SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So yesterday morning while heading home from work, I usually catch the morning short-turn to Myrtle-Wyckoff. We get to Montrose and the C/R announces that we would go straight to Myrtle-Wyckoff.

Today, I missed my usual short turn and caught the train behind it (when I eventually catch at Myrtle-Wyckoff anyway lol). We get to Livonia and this time the C/R announces we would be going non-stop straight to Canarsie

the schedule has all 5 (A) trains from Rockaway Park going to 207th Street in the AM Rush

Not all of them do. Some start at Dyckman. Thats because they come strain from they yard and put in to service without the need for a relay

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Interesting. I have seen a southbound (A) signed up as Rockaway Park-bound, around 3:50 PM, skip 181 St, 175 St, and stop at 168 St, on like 3 separate occasions though. Maybe it's just that one train?

I took the 86th Street bound (W) in Brooklyn, and so many people were confused. It doesn't help that it runs on the (R) until 59th Street, since that gives the impression that it's heading to 86th Street - 4th Avenue.

They should change the signs and announcements to say Gravesend-86th Street instead of just 86th Street. That would help quite a bit.

OK, so back to my original question: why do they start at 168 St?

plus remember that during middays and Saturdays is when the (A) runs every 7-8 minutes in both directions (15 minutes east of Rockaway Boulevard) which means the line itself generally has 38-40 trainsets out in passenger service. But during rush hours, it has a total of 38 trainsets in the AM and 40 trainsets in the PM. In short, the extra trains that come out of the 207th Street yard and start service at either Dyckman or 168th in the PM make the (A) train's headways shorter than 7-8 minutes.

Edited by Jemorie

LMAO, its not closing tomorrow. April 28th at just after 11PM is the last train before it closes. The posters and brochures say April 29th and as I mentioned, the website says 5AM May 1st.

I stand corrected. I wasn't wearing my glasses when I first read it.

My mistake. ????

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

So what's a "Line closure shuttle bus"?

18057765_306101883156619_950486349382478

Sounds like consoling for Community Board 10.

The (R) is the sole subway option in their area.

Somebody mentioned similar wording for the (6). Some neighborhoods are only served by the (6) too.

I think the reasons are related. When the only subway in a neighborhood is shut down.

Sounds like consoling for Community Board 10.

The (R) is the sole subway option in their area.

Somebody mentioned similar wording for the (6). Some neighborhoods are only served by the (6) too.

I think the reasons are related. When the only subway in a neighborhood is shut down.

Turns out it's shuttle buses for when the (R) is suspended so contractors at Bay Ridge Avenue can get track access.

Speaking of which, the general behavior of my fellow Bay Ridge (R) riders on the shuttle bus was extremely immature and despicable: belligerent towards employees (who are looking out for your safety when they block you from boarding a crowded bus), and even cursing out employees at shuttle bus stops for the lack of train service. (It was a certain demographic too: usually white men or women)

Above 59th Street was much, much more calmer and good natured.

Rush hour on the Culver line may be interesting tomorrow, because the southbound local platforms are slated to be reopened, even though currently many of them still need significant work.