BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

15 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's the direction most essential businesses are going right now...it's spreading so quickly, and testing is so difficult to get now, that things are moving towards a symptom-based model, namely "if you are asymptomatic, wear a mask and come to work anyway"

This isn't going to end well at all, The same people who were like "Trust the Science" are the one now not giving a shit.

Maybe they shouldn't have done these Vaccine Mandates to begin with. This is why I'm glad the (MTA) didn't budge. All they had to do is do rapid testing and made people wear masks. Now the hospitals and other essential businesses are calling people back after either firing them or putting them on non paid leave.

Democrats really starting to look stupid right about now.

Edited by R32 3838

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

This isn't going to end well at all, The same people who were like "Trust the Science" are the one now not giving a shit.

Maybe they shouldn't have done these Vaccine Mandates to begin with. This is why I'm glad the (MTA) didn't budge. All they had to do is do rapid testing and made people wear masks. Now the hospitals and other essential businesses are calling people back after either firing them or putting them on non paid leave.

Simply what happens when you slap mandates. Americans don't like mandates and being told what to do.  (I won't turn this into political charades) 

However, taking away a persons way of living is not the thing especially if these politicians talk about stimulating the economy.. 

... Welcome to 2022.

Took the BxM3 into the city this morning as traffic was light on the Deegan. Got off at 33rd and 5th and got a COVID test (mobile van) with no line and no wait and within 3 minutes I was off to get the LIRR at Penn.

For those who are looking for COVID tests and experiencing long waits, apparently you're much better off going into Midtown early in the morning and find a spot along 5th or Madison. I counted 3 mobile test sites within a block of GCT later in the day and there were zero lines, zero waits at those sites as well. Hell, if you're in the Bronx you can get to Midtown, do the COVID test, come back to where you were and you'll still come out ahead.

But yea, traffic's really light in Midtown, to the point where the outer boroughs are definitely busier than the actual center of the city.

Edited by paulrivera

3 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Took the BxM3 into the city this morning as traffic was light on the Deegan. Got off at 33rd and 5th and got a COVID test (mobile van) with no line and no wait and within 3 minutes I was off to get the LIRR at Penn.

For those who are looking for COVID tests and experiencing long waits, apparently you're much better off going into Midtown early in the morning and find a spot along 5th or Madison. I counted 3 mobile test sites within a block of GCT later in the day and there were zero lines, zero waits at those sites as well. Hell, if you're in the Bronx you can get to Midtown, do the COVID test, come back to where you were and you'll still come out ahead.

But yea, traffic's really light in Midtown, to the point where the outer boroughs are definitely busier than the actual center of the city.

Traffic will somewhat come back to normal sometime next week 1/10.. A lot of people have the week off.

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Simply what happens when you slap mandates. Americans don't like mandates and being told what to do.  (I won't turn this into political charades) 

However, taking away a persons way of living is not the thing especially if these politicians talk about stimulating the economy.. 

... Welcome to 2022.

That's why I predict that in the midterms, a lot of people are gonna be voting red this time around.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

funny enough, every time I’m around midtown, the Covid testing lines are as empty as the lines for the QM3. It’s ironic, cause it’s the “bustling town”, but it’s true.

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Traffic will somewhat come back to normal sometime next week 1/10.. A lot of people have the week off.

If covid rates continue to rise, I think anyone who can work remotely will, especially if they have kids who get quarantined or their classes go remote, so it might remain pretty light next week. 

17 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

Definitely. I saw this on Apple Maps this morning saying at 8:12 AM, both the Q25 and Q65 were suspended due to operator shortages. Don’t know how long that lasted though since buses were running in the afternoon at least on the Q65 that I saw.

And that’s also typical with Q65 drivers heading from Union Tpke towards Jewel Ave. Stopping at green lights with 10 seconds left and going so slow that what is typically a four minute ride takes a little more than 10 minutes. Then to sit at Jewel for 5-8 minutes with no announcement or anything.

The Q25 was still running this morning. I saw and heard the buses passing by being that I live on Kissena Blvd. I would find it hard to believe that routes like the Q25 and Q65 with service as frequent as they are completely suspended. If anything I could see the Q34 (with 3 buses per hour during rush hour south of Roosevelt Ave) being suspended completely with whatever resources being shifted to other routes that might be short. Surprised the Q34 still exist buts a topic for another discussion.

