SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Are you sure? At Flatbush see I've spoken with T/O that gave had 30 minutes at least.

Its a minimum 20 minutes for Meal (lunch). In between half trips, its anything. A few minutes, a half hour, it depends on the job. Sometimes between trips you're in and out. I've done that a few times.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With CBTC/Opto could the MTA provide more frequent service with shorter trains?  For example, late nite trains run on 20 min headway, could they run 5 car trains at 10 min headway at no additional cost?  

Is it possible to run 4 car trains and have two trains platform simultaneously in a station on the same track? ( Also, with shorter trains, another train can pull into the station as one is leaving.)

Yes we do, but usually during rush hour. The best example of that is at 34th St-Hudson Yards on the (7)<7>

Ah, thanks.

Next question... maybe related, don't know. What's the bottleneck on L train tph? If the line and trains are all CBTC... something else?

Electrical capacity and the lack of tail tracks at 8th Avenue slows the turnaround process.

I'd assumed that tail tracks weren't a strict requirement for turnaround (there was a post above saying that they use Stepping Back on the 7 at Hudson Yards).

Electrical capacity I hadn't thought of though. The Canarsie line has an in-built limit for the number of trains that can be running?

Edited by paolo999

Why doesn't the (4) just skip 138th street-grand concourse on the local track? As the current setup, it just delays trains. The amount of timers on that small switchover, the (4) constantly brakes and accelerates on the express track to get through that section. The (4) could just run-thru with the (5) right behind it. It delays both trains because as a (5) pulls in, and the (4) inches by and the (5) has to hold in the station. Thus, effectively slowing down the speed of both trains.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Why doesn't the (4) just skip 138th street-grand concourse on the local track? As the current setup, it just delays trains. The amount of timers on that small switchover, the (4) constantly brakes and accelerates on the express track to get through that section. The (4) could just run-thru with the (5) right behind it. It delays both trains because as a (5) pulls in, and the (4) inches by and the (5) has to hold in the station. Thus, effectively slowing down the speed of both trains.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The (4) only skips 138th Street because it's on the express track. For what you're suggesting, the (4) can just stop at 138th instead of skipping it.

And I kinda disagree with what you're saying. As someone who uses the (4) whenever it skips 138th Street (both in the AM and PM rush), it doesn't really happen in the PM, or even the beginning of the AM rush (around 7 to 8). I'd say trains are more delayed at 138th at around 8:30ish to 9 in the morning. And even then, if (4) trains weren't on the express track, they'd still be delayed: the (4) would just be waiting at 149th Street waiting for the (5) to pass ahead of it. At that hour, (5) trains are running every 3 to 6 minutes, with (4) trains running every 4 to 6 minutes. Sure, it creates a somewhat nasty bottleneck effect, but in the end of the day it still works.

I'm all questions today... :)

Simple one... what tags to do proper train bullets in posts? And are diamonds possible?

For the bullets, just put parentheses around the number / letter, and for the express diamonds, put <> around the number / letter..

I.E. putting parentheses around a D will give you a (D). or <> around a 7 will give you a <7>.

Edited by r142a 7795

I'd assumed that tail tracks weren't a strict requirement for turnaround (there was a post above saying that they use Stepping Back on the 7 at Hudson Yards).

Electrical capacity I hadn't thought of though. The Canarsie line has an in-built limit for the number of trains that can be running?

Hudson Yards has tail tracks, so (7) trains can enter at regular speeds (unless your taking the crossover and even then its a 20mph limit)

8th Avenue has no tail tracks and has a bumper post within the station, requiring trains to progressively slow down to 10 mph then 5mph  and then come to a stop, which takes more time to do.

The (L) line electrical substations are pretty much at capacity at this point.

Ah, thanks.

Next question... maybe related, don't know. What's the bottleneck on L train tph? If the line and trains are all CBTC... something else?

Hudson Yards has tail tracks, so (7) trains can enter at regular speeds (unless your taking the crossover and even then its a 20mph limit)

8th Avenue has no tail tracks and has a bumper post within the station, requiring trains to progressively slow down to 10 mph then 5mph  and then come to a stop, which takes more time to do.

The (L) line electrical substations are pretty much at capacity at this point.

Quick question, why does the (L) 's frequency cover the entire line when the majority of ridership is west of Myrtle-Wyckoff?

What do you mean?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

For example, does the T/O take over and "drives" the train to the middle track and walk through the train to pull out onto the Manhattan bound track? Or does the computer run the train, and reverse it toward Manhattan? Also, do they have to clear the short urns before it leaves the station?

Edited by N6 Limited