SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a Subway Proposals/Ideas thread here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/48571-department-of-subways-proposalsideas/page-448?do=findComment&comment=901709

That being said, while I agree with the idea of providing better travel options for traveling in-between the outer-boroughs (Queens-Bronx travel comes to mind), extending the (G) as such would be an engineering nightmare given the existing infrastructure.  There are no true layup tracks, and even if you branched them from the existing connecting tracks between Queens Plaza and Court Square (which is where they're laid up now), you'd still have to work around the (E)(F)(M)(R) and underpin the (7)(N)(W).  And even if you were to connect them to the Astoria line, that line is already at capacity.

Nevertheless, (G) service should be improved to reflect the surge in ridership and, yes, the (L) shutdown.  Someone mentioned either on here or on the Facebook group the possibility of restoring Queens Boulevard service once CBTC goes online.

If the turn out is south of Queens Plaza then under pinning the (7)(N)(W) shouldn't be necessary Could they just turn the (G) toward Sunnyside Yard to make quick outside maneuvers? 

As for Service on QB with CBTC, that would be great, but the terminal operations are an issue.

Today in my travels I had TWO skips, one on the (B) and one on the (L). In regards to the (B) run, it came in 59th on the express track and the (C) came on the local track at the same time, (B) train goes up the express track to 125th.... but its a slow ride, train even came to a complete stop at 103rd, when we got to 125th, seconds later that same (C) train at 59th pulls into 125th! The skip saved little to no time, might have saved some time if the train just went express on the local track.

Had skips on back to back days, yesterday My (L) went express from Lorimer to Myrtle. 

I just watched the subway challenge video. Matthew Ahn, traverses thru the subway to get all of them. I read there are different types like A, B, and C, it was all very interesting. Who's gonna do the 472-station challenge? Not being able to take express trains in their express segments is quite hard.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I'm doing it (again) on May 30th lol

12 hours in last time, the (E) train was stuck in the 53rd st Tunnel and they evacuated everyone to 5Av/53rd and diverted (E)(M) trains via 63rd... so I called it quits.

Anyone want to do it with me this year?

Probably Mr. Ahn trying to beat his own record... again.

He already did it once after setting the Guinness World Record. Rode all 469 stations and got a shorter time.

At this rate it will be at R35XXX by the end of the century. If the subway survives that long.

he said that he doesn't have time to do it again beacuse of his job... rip.

Maybe he'll do it after Cortlandt St opens again

Edited by richardye1

Today in my travels I had TWO skips, one on the (B) and one on the (L). In regards to the (B) run, it came in 59th on the express track and the (C) came on the local track at the same time, (B) train goes up the express track to 125th.... but its a slow ride, train even came to a complete stop at 103rd, when we got to 125th, seconds later that same (C) train at 59th pulls into 125th! The skip saved little to no time, might have saved some time if the train just went express on the local track.

Had skips on back to back days, yesterday My (L) went express from Lorimer to Myrtle.

What time was this? My game was at 72nd and my (B) came in on the express while a (C) train was arriving at 59th and the conductor said the next stop was 125 around 3:30. If any chance you were there at the time, did you see a bunch of kids with blue shirts. I was with them!

What time was this? My game was at 72nd and my (B) came in on the express while a (C) train was arriving at 59th and the conductor said the next stop was 125 around 3:30. If any chance you were there at the time, did you see a bunch of kids with blue shirts. I was with them!

I didn't get to 125th until around 4 so most likely I was on the same train, small world. I didn't see any kids with blue shirts. 

Edited by trainfan22

You avoid the trouble of switching over (and blocking the (C) train from leaving). This way, the (B) might've still taken about the same amount of time, but the (C) was able to stay on schedule. I'm assuming it stayed on the express and went straight to the lower level at 145th.

I will say, the subway ran great in the morning for me. I got off the X17J, went to the express platform and a couple of minutes later an R32 (C) train comes in. Runs express to 59th, and a (D) train pulls in across the platform. Both the conductor and the automated announcements said the (C) was going to leave first, for anybody who wanted to take advantage of the express run. Nice quick ride all the way to 125th. 

The side signs on the R160s can display up to 17 characters. While this may seem like a somewhat random number to choose, it's actually the number that covers the vast majority of designations.

Here are the phrases which are exactly 17 characters in length:

FULTON ST EXPRESS

CONCOURSE EXPRESS

QUEENS BL EXPRESS

CROSSTOWN EXPRESS

NASSAU ST EXPRESS

MYRTLE AV EXPRESS

SEA BEACH EXPRESS

JAMAICA SKIP STOP

Here are some others which are 16 characters in length:

ROCKAWAY EXPRESS

BRIGHTON EXPRESS

WEST END EXPRESS

HILLSIDE EXPRESS

CANARSIE EXPRESS

BROADWAY EXPRESS

FRANKLIN EXPRESS

_AV LOCAL/__ ST [example: 6AV LOCAL/63 ST]

Keep in mind that "LOCAL" has two fewer characters than "EXPRESS", and "SHUTTLE" has the same amount of characters as "EXPRESS".

A slight correction if you will: the side signs on the 160s are not limited by the number of characters, but rather the number of pixels on the signs themselves. Apparently, there are 112 pixels across on the 160s' side signs and a few of the longer readings like "BROADWAY / 4 AV EXP" and "QUEENS BLVD EXPRESS" are just a bit longer than the maximum. Robert Marrero has a more in depth analysis of this here.

A slight correction if you will: the side signs on the 160s are not limited by the number of characters, but rather the number of pixels on the signs themselves. Apparently, there are 112 pixels across on the 160s' side signs and a few of the longer readings like "BROADWAY / 4 AV EXP" and "QUEENS BLVD EXPRESS" are just a bit longer than the maximum. Robert Marrero has a more in depth analysis of this here.

That's pretty cool.  Certainly the IRT's NTTs are limited by the number of characters as each character has its own display.  While we're on the subject, it appears the R179s would have room to display some of those readings--any word on that?

he said that he doesn't have time to do it again beacuse of his job... rip.

Maybe he'll do it after Cortlandt St opens again

Aw man... but hey, at least he has his world record, which he already bested once.

Totally unrelated, but as of yesterday, the renovated culver stations already smell like pee.

Why can't we have nice things.... 

'cuz that's how *some* New Yorkers are...

Edited by agar io

Question;

What is "technically" the southern terminal of the (M) ? I know for public use we say Metropolitian is the southern and Forest is the northern, but internally, what do you think it is?

Metropolitan is the south terminal