SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

What do you mean? There were signs at every station on Sixth Avenue explaining the service pattern and even in the 14th Street transfer passage too.

Not at Second Ave though... (And I didn't see any on Sixth Avenue, but I probably just wasn't paying attention.)

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per the last few posts, general rule of most riders is, [Don't read the service advisory]. In their minds those white papers are there for decorations. As for the train crews, they make announcements but no one is listening b/c everyone's too wrapped up in their own world.

Last night when i rode the (J) there was only two R143's on the line with the rest being smee's

Exactly because about half of the (M) train fleet is stored at Jamaica Yard/Hillside Avenue Express tracks every night and every weekend till the AM Rush.

Only 2-3 are stored in jamaica yard, the rest are on the express tracks between 169 and parsons and fresh pond yard.

Also the reason why the cbtc sets are popping up on the (M) is because the (C) gained 2 more R160's from ENY.

Turns out it's shuttle buses for when the (R) is suspended so contractors at Bay Ridge Avenue can get track access.

Speaking of which, the general behavior of my fellow Bay Ridge (R) riders on the shuttle bus was extremely immature and despicable: belligerent towards employees (who are looking out for your safety when they block you from boarding a crowded bus), and even cursing out employees at shuttle bus stops for the lack of train service. (It was a certain demographic too: usually white men or women)

Above 59th Street was much, much more calmer and good natured.

Reminds me of the B8 this morning during the DeKalb outage.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

With the recent 207th/ENY swap I was worried 160 (J) trains were a thing of the past, while riding an 143 (J) another (J) train was going by in the opposite direction, it was a 160 (J) train!!! So glad 160s are still on the J, love me some 160 (J) trains  :D That means the line is still using four different fleets as well.

Overall its noticeable there's more 32's on the (J) and most 160s on the (C) since that swap.

As per the last few posts, general rule of most riders is, [Don't read the service advisory]. In their minds those white papers are there for decorations. As for the train crews, they make announcements but no one is listening b/c everyone's too wrapped up in their own world.

That is a real problem.  People don't pay attention to the posts and don't realize the (M) is NOT going to Queens, but 96th Street and 2nd Avenue.  

Looks the  (M) borrowed CBTC R160s from East New York Yard today.

That happens literally all the time. This would come in handy when Queens Blvd is automated in 20 years, but for now, the R160 CBTC (M) trains aren't a problem. There's only a problem when non-CBTC R160s go on the (L), because they can't.

what date in June does the Clark street tunnel 2/3 trains repairs begin?

I heard it was June 24 or 25.

Edited by agar io

That happens literally all the time. This would come in handy when Queens Blvd is automated in 20 years, but for now, the R160 CBTC (M) trains aren't a problem. There's only a problem when non-CBTC R160s go on the (L), because they can't.

I heard it was June 24 or 25.

I heard the reason why they try to keep CBTC R160s off the  (M) is that they dont want them laid up on Queens Blvd. I think this can be a problem if the  (L) needs trains and it can only use CBTC equipment. 

Those machines are modular.

Dollar feeders can be fitted on top of the old token bay.

Or they can use that same bay to make the cards dippable like the autogate.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Actually no you can't add dollar feeders, because there isn't enough room to install a depository for the bills inside the machine (and the slot you are referring to isn't wide enough for them)

Bus fareboxes don't take bills either because the vacuum the MTA uses to remove the coins, would end up tearing the bills.

I just looking at the vanshnookenraggen subway map and was thinking of the original IRT line. There were no express stops between 72nd street and Union Square?

With the original layout of the system (we not gonna get into detail about the specifics lol) after 14 St-Union Sq was Grand Central on the (S) platform. After that was 72 St-Bway since Times Sq (at that tine) wasn't a huge hustle and bustle area like it is now. Tines Sq on the Shuttle platform was a local station.

Grand Central.

With the original layout of the system (we not gonna get into detail about the specifics lol) after 14 St-Union Sq was Grand Central on the (S) platform. After that was 72 St-Bway since Times Sq (at that tine) wasn't a huge hustle and bustle area like it is now. Tines Sq on the Shuttle platform was a local station.

Ahh ok, makes sense now. I wonder why they went with the "H" system after adding lines and not a "crossover" system, where the original line stays intact, but the 7th Ave line crosses over (maybe 34th st, maybe 42nd) and becomes the Lexington Ave line.

Is there a reason as to why it became the norm for Brighton Express service to short turn at Brighton Beach when it during weekdays used to be paired with the Brighton Local to Coney Island before August 18, 1968?

4 via Mosholu.

Track layout. If the local were to end at Brighton, it and the express would have to cross over each other at some point.

My C/O said explicitly said there was a train BIE once on the stretch between 36 and Atlantic. Somebody posted the Conductor's Announcement Guidelines somewhere on here, and its just what it says to say.

I guess it's to not make people too mad about the delay, to give the notion that the train will move soon. Usually when people think of a train with BIE, they think it will take a long time to get going.