SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could have sworn I saw 1st 3 cars of a R142a set 77xx with new 160 type Information LCDs in them at Franklin on my way home last night. I know random right haha. Anyone else have a sighting or is it just me? It would make sense to add them in all NTT cars.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by RailRunRob

I could have sworn I saw 1st 3 cars of a R142a set 77xx with new 160 type Information LCDs in them at Franklin on my way home last night. I know random right haha. Anyone else have a sighting or is it just me? It would make sense to add them in all NTT cars.

That's right, I believe it's only 2 cars though 7691 and 7692. I believe it's coupled with 7731-7735, that might be wrong. And i think they're facing thte manhattan direction, but that could change the following weekends from running the city hall loop. Or this could be an entirely different set in general?

Edited by danielhg121

That's right, I believe it's only 2 cars though 7691 and 7692. I believe it's coupled with 7731-7735, that might be wrong. And i think they're facing thte manhattan direction, but that could change the following weekends from running the city hall loop. Or this could be an entirely different set in general?

Ahh! At least I know I'm not crazy.

7691-7695 is coupled with 7771-7775 in that order.

I heard the reason why they try to keep CBTC R160s off the  (M) is that they dont want them laid up on Queens Blvd. I think this can be a problem if the  (L) needs trains and it can only use CBTC equipment. 

I can see why but maybe they do deadheads too. I saw another CBTC (M) today, so I'm thinking that ENY has too few non-CBTC R160 cars to not use the CBTC cars on other services.

Does the (5) ever actually run to Dyre Avenue on weekends? I feel like that service change has been going on forever...

They did once few months ago but the wait is 20 minutes. It's a opposite from the weekdays (very few trains). 

So why are they taking away R160s from the (J)?

They usually swap the R32s from the (C) with R160s from the (J) around this time every year.

I thought they were done with the summer swaps after they kept some R160s on the (C) through the winter, but I guess they're still a thing after all...

Does the MTA do "stepping back" at any subway terminals? The process where you have one operator waiting at the other end, so they can take the train straight out again. At the same time, the 'left behind' operator walks to the other end of the platform, to take the next train out, etc etc.

Does the MTA do "stepping back" at any subway terminals? The process where you have one operator waiting at the other end, so they can take the train straight out again. At the same time, the 'left behind' operator walks to the other end of the platform, to take the next train out, etc etc.

Yes we do, but usually during rush hour. The best example of that is at 34th St-Hudson Yards on the (7)<7>

How come the MTA can't just say "train with brakes in emergency"." Train with mechanical problems means there is something wrong with the train and I bet most of the time it's not the train.

It may not be a matter of the train with the emergency brakes activated. It could be some innocuous as the doors not properly closing or something else, like the motor completely crapping out.

Does the (5) ever actually run to Dyre Avenue on weekends? I feel like that service change has been going on forever...

It really has. The Dyre Ave reconstruction project is supposed to wrap up by the end of the summer. At least that's according to the original construction timeline. Whether they stick to that remains to be seen.