BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

56 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

...you can't read can you?

LMAOO I can understand missing the first time, but the second time? Man...

Yeah all limiteds that run to the ferry on Staten Island (Staten Island ONLY) (except S89 and S93, EXCEPT the S89 and S93), were suspended yesterday and today. Apparently they are having operators run limited service where needed. I guess depending on the crowds at the ferry, dispatchers are sending out limiteds to run where needed. But don't expect a limited to just be there, because they are still technically not running.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

LMAOO I can understand missing the first time, but the second time? Man...

Yeah all limiteds that run to the ferry on Staten Island (Staten Island ONLY) (except S89 and S93, EXCEPT the S89 and S93), were suspended yesterday and today. Apparently they are having operators run limited service where needed. I guess depending on the crowds at the ferry, dispatchers are sending out limiteds to run where needed. But don't expect a limited to just be there, because they are still technically not running.

I thought I was saying it wrong or losing my mind or something LMAO.

It's worth noting that there isn't just a bus operator shortage on Staten Island, but also a management shortage right on Staten Island. Lots of people are out with COVID. Usually there are enough people around to shift buses around to try to minimize the gaps, but with so many operators out, that becomes almost impossible right now.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Every LTD service except the s93 on Staten Island is cancelled.

And S89.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Source ?......

Manhattan and Brooklyn Limited operating normal..

Something's off and your cappin..

It's on BusTime "There is no S81-Ltd, S84-Ltd, S86-Ltd, S90-Ltd, S91-Ltd, S92-Ltd, S94-Ltd, S96-Ltd, and S98-Ltd bus service."

36 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The S93 seems to be running on a reduced schedule (roughly every 30 minutes). There's also one S89 bus in each direction.

As of right now (6:23pm), only the 5:40pm trip out of Bayonne is missing. The other buses on the schedule seem to be operating.

In light of the whole electric bus movement, is there any word if the MTA is officially done with CNG bus purchases? The go all EV by 2028, but they still have a window between now and then for more CNG orders or even Hybrids for that matter besides the current HEVs being delivered.

53 minutes ago, Orion 7 said:

In light of the whole electric bus movement, is there any word if the MTA is officially done with CNG bus purchases? The go all EV by 2028, but they still have a window between now and then for more CNG orders or even Hybrids for that matter besides the current HEVs being delivered.

I would assume so, because the current CNG buses (both C40LF and XN40s/XN60s) are good until 2030 earliest. That's still 8 years to determine if they want to convert the CNG depots into electric, or temporary give the CNG depots diesel buses (like West Farms, Spring Creek, College Point), until they all are modified for electric operations. After 2028 though, all orders should be for electric buses. 

On 1/3/2022 at 7:06 AM, Transit Enthusiast said:

So now that the SIM23 and SIM24 are running MTA Buses, when does #1607-#1629 arrive for Meredith/Charleston?

On 1/3/2022 at 7:20 AM, Lil 57 said:

Probably not for a while, delivery of the new provosts have been suspended due to various issues.

Update: Delivery due starting this month. All 23 to Charleston. 

20 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Did they solve the seat issue on the new Prevosts?

In my conversations with them, they said they would work with the Prevost engineers to see how much space they could get, as they realized there was an issue. I have been getting a few new ones and they don't seem as tight as it was before, but again, the adjustment is not going to be significant, but it should mean a little more leg room.  I will say that with adequate legroom, the seats are much better. I got one Thursday afternoon going home. Didn't take a wheelchair seat and it was fine. Would've liked a little more room, but I had more room in that row than I recall previously.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

24 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

In my conversations with them, they said they would work with the Prevost engineers to see how much space they could get, as they realized there was an issue. I have been getting a few new ones and they don't seem as tight as it was before, but again, the adjustment is not going to be significant, but it should mean a little more leg room.  I will say that with adequate legroom, the seats are much better. I got one Thursday afternoon going home. Didn't take a wheelchair seat and it was fine. Would've liked a little more room, but I had more room in that row than I recall previously.

Just wondering, did they remove seats to achieve this or do the buses still have 57 seats?

11 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Just wondering, did they remove seats to achieve this or do the buses still have 57 seats?

