SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they insist on advertising that damn SBS via transfer announcements, then they should at least make the PROPER announcement of "transfer is available to the Bx41 Select Bus Service with a Metrocard only, and only if it's been less than 2 hours since you swiped into the subway, and also if you want to get back onto the subway you're going to have to use another fare, so it isn't really a transfer. But you can get it downstairs."

If they insist on advertising that damn SBS via transfer announcements, then they should at least make the PROPER announcement of "transfer is available to the Bx41 Select Bus Service with a Metrocard only, and only if it's been less than 2 hours since you swiped into the subway, and also if you want to get back onto the subway you're going to have to use another fare, so it isn't really a transfer. But you can get it downstairs."

They don't have time for all that. 

Saw a (Q) terminating at 57th and 7th early afternoon. I assume there's a reason for that as the sign I saw mentioned weekends and AM rush hours(I think i'm correct on the 2nd part).

They don't have time for all that. 

Saw a (Q) terminating at 57th and 7th early afternoon. I assume there's a reason for that as the sign I saw mentioned weekends and AM rush hours(I think i'm correct on the 2nd part).

They were doing track maintaince at Queensboro Plaza which caused (Q) trains to originate and terminate at 57th. During the afternoon hours around 1-2 p.m., I've waited for about 20 minutes for an Astoria-bound (N) at Lexington Avenue.

I assume whenever the (Q) is temporary cut from Astoria (not refering to rush hour), the (N) becomes packed. But most of the (N) trains I saw this afternoon during the issue at Queensboro Plaza was heavily crowded as in standing-room only.

Thanks Lance. I haven't seen an R46 on the (R) since last week. Yeah, the (F) has a shitload of R46s now, though I did see very fewer R160s. Makes perfect sense since Coney Island can maintain the R160s but the R46s haven't been assigned there in decades. An R46 can still show up on the (R) though on occasions.

And good to know that the (C) will return to 100% R32s and that all R160s will head back to the (J) as well as those remaining R42s still being in service. There's certainly no good logical reason to keep the R160s on the former when neither 207th Street nor Pitkin Avenue still can't do anything with them. At least 1-2 sets of R32s will stay put on the (J) for the rest of the year or so until East New York's R160s finish their SMS.

Anyway, I'll still visit the (J) on several days to RFW with those R42 cars though. Rush hours is the best bet around 6-9 AM and around 3-7 PM, Monday through Friday.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Two questions: are there still a few redbird garbage trains running? Whatwith the summer months, it's been mostly R32s that I've seen... Secondly, are there any R38s (scrapped or not) that remain on Transit property or have they all been shredded?

For the second question, the only remaining R38s that exist are 4028 and 4029. I took this picture myself just earlier this evening:

9959038644_898545c7c3_b.jpg

^^^^ Nice! +1.

Thanks man! : )

For those interested, this was at Pitkin Yard. Anyone can see the R38 pair and the D-Type on the same track by walking along Lincoln Avenue. The view is on a downhill ramp heading towards Linden Blvd. Just walk up that ramp and halfway up, you can see them.

You can also spot a pair of R30s (school car 8463 and Rail Adhesion Car 8558) and R27 8145 at the corner of Linden Blvd. and Eldert Lane. Walk up the driveway closest to the corner and look through the fence. 8145 is on track 9, 8463 on track 8, and 8558 on track 7. I really hope the R27 is preserved. It does need lots of work.

Thanks Lance. I haven't seen an R46 on the (R) since last week. Yeah, the (F) has a shitload of R46s now, though I did see very fewer R160s. Makes perfect sense since Coney Island can maintain the R160s but the R46s haven't been assigned there in decades. An R46 can still show up on the (R) though on occasions.

And good to know that the (C) will return to 100% R32s and that all R160s will head back to the (J) as well as those remaining R42s still being in service. There's certainly no good logical reason to keep the R160s on the former when neither 207th Street nor Pitkin Avenue still can't do anything with them. At least 1-2 sets of R32s will stay put on the (J) for the rest of the year or so until East New York's R160s finish their SMS.

Anyway, I'll still visit the (J) on several days to RFW with those R42 cars though. Rush hours is the best bet around 6-9 AM and around 3-7 PM, Monday through Friday.

I personally believe those R32s should be placed back on the (F) and the (C) gets the R46s from the (F) because the line was less delayed when it had 60 footers, hence more doors to ease passenger flow. Jamaica had R32s before and placed them on all of their lines. The (F) has a good out-door portion to the line as well... I don't know, thats what I believe is best.

Today after school, the N/B (C) I rode was sent express from Canal to 145th. I came to the RFW by the time it got to 34th. Perhaps a broken switch north of Canal or the train itself was obviously late. It delayed the (D) behind me at 59th.

The Central Park West Express is very decent. Trains go around 34-38+ MPH, aside from the timers going from 81st to 59th S/B and midway out of 110th and 116th N/B. Had the R32s still run on the (A) for the summer and it would be much more fun since its such an interesting and exciting line than some others in the system (like the (J) and (L)).

The (A) may have alot of timers along its express run between 168th and Euclid but its still fun regardless and will always remain my number one favorite line.

Edited by RollOverMyHead