SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Today there were two people doing showtime, and there was a kid who liked what he saw and talked to them. After the people who were doing showtime were done, the kid was trying to replicate what they were doing, trying to do a flip, while barely getting his feet off of the floor. A lot of people who were in the car found it cute.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few random ideas and other things:

1) The 2/5 line map situation: The MTA needs to address this issue sooner rather than later. I don't know if it's been occurring more often or if I'm just paying more attention to it, but I've noticed an increase in the times where my 5 train using 2-line cars would still have their line maps on, thus lighting up all the wrong stops and confusing the hell out of riders. You know as well I do that there is an inexpensive solution to this problem and ignoring it as the MTA has done is not that solution.

2) FINDs: What is going on with the 160s? Almost every Q train that I've been on in the past few weeks has had their FIND LCD screen off. The line map worked fine on all of those trains; the little monitor didn't. I don't know if this is isolated to just Coney Island or if it's a problem for all of the cars.

3) Announcements: As posted several weeks ago, there is/was a set of 142s with an experimental set of automated announcements (which I detest for several reasons) programmed in. The idea behind the test is to shorten the in-station next-stop announcements. Of course, there is a much simpler way of doing so while keeping the original setup intact. Instead of long-winded destination announcements like "This is an Eastchester-Dyre Av-bound 5 local train" that's in place on all Bronx local trains from Brooklyn, they could use the "This is an Eastchester-bound 5 train" one that's played on the shuttle option. If the 5 is running local in that direction, all service is likely local in that direction, making the distinction unnecessary.

4) Advertising/Use of technology: As mentioned in a previous post, the MTA must hire some very short-sighted people when it comes to utilizing technology. There is this beautiful opportunity here with all of the monitors, LED displays and other electronics that's being ignored, either for advertising purposes or just general information sharing. The IRT PA/CIS displays and sound systems could be used for advertising instead of bombarding everyone with the same "track fires caused X delays" "step away from the platform edge" PSAs every two seconds. The B-Division displays are even worse since all they (still) do is show the date and time. Then there are the on-board electronics. Even if it's just to display planned service changes, it's an added improvement on what's currently shown on the FIND screens.

Just a few things I've been mulling about. 

Question is the (M) 4 car sets when extended to Chambers Street? I would check YouTube or something like that but I don't have much time to be online with my schedule today.

weekends: always 1/2 the train if GO meaning no (L), then its full length

Also, nothing big, just today's the last day the (J) relays at Chambers St (Broad St is closed just for today)

Edited by Calvin

First off, I had no idea the (M) was on the Downtown platform on the (J) today. Almost missed the train because of this.

Second, these preformers came into my train car and as soon as they announced they were performing, the (M) played one of their automatic announcements telling costumers that it is not okay to play their music loud and must ajust their volume, but the performers started playing their music MAD LOUD before the announcement was finished. I loled in my head when this happen.

Third, it looks like the uptown (J) and (M) are using the middle track today. Are they doing repairs on the other uptown track or is it not needed today?

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Third, it looks like the uptown (J) and (M) are using the middle track today. Are they doing repairs on the other uptown track or is it not needed today?

Well, if the (M) is coming from Chambers Street, it makes the most sense to pull in on the same track as the (J). It could switch to the side track right before pulling into the station, but why should it split and then merge right after the station? The MTA saves money on switch maintenance by locking it in place when it's not needed.

Does anyone notice how on the 62As on the (7), it changes for example, Flushing Exp to main st with a diamond and going local it hits to that circle but on the (6), one for example, the (6) goes express to pelham with a diamond but local to Brooklyn Bridge, the diamond stays the same

Does anyone notice how on the 62As on the (7), it changes for example, Flushing Exp to main st with a diamond and going local it hits to that circle but on the (6), one for example, the (6) goes express to pelham with a diamond but local to Brooklyn Bridge, the diamond stays the same

That happens when it's stuck

The Local/Express lights on the R62a is controlled by a flick of a switch in the Cab, if the Brooklyn Bridge bound (6) is Express in the Bronx, the crew has to keep the Red diamond on until it reaches Brooklyn bridge-City Hall so Dispatch knows where that train originated from. Vice versa for Pelham bay trains. On a side note, I think Crews at westchester don't know how to repair those rollsign circuits.