I'll state what I said to the two (MTA) heads via e-mail. I told them we wanted the same amount of legroom we had on the old express buses (not that I expected that, but it makes sense to shoot for that, as we should have that). The response I got was they were working with their Prevost engineer on it to see what could be done. Since the buses were pulled, I have not wrote to them, as I noted some other things in my e-mail that I would consider if we were not pleased with how the situation was rectified.  I was assured that they were on top of the situation, hence the order being put on hold. I personally don't believe any seats were removed, though I did not look when I was on the bus Thursday. What I will do is ask the reporter that interviewed me (José Martinez), and see if they said anything further.

The media folks usually can get answers either by asking or knowing where to look. I just sent him a message now. I'll see what he says.

23 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Something I do recall though was B/O that I know said he counted them before they pulled the order. 57 seats then, same as the other buses. The legroom doesn't seem to be such that any seats were removed, but we'll see. Maybe I'll have an answer in a few days as to what was done.

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

In my conversations with them, they said they would work with the Prevost engineers to see how much space they could get, as they realized there was an issue.I have been getting a few new ones and they don't seem as tight as it was before, but again, the adjustment is not going to be significant, but it should mean a little more leg room.  I will say that with adequate legroom, the seats are much better. I got one Thursday afternoon going home. Didn't take a wheelchair seat and it was fine. Would've liked a little more room, but I had more room in that row than I recall previously.

The changes are only coming on the ones that haven't been delivered. The ones currently in service didn't have any adjustments to them. 

I'm convinced this whole thing is psychological. People are 5'5" complaining about the legroom like stfu. I'm 6'3" and the Prevost are crammed for me, but some rows I fit much better and others I need to sit up and pray no one reclines. The newer Prevost feel more spacious to me, I'm not sure if because of the new style of seats but they feel more roomier than the older Prevost. Obviously the MTA bus batch has the old style seats so I understand their complaints. But Staten Island it seems like it's a bit dramatic, especially anyone under 6' complaining. I wear length 36 in pants, I'm usually the tallest on line and I'm fine for the most part. 

Just funny how you said the legroom seemed a bit better and its the same bus people complaining about. Obviously some rows have better leg room but you should know this by now. 

Also, the Prevost all have 57 seats, there's stickers on the overhead racks indicating each seat number. 

I personally believe they will remove a row of seats to bring the total down to 53. Charleston is scheduled to get the option order later this month so when 1607-1629 come in, we'll really be able to evaluate any changes. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

On 1/7/2022 at 11:44 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

Did they solve the seat issue on the new Prevosts?

I think the buses that aren’t fully built yet will have less seats, similar to what Greyhound has on their Prevosts. They will take out a row of seats or something like that.

13 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The changes are only coming on the ones that haven't been delivered. The ones currently in service didn't have any adjustments to them. 

I'm convinced this whole thing is psychological. People are 5'5" complaining about the legroom like stfu. I'm 6'3" and the Prevost are crammed for me, but some rows I fit much better and others I need to sit up and pray no one reclines. The newer Prevost feel more spacious to me, I'm not sure if because of the new style of seats but they feel more roomier than the older Prevost. Obviously the MTA bus batch has the old style seats so I understand their complaints. But Staten Island it seems like it's a bit dramatic, especially anyone under 6' complaining. I wear length 36 in pants, I'm usually the tallest on line and I'm fine for the most part. 

Just funny how you said the legroom seemed a bit better and its the same bus people complaining about. Obviously some rows have better leg room but you should know this by now. 

Also, the Prevost all have 57 seats, there's stickers on the overhead racks indicating each seat number. 

I personally believe they will remove a row of seats to bring the total down to 53. Charleston is scheduled to get the option order later this month so when 1607-1629 come in, we'll really be able to evaluate any changes. 

Yeah, but I have been sitting in rows that I know have more legroom. The rows I normally take I have not tried, and I believe on the lines that I use, we have recently been getting new buses (some were pulled for one reason or another). In short, I have not been following the buses that closely, as I have been focusing on a bunch of other things that need to be fixed as well. As for the amount of seats, yeah 57 is what I have heard, and then the ones chained off. 

As for this whole debate about whether seats will be removed or not, I'll wait and see what happens. That is what I suggested. I was thanked for my suggestion and was told that fixing this problem was a top priority and I've left it up to the (MTA) to fix, with the understanding that they'll come to a reasonable resolution based on our discussions. Now if they don't that's another story.

I don't know why folks on here are having a pissing contest about the number of seats. The only reason I questioned the number was to try to determine where the lack of legroom was coming from.