SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great place for a horror movie set.

i agree. the (J)(Z) Chambers Street is a great place for a movie set. i also think the (A) 207 Street station is also a good place to film a horror movie. the Avenue U (N) station by me is also a great place. here are all of the stations i think would make a good horror movie set:

(B)(Q) Church Avenue, Newkirk Plaza

(D) 9 Avenue

(B)(Q)(R) Dekalb Avenue

(J) Kosciuszko Street

(N)(R) 59 Street

(N) 8 Avenue

(F)(J)(Z) Essex Street

The (2) used R62As when they first came out in the 80s, there's a photo online of it in the yard parked next to a Freshly GOH'd Redbird (5) train.

I don't believe the (2) used 62As when the 142s were having their "issues", the (4) line was using 62As borrowed from somewhere where's the (2) used R142As....

There's even a photo of the 142A (2) at Gun Hill Road!

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?83347

Edited by trainfan22

Are those (4) or (6) R142A?

TTC is right, though. The R62A (2) is rarer than an R142A (5) , or even an R62A (6) . At least those stayed on the (6) for years. The R62A has barely been on the (2) .

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/R-62_(Kawasaki)_--_R-62A_(Bombardier)

Following the initial aura of the delivery of R-62 #1304, the remaining 10 cars of the "test train" (1301-1311 less 1304) arrived at East 180th St. Shops on October 5, 1983. By November 23, all cars had satisfactorily completed preliminary testing and began a 30 day reliability demonstration. This initial period of service was designed to prove that a standard of minimum reliability (30,000 miles between failures) could be achieved and all safety standards met. In-service testing would be conducted on the #2, 4 and 7 lines with the cars running in service for 20 hours and laid up for inspection for four, over 30 continuous days. The week of November 29, 1983 the R-62 train began its 30-day test by operating on the #4 line. The next two weeks, (December 5 and December 12) it was operated on the #2 line. By fourth week, however (December 19), the train had succumbed to various problems with the door control and braking systems, and disappeared from sight.

In January, 1984 a second 30-day test was begun, again on the #2 and #4 lines, but the same problems persisted, and by the start of the David Gunn era at NYCTA on February 1, 1984 the R-62 train was laid up for modification, and becoming a source of slight embarrassment. Persistence paid off, though, and on February 22, the train began non-revenue testing on the #5 route, from Dyre Ave. to Atlantic Ave. between rush hours. The conductor opened the doors at each station on opposite side of the train away from the platform. On February 24, 1984, the R-62 train resumed revenue service testing on the #4 line 20 hours per day (midnight to 8:00 PM), and was without complaint. On March 4, the test was moved to the #2 line, and was completed with little difficulty. After some initial clearance problems in the Steinway Tunnel were experienced March 19, the last leg of the R-62's 30-day test was run on the #7-Flushing line between March 26 and March 31.

On December 16, 1984 the R-62A train completed initial testing on the B-Division and was moved to Mosholu Car Shop, where it was to enter its 30-day test period on the #4 line. On December 20, the train began carrying passengers, but almost immediately a litany of continued problems kept it from making service consistently. Namely, coupling shafts between the motors and the gear boxes on the axles seemed to be sub-par, with their failure resulting in some rupturing of the gear box housing, which in turn led to oil leakage. The Westinghouse propulsion package also seemed to be in need of more attention than should have been necessary. There were also various electrical problems of varying importance. Together the persistence of these difficulties led to the suspension of the 30-day test on January 1, 1985.

After a month of adjustments, a second 30-day test was begun on the #4 line February 8, but lasted only three days, as hints of former problems returned, and there was new trouble with the New York Air Brake "Cobra" system. The latter might be in part attributed to crew complaints about the rough stopping qualities of the cars. With time, this was overcome by increasing skills of IRT motormen. The third test began on the #4 line March 2, and was successful enough to see the R-62A's move on to the #2 March 12, where they operated until the gear box housing problems again forced the trials to be stopped on March 22, 1985, frustratingly short of acceptance. So close was the test to conclusion in fact that the TA decided to continue from the time accumulated to March 22 after some quick modification. Thus, April 14 found the R-62A's on the #7 line, where they ran until April 21 when the 30-day test was finally completed and production deliveries could begin.

Are those (4) or (6) R142A?

TTC is right, though. The R62A (2) is rarer than an R142A (5) , or even an R62A (6) . At least those stayed on the (6) for years. The R62A has barely been on the (2) .

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/R-62_(Kawasaki)_--_R-62A_(Bombardier)

U do know that R62As on the (6) are not rare anymore right there has been a set on it since last month with 370 more to be swapped from the (7) within the next year and a half. it runs everyday monday-friday from Pelham Bay Station at 4:38 pm it does one trip then goes back to westchester yard. You will be seeing R62As on the (6) running in the am and weekends as more sets get swapped back.

As to an earlier post: 4 borrowed R62As mainly from the 7 and 1 lines. 2 borrowed some R142as from the 6 and 4 lines, and this meant there was a few cases an R142A ran on the 5.

I know. That's what I meant by saying that the R62A (2) is rarer than an R62A (6) .

Now for an R62 of any kind back on the (5) ...

I rode on an R62A on the 5 like 10+ years ago. R62/a on the 2, never seen in person. So to me that would be quite a sight. 

As to an earlier post: 4 borrowed R62As mainly from the 7 and 1 lines. 2 borrowed some R142as from the 6 and 4 lines, and this meant there was a few cases an R142A ran on the 5.

I rode on an R62A on the 5 like 10+ years ago. R62/a on the 2, never seen in person. So to me that would be quite a sight.

Actually the (5) ran 142As because it was running from 149-GC on the (4) platform to Bowling Green, so it was using (4) cars and they seem to have only sent 142As out.

U do know that R62As on the (6) are not rare anymore right there has been a set on it since last month with 370 more to be swapped from the (7) within the next year and a half. it runs everyday monday-friday from Pelham Bay Station at 4:38 pm it does one trip then goes back to westchester yard. You will be seeing R62As on the (6) running in the am and weekends as more sets get swapped back.

We are well aware. However, the (6) runs around 28 trains per hour. When only one of those trains is an R62A, it is still quite rare.

We are well aware. However, the (6) runs around 28 trains per hour. When only one of those trains is an R62A, it is still quite rare.

It kinda isn't rare considering 370 more R62As are being swappped back to the (6) within the next year and a half.Now if we were in 2009 or 2010 and you saw an R62A then on the (6) then it would be rare.