BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

The dude should get arrested for unlawful assembly at the very least... NYPD could also charge him with inciting a riot (which is a more severe charge)....

He knows the reach/influence he has... I'd go as far to say that he knows how broke a lot of the kids/young adults that follow him, are...

Just Irresponsible & stupid all the way around.

Dude is lucky that some of the attendees didn't get seriously injured or worse considering that some of them were teenagers.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Regarding the videos where NYPD arrested a bunch of people and put them on a MTA bus, are MTA b/os ordered to drive them to jail/the precinct or does someone else take over, like a NYPD officer with a CDL?

From one of the videos on ABC 7, an MTA driver is behind the wheel for the Nova that was used to transport the arrested individuals. Pretty sure a few cops came aboard, but the TA driver was still behind the wheel.

I wish the B8 had short turns that start at Nostrand Ave heading towards Brownsville in the PM Rush. Not seriously suggesting this, just wish this was the case for my selfish busfan reasons :lol:

I was fanning the B44 SBS and had missed three bunch up B8s, there was one at Flatbush Ave and Foster when my 44 had gotten to Nostrand and Ave D, but I figured it was gonna be crowded so I just stayed on for one more stop to take the B103 home and called it an day.

Edited by trainfan22

Some or entirely the B6 are getting south terminal changes on their buses. Before or right now, the destination will have "Harway Avenue" after Bensonhurst. Currently, a few of them have "25 Av-Cropsey Av". 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I wish the B8 had short turns that start at Nostrand Ave heading towards Brownsville in the PM Rush. Not seriously suggesting this, just wish this was the case for my selfish busfan reasons :lol:

I was fanning the B44 SBS and had missed three bunch up B8s, there was one at Flatbush Ave and Foster when my 44 had gotten to Nostrand and Ave D, but I figured it was gonna be crowded so I just stayed on for one more stop to take the B103 home and called it an day.

There's a few of them. 4:49pm, 5:13pm, 6:04pm, 6:26pm, 6:49pm, 7:14pm, 7:42pm, 8:14pm, 8:51pm, 9:10pm

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

Some or entirely the B6 are getting south terminal changes on their buses. Before or right now, the destination will have "Harway Avenue" after Bensonhurst. Currently, a few of them have "25 Av-Cropsey Av". 

apparently, they've been updating the codes at a staggered pace. I'd like to believe by years end, all UP  units will display 25 Av-Cropsey... which is what it should've displayed from the get-go

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

There's a few of them. 4:49pm, 5:13pm, 6:04pm, 6:26pm, 6:49pm, 7:14pm, 7:42pm, 8:14pm, 8:51pm, 9:10pm

back in the day (even in the Ulmer Park B8 days) they used to have nostrand av short-signs in the am as well. iinm, all they did was extend those former Nostrand trips to VA Hospital (along with the VA trips that were already in place)

On 8/7/2023 at 7:15 PM, xD4nn said:

Not surprising to say the least. They've had a lot of problems with agencies, most infamously with SEPTA, which pulled all of their Proterras OOS due to body cracks(the frame is the entire body).

On 8/7/2023 at 11:41 PM, Lex said:

Not the best of signs, but at least it's not Chapter 7...

Chapter 7 is for individuals IIRC.

I wonder what would happen to the Q1, Q2, Q3, Q6, Q8, Q9, Q36, Q76 and Q77 (and the NICE Routes) once the current 165th Street Terminal closes next month (supposedly). When the new Terminal is being built, where would the routes be terminating once the old terminal shutters? This situation in Jamaica is confusing, honestly, and could cause a traffic nightmare.

16 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

I wonder what would happen to the Q1, Q2, Q3, Q6, Q8, Q9, Q36, Q76 and Q77 (and the NICE Routes) once the current 165th Street Terminal closes next month (supposedly). When the new Terminal is being built, where would the routes be terminating once the old terminal shutters? This situation in Jamaica is confusing, honestly, and could cause a traffic nightmare.

I guess we'll find out when it happens, I haven't heard of any plans yet.

17 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

There were plans of having the terminal be located at the parking lot at 168th, near the 103rd Precinct. Haven't heard much from an actual implementation since then.

I don't think I've even seen construction work for it yet.

10 hours ago, IAlam said:

I walk by that area all the time, I haven’t seen any construction over there for the new bus terminal. 

I wonder if they would just have buses drop off their passengers at the n6x stop on Merrick Blvd/ 89th Ave, lay over on 89th Ave between Merrick and 165th street and then have its first stop on 165th street & 88th Ave until they get the construction done. 

Wish they could keep the terminal and expand it but what’s done is done. Jamaica Colosseum Mall is a dying shopping area and when walking down 165th street recently I can tell it won’t be long before the remaining stores close up and that whole area gets put under construction. 

On 8/8/2023 at 8:24 PM, trainfan22 said:

I once did a run where I did two trips that started from Nostrand on the B8. The first bus starts at 4:49, then 5:13, 6:04, 6:26, 6:49 and every 20-30 minutes roughly until around 9:10pm. After the line becomes a 25-minute headway after 8pm they are a little more frequent because of it.

On 8/9/2023 at 12:17 AM, checkmatechamp13 said:

On 8/9/2023 at 3:03 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

...back in the day (even in the Ulmer Park B8 days) they used to have nostrand av short-signs in the am as well. iinm, all they did was extend those former Nostrand trips to VA Hospital (along with the VA trips that were already in place)

His post had me questioning some shit for a second.... Because I was like, aint them short turns been in place.....

