SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you talking about employment in the MTA or simply in general? Either way, it's because of the current economic conditions. Employers are less likely to hire new employees when there is uncertainty in the economy. Then there's the issue of so many people looking for so few jobs that the likelihood of actually obtaining a job is becoming smaller and smaller.

Mostly Mta employment, but you and chris were spot on and thanks for the quick responses I'll probably attend a two year college and then go from there.

Today I was meeting some friends for a late afternoon lunch in Ozone Park. Since work ended rather early for me I decided to make a Transit Museum run to kill some time. (I’ll load some pictures soon eventually).  R44 5240 gives off a somewhat annoying, continuous, high-pitched sound undercar. It sounds electrical.  What’s causing that sound and is it something that can be shut off?

Also, I walked by Pitkin Yard along Linden Blvd just a little while ago and I remembered asking about R27, 8145 a while back on here, so I went to check it and the other school car 8463 out for myself. When I saw 8145 today, its portable A/C units were pulled out from the windows and end roll signs removed. And it’s really dirty exterior-wise. For something that’s supposedly owned by the Transit Museum, it’s certainly been let go.  I hope it's being truly preserved and not otherwise.

MF '86

<4>

Edited by M. Friday 1986

Today I was meeting some friends for a late afternoon lunch in Ozone Park. Since work ended rather early for me I decided to make a Transit Museum run to kill some time. (I’ll load some pictures soon eventually).  R44 5240 gives off a somewhat annoying, continuous, high-pitched sound undercar. It sounds electrical.  What’s causing that sound and is it something that can be shut off?

Also, I walked by Pitkin Yard along Linden Blvd just a little while ago and I remembered asking about R27, 8145 a while back on here, so I went to check it and the other school car 8463 out for myself. When I saw 8145 today, its portable A/C units were pulled out from the windows and end roll signs removed. And it’s really dirty exterior-wise. For something that’s supposedly owned by the Transit Museum, it’s certainly been let go.  I hope it's being truly preserved and not otherwise.

MF '86

<4>

I hope it is getting truly preserved to and I your post on Subchat

I hope it is getting truly preserved to and I your post on Subchat

I hope so. It would be something to m/u with 8506.

Also:

Earlier this evening, R36WF cars 9586-87 were in the process of being moved from Concourse Yard. They made up the 5th and 6th cars of a 10 car consist, all of them the R33ML TOMC. Perhaps heading to 207 Street Yard?  Took pics, thought not of the best quality. Will try to put them up soon.

MF '86

<4>

Edited by M. Friday 1986

Catch 22. That might lead to overcapacity moments at stations and crushloaded cars with the reduction of TPH on the IRT lines.

There is only really 3 solutions to this problem: implementation of SBS service, full completion of the Second Ave Subway all phases, or serious reconstruction at certain terminals such as with the case with Flatbush Avenue which was not designed as a terminal (The Flatbush IRT was supposed to be extended to Voorhies  Avenue as per IND Second System plans, to merge into the never built Utica Avenue line) , or installation of CBTC on the Brooklyn IRT. Either way none of this even being possible today because of lack of funding and lack of political will to implement at least the engineering studies towards reconsidering such past proposals let alone the complete construction of the SAS or supplemental SBS service running parallel to these routes.

Opening up a political can of worms here but I think the politicians better hurry up because New York isn't getting any smaller in population. Not that they care..... they could care less about the average New Yorkers dependant on a subway system, the fare hikes makes that clearly apparent, and that's just the start ....

Edited by realizm

I was so glad that the weekend General Order (J) shuttle was permanently discontinued because almost no one used it. 

(4)(5) riders who want service to Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan can just stay on the (2)(3) all the way there. Those who want faster service to Midtown can just transfer to the (D), (N) or (Q) at Alantic Avenue-Barclays Center since they cross over the Manhattan Bridge. The  (R) train is also another alternative in Lower Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn.

So there was no point in wasting money on something that was useless and also having the (J) train run in two sections when the (2), (3), (D), (N), (Q) and (R) trains are the easiest alternatives for (4)(5) riders due to the very obvious aforementioned reasons.
Edited by RollOverMyHead

I was so glad that the weekend General Order (J) shuttle was permanently discontinued because almost no one used it. 

(4)(5) riders who want service to Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan can just stay on the (2)(3) all the way there. Those who want faster service to Midtown can just transfer to the (D), (N) or (Q) at Alantic Avenue-Barclays Center since they cross over the Manhattan Bridge. The  (R) train is also another alternative in Lower Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn.

So there was no point in wasting money and also having the (J) train run in two sections when the (2), (3), (D), (N), (Q) and (R) trains are the easiest alternatives for (4)(5) riders due to the very obvious aforementioned reasons.

When did you hear that and whats your source?A document would be an interesting read...

When did you hear that and whats your source?A document would be an interesting read...

Hey I have been riding the Brooklyn IRT my whole childhood to accommodate such. I don't need a document telling me whatnot. I experience it with my own two eyes. Since the (2), (3), (4) and (5) serve the same stations in Downtown Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan, nobody changed over to the (J) and keep their one-seated ride. That shuttle that ran between Essex Street and Prospect Park via the (R) and (Q) lines was empty everytime it passed by. Makes sense doesn't it?

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Hey I have been riding the Brooklyn IRT my whole childhood to accommodate such. I don't need a document telling me whatnot. I experience it with my own two eyes. 

The story of my history here, lol. Why do I always have to provide 'top secret 'pdf  documents and media snips even though I would be more than do so just to prove a point?

No offense to you Around The Horn no doubt, all good, speaking in generalities here and not pulling punches in the least, but I've been through enough debates with some backseat train dispatchers and whatnots who insist that my observations are wrong on say (B) 's on the West End or R10's on the (C) in the 90's and how it used to work when I was riding the line as a kid? I'm not here to give a total recall.

As Trainmaster5 would say, carry on.

Edited by realizm