4 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I’ve said the same thing since day one. A lot of people especially the ones running stuff simply don’t understand human nature. You will never get 100% cooperation because we are people with unique life experiences and thoughts so there is always room for some type of disagreement. That’s why I personally don’t get upset or even care when I see people not following the mask rules on the trains/buses because I understand that people will still do what they want to do at the end of the day. Shoot I still see the NYPD and plenty of people who work for the MTA violating mask rules so that should be a clear indication that people are ready to move on.

Even our governor Ms Hochul knows that it’s a wrap for her which is why she is so adamant about mail in voting. 

6 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The Q25 was still running this morning. I saw and heard the buses passing by being that I live on Kissena Blvd. I would find it hard to believe that routes like the Q25 and Q65 with service as frequent as they are completely suspended. If anything I could see the Q34 (with 3 buses per hour during rush hour south of Roosevelt Ave) being suspended completely with whatever resources being shifted to other routes that might be short. Surprised the Q34 still exist buts a topic for another discussion.

I’ve said the same thing since day one. A lot of people especially the ones running stuff simply don’t understand human nature. You will never get 100% cooperation because we are people with unique life experiences and thoughts so there is always room for some type of disagreement. That’s why I personally don’t get upset or even care when I see people not following the mask rules on the trains/buses because I understand that people will still do what they want to do at the end of the day. Shoot I still see the NYPD and plenty of people who work for the MTA violating mask rules so that should be a clear indication that people are ready to move on.

Even our governor Ms Hochul knows that it’s a wrap for her which is why she is so adamant about mail in voting. 

It’s not the regular 25/65, it’s usually the limited. Queens buses that are limited only during rush have been getting slashed.

I have to say, the transit situation this week is giving me real flashbacks to summer 2020...very light traffic in the city, eerily quiet on the sidewalks, the buses that are running are flying across their routes, but half the runs are missing, MTA website has alerts saying they are running barebones service, long waits for missing subways. Not good. Not good at all. At least people are better about wearing masks again 

4 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

That's why I predict that in the midterms, a lot of people are gonna be voting red this time around.

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Pretty much.  I don't like the current Republicans, but I also don't like the current Democrats.  One thing the Dems have completely failed to grasp in the last few months is that at the end of the day, red or blue, conservative or liberal, nobody likes being endlessly micromanaged.  Not on the job, not at home, not anywhere.

That said, I don't think the GOP's constant culture-war-mongering is the answer, either.  

Edited by R10 2952

15 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I have to say, the transit situation this week is giving me real flashbacks to summer 2020...very light traffic in the city, eerily quiet on the sidewalks, the buses that are running are flying across their routes, but half the runs are missing, MTA website has alerts saying they are running barebones service, long waits for missing subways. Not good. Not good at all. At least people are better about wearing masks again 

I came into the office just now to pick up some things, and it is nuts how dead it is in Midtown. It actually feels something like the beginning of the pandemic all over again.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I came into the office just now to pick up some things, and it is nuts how dead it is in Midtown. It actually feels something like the beginning of the pandemic all over again.

The buses are more full (relatively) than they were at the very beginning of the pandemic, when I was often the only person on the whole bus. This week I'm getting on express buses with about 10-15 people total, and that is after 1 or 2 runs went missing before that bus so there was a long wait between buses

4 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The buses are more full (relatively) than they were at the very beginning of the pandemic, when I was often the only person on the whole bus. This week I'm getting on express buses with about 10-15 people total, and that is after 1 or 2 runs went missing before that bus so there was a long wait between buses

Yeah, I grabbed an express bus around 10am and even with waiting to get an espresso and pastries and the walk from the express bus, I was in my office before 11am, which is pretty good, as the walk is a good 10 minutes and the stop for coffee was almost another 10 minutes, so about a 40 minute commute tops. Seems a lot of people are shopping more than anything, which is exactly what I've been doing during the week "working from home". lol Lots of people got off at 86th St. Think we had about 20 people, which is actually almost like a normal load at that time.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Does the M86 have an swing bus at its west side terminal? Cause 4961 is parked there and I passed up a couple of buses in hopes to ride it and it never went into service...

Could be a really long layover. Some people have 1-1.5 hr+ lunch breaks and all.