SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No (4) program to E180 st also.

Unrelated note, rode a R68A G train today. Is that rare? And also do G trains share cars with the B?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

R68As on the (G) are nowhere near rare. Since the (G) is out of Coney Island with the (B) naturally they share cars

supposedly i heard a while back that they were gonna supposedly give the r68's a makeover such as LED or LCD Destination sighs? what ever became of that?

. Wouldn't the Digital display testing happening now be connected to that possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It's really not unusual for the the (J) or (M) to use CBTC R160 sets at all.

sorry bro but ur 100 percent wrong. when I was at East New York yard few months ago supervision always tried to keep the CBTC 160s off the M line so they cant be caught up laid up in queens

Looks the  (M) borrowed CBTC R160s from East New York Yard today. I think there is a small chance an R143 can pop up on the  (M) to 96 St. 

Your right actually. I know somebody at ENY now and he said they was sending CBTC 160s if they had to out on the M today because they cant get caught in queens so it doesnt matter. 

Edited by CarInspector 848

sorry bro but ur 100 percent wrong. when I was at East New York yard few months ago supervision always tried to keep the CBTC 160s off the M line so they cant be caught up laid up in queens

Your right actually. I know somebody at ENY now and he said they was sending CBTC 160s if they had to out on the M today because they cant get caught in queens so it doesnt matter. 

I see they dont use Queens layups on the  (M) to 57 St G.O, why is that?

Exactly because about half of the (M) train fleet is stored at Jamaica Yard/Hillside Avenue Express tracks every night and every weekend till the AM Rush.

supposedly i heard a while back that they were gonna supposedly give the r68's a makeover such as LED or LCD Destination sighs? what ever became of that?

Besides the ongoing LED sign tests, that idea died when the MTA chairman at the time (Walder if I'm not mistaken) stepped down from the position.

If they were to expand the Jamaica Yard, how much more space would they need? Are train yards ever double decked? (besides say179th Street/Hillside)

The closest to being double decked we have are 239 St and ENY, and those are just yards with 2 levels to them

If they were to expand the Jamaica Yard, how much more space would they need? Are train yards ever double decked? (besides say179th Street/Hillside)

IINM, the reason the yard east of 179 and Hillside is double decked is because of provisions for the line to branch out further into Queens.

What do you mean? There were signs at every station on Sixth Avenue explaining the service pattern and even in the 14th Street transfer passage too.

They know it's the (M) what I saw was that a lot of the passenger thought it was going to "Queens". They realize their mistakes at 96 Street.