SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A problem with the 142 is that when you activate the PA, you have to wait a second before you can press the talk button. If you press it immediately, the mic won't activate and nobody will hear your announcement. I used a technique where I listened for a static echo before I began speaking to make sure the PA mic was on. Still, the C/R should have looked for a reaction from the customers, since when announcing a skip run, there should be some customers running off the train and standing on the platform as soon as they hear that you're skipping their station.

Which didnt happen. The automated system said next stop Bedford Park, then a gap just long enough to make a short manual announcement, then the door announcement. When the train got to Bedford Park and Mosholu, those announcements also played.

Something interesting will happen in 3 weeks assignments wise......

It must involve either the (6) / (7) or the (C) / (J)...

Edited by paulrivera

one thing i noticed it weird but i wont want to jinx the subway. all these years we hear fatality, train with mechanical problem, signal delay, derailment , broken rail condition, and congestion, but never here them had electrical problem such as missing power source between to two points. I can understand if Con edison didnt deliver power because of city black out but not electrical problem like they do on the rail. i dont know if this is possible because of the way it built in difference between the catenary wire and third rail. you think that strange?

Which didnt happen. The automated system said next stop Bedford Park, then a gap just long enough to make a short manual announcement, then the door announcement. When the train got to Bedford Park and Mosholu, those announcements also played.

It must involve either the (6) / (7) or the (C) / (J)...

Or (F) / (R)

Edited by Around the Horn

one thing i noticed it weird but i wont want to jinx the subway. all these years we hear fatality, train with mechanical problem, signal delay, derailment , broken rail condition, and congestion, but never here them had electrical problem such as missing power source between to two points. I can understand if Con edison didnt deliver power because of city black out but not electrical problem like they do on the rail. i dont know if this is possible because of the way it built in difference between the catenary wire and third rail. you think that strange?

There are the occasional "loss of power" situations that pop up, where trains will either bypass a station or be rerouted depending on the nature of the power loss.

I got a semi-canned email response about that train skip from Monday, and I'll paraphrase...

"We regret any inconvenience (blablabla) delays occur for a variety of reasons (blablabla) train dispatchers use delay management strategies (blablabla) one of our strategies is to use a battery run. (blablabla 99% of this forum knows what a battery run is) while this inconveniences some customers we try to keep the number of stations skipped to a minimum. However, supervision is instructed to ensure that timely platform announcements are made and conductors make the required announcements on board.

(Blablabla) we have referred your email to supervision in our Division of Rapid Transit Operations for review and investigation. (Blablabla) will closely monitor service on the Q line to ensure that delay management strategies are executed and adequate service announcements are made to our customers."

The rest of it was canned dribble about 511 and how a letter can be written to 2 Broadway. TBH I'm more surprised they mentioned and gave a definition of what a battery run was and that's the main reason I shared parts of the email.

I got a semi-canned email response about that train skip from Monday, and I'll paraphrase...

"We regret any inconvenience (blablabla) delays occur for a variety of reasons (blablabla) train dispatchers use delay management strategies (blablabla) one of our strategies is to use a battery run. (blablabla 99% of this forum knows what a battery run is) while this inconveniences some customers we try to keep the number of stations skipped to a minimum. However, supervision is instructed to ensure that timely platform announcements are made and conductors make the required announcements on board.

(Blablabla) we have referred your email to supervision in our Division of Rapid Transit Operations for review and investigation. (Blablabla) will closely monitor service on the Q line to ensure that delay management strategies are executed and adequate service announcements are made to our customers."

The rest of it was canned dribble about 511 and how a letter can be written to 2 Broadway. TBH I'm more surprised they mentioned and gave a definition of what a battery run was and that's the main reason I shared parts of the email.

I don't care if the response is canned, so long as the problem is corrected and that's the one thing I have been noticing at least with the buses anyway.  Management does get the complaints and usually does something to rectify the problem.

I think this is a post of importance. I have discovered that we have a situation where a young teen is missing. The NYPD are making concerted efforts to locate his whereabouts and return him safely to his parents.

Apparently he is a railfanner. I want to make everyone here aware, hence the post.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/reported-sighting-of-missing-autistic-boy-in-queens-but-still-no-sign-of-teen/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/09/police-family-intensify-search-for-missing-autistic-boy-from-queens/

The transit focused community at subchat.com are also equally concerned. Thread can be found here: 

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1252762

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – As police, family and volunteers searched for a sixth day Wednesday for a missing 14-year-old autistic boy, the teen’s relatives took the first step toward filing a lawsuit, alleging his Queens school did not do enough to prevent him from running off campus.

Meanwhile, a $5,000 reward has been offered by a local law firm for his safe return.

Avonte Oquendo has been missing since Friday. He was last seen on school surveillance video leaving the Center Boulevard School in Long Island City.

On Tuesday night, Daniel Oquendo was passing out fliers and retracing the footsteps his missing brother may have taken through Astoria.

“This was, I believe, the last possible sighting around here around 30th, 31st Avenue around Steinway there are diners I’m going to walk past,” he said.

Police have been plastering the teen’s picture everywhere, looking at places familiar to him and even combing train yards and subway tunnels in hopes for a sign.

avonte-oquendo.jpg?w=420&h=235
Avonte Oquendo (credit: NYPD)

“This young man apparently had a fascination with trains, so we’re going forward on that,” Kelly said.

Friends, family members and even strangers also have been putting up signs. “Now we’re on day five and it’s devastating, but we all have very strong will power,” Daniel Oquendo said. “We’re out here. We’re looking.”

Police said the young man they found in East Harlem had been missing since Tuesday morning. His identity has not been released.

Edited by realizm

I think this is a post of importance. I have discovered that we have a situation where a young teen is missing. The NYPD are making concerted efforts to locate his whereabouts and return him safely to his parents.

Apparently he is a railfanner. I want to make everyone here aware, hence the post.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/reported-sighting-of-missing-autistic-boy-in-queens-but-still-no-sign-of-teen/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/09/police-family-intensify-search-for-missing-autistic-boy-from-queens/

The transit focused community at subchat.com are also equally concerned. Thread can be found here: 

http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=1252762

Damn I hope he is sound and I also hope that he isnt one of the forum members who was ridiculed on this forum and driven to run away...