SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People hoping to catch it at Brighton Beach were forced to wait while the terminal was being cleared. And as the (B) pulled in, the following (Q) was also pulling in! The conductor announced that a transfer to the (Q) would be available on the other platform since... the (B) was sent to the northbound platform even though the southbound track was empty!

I could see the rage face on some people as the following (Q) pulled away too. Whose job is it to ensure these mistakes don't happen?

Edited by CenSin

So, here's some random for you: heard on the scanner two seperate calls to RCC about people smoking cigarettes on board trains. One was a s/b (1) just after 9:30 am, one was a n/b (F) a little before 6 pm. Is this more common than I'd think or was someone touring the system seeing if they could smoke a whole pack today. Geez.

Whoever was the conductor on the (Q) that left Sheepshead Bay 5 minutes ago... What A Prick! Couldn't wait 10 seconds (literally) for the (B)

Earlier at Times Square I was on a (3) while a (1) was pulling into the station. 1 second after the doors opened on the (1) the doors closed on the (3), leaving everyone running for the (3) with the doors closed in their face. Everyone trying to catch that (3) was pissed, all shaking their heads. I'm surprised no one stuck their arm or leg into the door as if someone ran fast enough they could have made it. I guess some C/Rs really are a**holes.

I'd say about half of the R46 cars are SMSed. A few Jamaica sets are SMSed while most of Pitkin's are. It's going to suck when they touch 5681 and 5741 as both of them howl. They may be doing 5681 at the moment as I haven't seen it.

Hopefully they'll SMS the derailment sets and bring them back. Sucks 5636 won't whine anymore but at least it sounded good when it did.

I never see them on Q. What time? I ride Q after midnight and afternoon.

Morning rush hour?

Rewriting this post (fact-checking): It depends on the train dispatchers needs to maintain train frequencies. Usually the best time to get the R68As on the N or Q is at the start of the morning or evening rush as indicated on the timetables. They are taken OOS usually at the end of the evening rush hour. The trains may not run midday however.

We also had an R68A on the N run last Saturday, but that was more of the exception to the rule.

There's a lot of spare R68(A)'s as they are using them on the A/N/Q

Yup and they are still running on the A. With the R68 on the A it runs only on the weekday evening rush. The R32 ten car set is thrown on the A at random. At this point you can even catch the R32 on the A late nights.

Edited by realizm

Have they ever thought of connecting The Staten Island Railway to Manhattan Via NJ? 

That seems like it'd be more trouble than it would be worth. 

It would be easier to tunnel under the harbor and connect it to the 4av line in brooklyn. Something similar was proposed as far back as 1939, but this was pre-unification so instead of connecting to the then-BMT 4av line they were to connect to the unbuilt IND line along fort hamilton pkway. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_expansion_of_the_New_York_City_Subway#mediaviewer/File:1939_IND_Second_System.jpg

i assume R68 are slowly being retired though?

I see R trains using thee new set now.

Woops I meant R46

And replace them with what? If the relic 32s and the decrepit 42s are still rail-worthy, then surely the 46s are sticking around for as long as possible.

As for why they aren't on the R as much, well that's because they're primarily on the F due to the split-R situation.

And replace them with what? If the relic 32s and the decrepit 42s are still rail-worthy, then surely the 46s are sticking around for as long as possible.

As for why they aren't on the R as much, well that's because they're primarily on the F due to the split-R situation.

R46's... Rail-worthy? That's a bit of a stretch... If anything they're still around out of necessity and nothing else. Those 32s, 42s and 46s I hate with a passion. You can add the 68s to the list too... The 68s are dark and depressing, and what's worse is that they're newer than the other cars mentioned.

Have they ever thought of connecting The Staten Island Railway to Manhattan Via NJ? 

In a way yes, Dual Contract engineers thought of building tunnels under the East River directly to Lower Manhattan from St George with a stop on Ellis Island. As an alternative to the Brooklyn option (Via 4th Avenue). The layout of Whitehall Street - the station was built to accommodate an additional tunnel along with the Montague St tunnel to facilitate a Manhattan Staten Island connection.

R46's... Rail-worthy? That's a bit of a stretch... If anything they're still around out of necessity and nothing else. Those 32s, 42s and 46s I hate with a passion. You can add the 68s to the list too... The 68s are dark and depressing, and what's worse is that they're newer than the other cars mentioned.

If you care so much about lighting, well...then that's something...lower your expectations while you're at it...

Once the 142s, 143s and 160s are 30 years old, I'm going to laugh so hard when you start calling those three aforementioned cars "old" and "depressing"...  :rolleyes:

Well it's a good thing you're not in charge of car equipment. The 46s are doing quite well for cars that are approaching 40 years in service. There are no inherent structural issues, they aren't rusting and on average, they can go over 90 thousand miles without breaking down. That's pretty damn rail-worthy if you ask me. And the 68s (both types) are doing even better, despite their "dark and depressing" nature.

I actually find all the aforementioned car classes very pleasant above ground. Not so much underground, but that's pretty much expected given how you are riding the train through dark tunnels. There are bigger issues with the subway than the interiors of these cars.

And no, the R160 is no better.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan