SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

the interiors are actually different, the R42 have silver walls kinda like R68 interiors while the R40M has beige walls. Kinda like R32 interiors...

Anyone think the R38s were retired too soon? I think they could've kept them running with R32s.

The R38s had rust problems.. its best that they retired when they did.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope the MTA runs the R179 on the Rockaway's trip when they are brand new.I would pay money for that!

You mean like a TM trip? I doubt that would happen, it used to be the MOD and ERA who would run fan trips with active revenue cars (I.e, R46 to fresh pond road in the 70's and IRT cars on the B div) the TM only uses cars from the museum fleet for trips.

Belive me I would love to see a fan trip of 142As to the Rockaways or a 62A trip to Coney Island, but I highly doubt the TM would have such a trip as they cater more to casuals than railfans.

When the 160s successfully pass their 30-day test and were bond suitable for service, It was easier to just scrap both the 38s and the modified 40s than it was to fix them, since they are such a small fleet. Then the demise of most 32s, 42s and all mainline 44s came along. I'm not sure if the modified 40s had any rust/rot issues that led to their demise. Unless anybody else here can provide more info, the 40 mods seem pretty fine mechanically and structurally compared to the 32s from what I can tell.

Edited by RollOver

What does it feel like to get tripped?

Same feeling you get when you're driving/on a train and then suddenly a big sound, and squealing + hard braking pretty much making you lean front with all that force....

It happened on the TOMC this year so I know... kind of.

Same feeling you get when you're driving/on a train and then suddenly a big sound, and squealing + hard braking pretty much making you lean front with all that force....

It happened on the TOMC this year so I know... kind of.

For me I hear the "big sound" and I don't realize what happened until the train is grinding to a halt. I always get that adrenaline rush no matter what the incident is, especially after the (F) derailment I feel it. 

To add to that, if you don't hear the compressor starting about 10 seconds after the BIE happens, then something is definitely wrong. 

A little off topic to the quoted post, but when the (F) I was on derailed, it did stop pretty hard compared to the (E) I was on about a month later that went BIE before Grand Avenue. The (F) was going about 45-50 MPH while the (E) was going about 25. They both had the same stopping time (about 12 seconds). Shows how much the brakes on the R160 suck...

Anyways, I thought I was seeing things earlier when I pull into Church Avenue on an R46 (F) going uptown and there's an R142 from the (2) on the express track. The LCD sign closest to the back had a rollsign sticker pasted over it with the (1) route (Just like an R62A). I didn't see any cameras or movie prop around.

The day before I was on an R46 (R) going uptown at 57-7 when I see an R188 on the express track. It was the newest conversion set, 7251-7903-7260.

Edited by 4P3607

Forgot to post this...

Today while RFWing on the (C) train heading uptown, there was some crazy guy who boarded at Fulton (I think). He was going apeshit and panicing that he was going to be late for the Port Authority Bus. He was fussing like no tomorrow and saying something like C'MON I'M GOING TO BE FKING LATE, THIS TRAIN NEEDS TO HURRY UP! He also claim that he had missed the (A) train, which was way ahead of me. Everyone in the car turn their heads and laughed. The dude got off at 42nd, realizing he just missed the bus as he checked his watch.

This is what happens when you don't leave early if you're that worried about getting to where you have to go on time and blaming the C/R and the T/O in the process.

Fast forward to the (J) train heading southbound, I met a former T/O who used to work in NYCT for 8 years and his grandson. Really nice two relatives.

How is this upcoming service change possible ( http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=2&date=8/11/2014&time=&method=getstatus4 ) they are re-routing (2) trains via the (4) after Chambers St, to go non-stop to Wall st, but last I heard this connection wasn't possible because there wasn't and track connections from the 7th avenue line to the Lex avenue line in Dowmtown other Tham the south ferry loops. This service change is happening late nights on the week of Aug 11th.

How is this upcoming service change possible ( http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=2&date=8/11/2014&time=&method=getstatus4 ) they are re-routing (2) trains via the (4) after Chambers St, to go non-stop to Wall st, but last I heard this connection wasn't possible because there wasn't and track connections from the 7th avenue line to the Lex avenue line in Dowmtown other Tham the south ferry loops. This service change is happening late nights on the week of Aug 11th.

They're using the South Ferry loops.

They're using the South Ferry loops.

I guess maybe, but how could the get it up to Wall St, turn around, and then go back down through Bowling Green to Brooklyn? Seems extremely time consuming and would delay the (4) in both derections. Wouldn't it be more convienent to just send the (2) via Lexington the whole way Southbound?

Edited by R42N

So the (4) got some of the (6)'s R142A's ... Why does the (4) line need more cars, especially when the (6) is losing cars

Probably RTO Division is maxing out Manhattan and Bronx service on the 4 for the Dominican Day Parade later on today. Those R142A's are loaners most likely. Also there is a 6 GO in effect, it runs express uptown on the Lex (skips 23rd, 28th, and 33rd Streets), and downtown, several local stops on Pelham Bay (Middletown Rd, Westchester Sq and Castle Hill Av). So its probably a very temporary change of car assignments.

Edited by realizm

Probably RTO Division is maxing out Manhattan and Bronx service on the 4 for the Dominican Day Parade later on today. Those R142A's are loaners most likely. Also there is a 6 GO in effect, it runs express uptown on the Lex (skips 23rd, 28th, and 33rd Streets), and downtown, several local stops on Pelham Bay (Middletown Rd, Westchester Sq and Castle Hill Av). So its probably a very temporary change of car assignments.

Those aren't the reasons because 1. The Parade is on 6th Avenue closer to the (D)(F) lines. 2. Those G.Os are minor G.Os that doesn't need different assignments. Also the Bed Bugs were spotted on the IRT too now which can be the possible reason

Those aren't the reasons because 1. The Parade is on 6th Avenue closer to the (D)(F) lines. 2. Those G.Os are minor G.Os that doesn't need different assignments. Also the Bed Bugs were spotted on the IRT too now which can be the possible reason

Ok from the Facebook chat I get it now. Cool.