to pass in order to get on. I was thinking of the QB line sometime it  crawls because of train congestion.

As for the Nonstrand Ave Line, what was the IRT's planned last stop, and why did Flatbush become the terminal?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Voorhies Ave was supposed to be the last stop according to IND Second Ave plans, in following up with the IRT's original intentions of extending the Flatbush Ave Line at approximately the same location with the Dual Contacts hence the unfinished station with a block wall which is now a terminal as it is today. (Both he BMT and IRT went broke hence the unfinished work in tons of places throughout the BMT and IRT divisions today) The IND years later in the 1930's began to plan to finish what was supposed to be done under the IRT during the Dual Contract days bt instead as an IRT merge into the IND Second System Utica Ave line. That never happened either because of World War 2 and the nations refocus from public works projects towards the war effort.

Just asking How much is the MTA's power bill? those trains need 600 volts to run so i am expecting there bill to be big.

Second question. Where does all that power come from?

(a secret nuclear reactor in one of the abandoned subway stations like worth street  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: )   

Where do you think it comes from? Where does everyone else in the city get their power...

A power plant. The thing with the a secret nuclear reactor in one of the abandoned subway stations like worth street is just a joke. Come on man why did you click that red down arrow for? I will click the green arrow on your reply just to show that i have compassion. 

Edited by Airplanepilotgod8888

Probably asking for a specific source.  Why are everyone here so quick to conclusion...this is why I think the up/down vote system is retarded and people take it the wrong way.

That's what I'm saying. Posting a legitimate question or a simple opposing point in a debatable topic does not define a personal attack justifying a red. 

Just asking How much is the MTA's power bill? those trains need 600 volts to run so i am expecting there bill to be big.

(a secret nuclear reactor in one of the abandoned subway stations like worth street  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: )

In regards to the first question no idea. The MTA finance committee does not publicly reveal such information to my knowledge. Reasons due to problems with the Albany assembly and the approval of budgets with money allocated to the MTA and the audits that comes along with it, but that's another story.

On the second question: The power sources are centralized into 215 substations scattered throughout the subway system at street level. Most are modern and are equipped with transformers. and voltage regulators as well as circuit breakers to feed electricity from New York Power Authority. The electrical power is distributed throughout the system from 2,500 miles of throughout the city to the substations. The power required to operate the subway system during peak hours is about 496,900 kilowatts. On a yearly basis the subway uses 1.8 billion kilowatt hours. Enough to light up a minor city in it's entirety.

The third rails requires 625 volts DC for train operation.

To my knowledge there may be one or two substations with 60 cycle rotary converters operational on the IND but this as of 1996-97, it could have been modernized by now such as the substation @ Jay Street very likely from past rebuilding I have seen there in recent years. All other rotary converter systems has been eliminated and substations (Such as the one @ New Uterect and 62nd street on the intersect of the BMT West End and Sea Beach lines) are now modernized with the equipment listed above.

Edited by realizm

Probably asking for a specific source.  Why are everyone here so quick to conclusion...this is why I think the up/down vote system is retarded and people take it the wrong way.

My main issue was that he created a new thread for such a simple question, but since it got moved I'll reverse my downvote.  (Metaphorically, since you can't actually do it...)

I reversed one two of your downvotes Airplane. Bumping the answer to your question as posted in the previous page. Yes peacemak3r for the record again I didn't see the justification for six negs over his question either I agree. That was a good question which merits a solid answer.

In regards to the first question no idea. The MTA finance committee does not publicly reveal such information to my knowledge. Reasons due to problems with the Albany assembly and the approval of budgets with money allocated to the MTA and the audits that comes along with it, but that's another story.

On the second question: The power sources are centralized into 215 substations scattered throughout the subway system at street level. Most are modern and are equipped with transformers. and voltage regulators as well as circuit breakers to feed electricity from New York Power Authority. The electrical power is distributed throughout the system from 2,500 miles of throughout the city to the substations. The power required to operate the subway system during peak hours is about 496,900 kilowatts. On a yearly basis the subway uses 1.8 billion kilowatt hours. Enough to light up a minor city in it's entirety.

The third rails requires 625 volts DC for train operation.

To my knowledge there may be one or two substations with 60 cycle rotary converters operational on the IND but this as of 1996-97, it could have been modernized by now such as the substation @ Jay Street very likely from past rebuilding I have seen there in recent years. All other rotary converter systems has been eliminated and substations (Such as the one @ New Uterect and 62nd street on the intersect of the BMT West End and Sea Beach lines) are now modernized with the equipment listed above.

Edited by realizm

Seeing his posts about 'dangerous loading conditions on the 1' (in the revive the 9 thread), it's kinda hard to tell if he's being serious or just trolling. So he hasn't exactly have a good record to start with. But that said he could've been more specific than so broad and general. 

Doubt he's trolling, I know a troll when I see one trust me. Equivalent of wallyhorse. Does wally have a good record? Not exactly but he isn't no troll, just has an active imagination on subway proposals and he never disrespects ppl. So there's a difference.

However some members can be fine at first then develop the tendancy to become trolls as they cant leave the garbage at the door. We just had a very recent example of one member and how he turned out to be from senior member to shit.

An ex- mod for that matter. That's how I look at things on an image board. I think it goes without saying here so I'll omit the usernames since this is open conversation.

Edited by realizm

The art installation Masstransiscope by Bill Brand has delighted Brooklyn subway passengers since 1980. Go behind the scenes to see how it was recently restored for a new generation of riders to enjoy.

Bill Brand: http://www.bboptics.com/
MTA Arts for Transit and Urban Design: http://www.mta.info/art

Well in my opinion, subway commuters tend to travel in Manhattan-centric patterns in the sense of midtown and downtown Manhattan access in the business districts. Areas such as the UWS and Harlem are more or less residential areas with good transit coverage. That may have to be considered. Yes I know, that is questionable what I may be stating but this is what I initially think.

The IND made an error in how they laid out the plans for the IND Crosstown line in that it does not allow for access to manhattan first of all, which is why you are proposing this, which is commendable. Second mistake in this was that they failed to consider that a crosstown line should really travel en route into the Bronx for the IND Crosstown line as originally proposed, then built, to make actual sense, aside from the fact that it provides access to Forest Hills and Jamaica.

The original intentions of the IND Crosstown Line was as a feeder into the Culver Viaduct, then into the Ft Hamilton line (never built) into proposed Staten Island Tubes (You know this just stating it for the record) and in the reverse direction as a feeder line into the current Queens Bvld Line, pre 63rd street decades later. The Bronx was neglected. that was the mistake. Second mistake, no access to the heart of the Big Apple.

That was why Jay Walder proposed the Triboro RX line to make up for the errors made by the IND originally in how they made the blueprints for the IND Crosstown line. As the IND never anticipated that eventually the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn will go through a serious population boom necessetating a capable Crosstown line connecting all major outerboro trunk lines.

Edited by realizm

Today at 59th Street-Columbus Circle (IND) at about 9:30pm I saw an R160 (C), an R32 (C), an R68 school car, a work train, and two R46 (A) trains heading uptown, and an R68 (D), two R46 (A) trains, an R68A (B) train, an R32 (C), and a sperry car heading downtown before the first uptown (D), all in about 10 or 15 minutes.

Then that same uptown (D) got held for a (B) connection behind it.