On 8/8/2023 at 8:24 PM, trainfan22 said:

Rode the B8 last Sunday... Planned on riding the full route to Bay Ridge.... He notes that I'm the only person on the bus after a group of people got off at the last stop before it turns off Cropsey (short of 14th av).... When we arrived at VA Hospital, all of a sudden "LAST STOP, LAST STOP".... He then sped off afterwards (not sure if he DH'd to the depot or what).... At the time, I was thinking he had the wrong destination sign on the bus & it was an actual short turn... I then look on the schedule, and the trip (which left Rockaway av. at the exact corresponding posted time on the schedule) was supposed to be trip to Bay Ridge.... So IDK WTF was up last week with that....

The B8 in general though, yeah, it's been bunching like crazy lately (moreso than normal).... 18th av is almost becoming as unbearable as 8th av {B70} to ride along.... The eastern half of the route & the western half of the route used to be equally sluggish... These days, buses tend to move better on the eastern half of the route (say, east of CI av) - at least IME's....

Not sure if this amounts to being selfish per se, but I was never fond of the B8's (well, extension in general, but specifically) routing past Remsen... It's a waste of time.... Always thought buses should stay on Av. B all the way to the end, then go E. 98th > Linden > Rockaway Pkwy., to terminate alongside the laundromat... The current stop for Brookdale Hosp. at Linden/Rockaway Pkwy. would be a Brownsville bound stop instead of a Bay Ridge bound stop.... For the return trip, buses would make that right onto Church, then go [E. 98th || Hegeman]  > [Amboy || E. 98th] > Av B > en-route to regular routing.... So basically >>This<< instead of {{this}}..... Not that this is my reason for the sentiment, but while probably petty, having the B8 destination sign read BROWNSVILLE CHURCH AV might draw more people into taking the route - even though the route literally runs on Church av. 🙈💀

On 8/8/2023 at 11:20 PM, Calvin said:

On 8/9/2023 at 3:03 AM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

apparently, they've been updating the codes at a staggered pace. I'd like to believe by years end, all UP units will display 25 Av-Cropsey... which is what it should've displayed from the get-go

Just checked on bustime... So now buses don't begin & end at that stop proximate to the depot, they got buses ending at 25th/Cropsey.... I suppose this makes sense not just from a destination sign uniformity standpoint, but from the vantage point of the EB B82 as far as passenger pickup goes.... At times, you have to wedge yourself between buses parked on the curbside at the NB Cropsey/Bay 37th stop to board a B82 (or a B6 coming straight out of the yard)... Similar scenario early in the morning waiting for an EB Q24 or Q56 at the Jamaica/Georgia stop....

Or maybe they could take a page out of NJT's book & simply have their destination sign read Ulmer Park Depot.... Then again, the average rider's not going to know wtf a Ulmer Park is, so nvm... Lol....

In any event, When did they make this operational change to the B6?

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Jamaica Colosseum Mall is a dying shopping area and when walking down 165th street recently I can tell it won’t be long before the remaining stores close up and that whole area gets put under construction. 

I've been walking in, around, over, and through that part of the heart of Jamaica all these years..... and didn't know that shit had a name for it.... 40+ years, and I have literally never heard any reference to a Jamaica Colosseum Mall up until this point....

Damn.

22 hours ago, IAlam said:

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I walk by that area all the time, I haven’t seen any construction over there for the new bus terminal. 

I wonder if they would just have buses drop off their passengers at the n6x stop on Merrick Blvd/ 89th Ave, lay over on 89th Ave between Merrick and 165th street and then have its first stop on 165th street & 88th Ave until they get the construction done.

Speaking of construction, just what are they fixing/propping up on over there by Jamaica/168th? I'm surprised that the DOT hasn't temporarily discontinued that bus stop on 168th, after the turn off Jamaica av, where the MTAB routes (Q6, 8, y'all know what they are)... Shit is dangerous to be having people wedging between cement trucks & other construction vehicles idling in that immediate area.... That part of 168th is tight enough as it is, without the construction vehicles there...

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I've been walking in, around, over, and through that part of the heart of Jamaica all these years..... and didn't know that shit had a name for it.... 40+ years, and I have literally never heard any reference to a Jamaica Colosseum Mall up until this point....

Damn.

Speaking of construction, just what are they fixing/propping up on over there by Jamaica/168th? I'm surprised that the DOT hasn't temporarily discontinued that bus stop on 168th, after the turn off Jamaica av, where the MTAB routes (Q6, 8, y'all know what they are)... Shit is dangerous to be having people wedging between cement trucks & other construction vehicles idling in that immediate area.... That part of 168th is tight enough as it is, without the construction vehicles there...

I don’t blame you, I almost forgot what that strip was called myself because no one talks about that place anymore. If you are from Queens and frequent the area you might hear it get referred to as the “colosseum block”, but in general it’s not what it used to be back in the 2000s. What you might hear it also get called and I call it this is “165th street mall”. That place has been on a decline for years. Fun little fact after decades of the old Fulton Furniture store being closed on Jamaica & 168th they have finally put scaffolding around the building and they seem to be doing something with it after all these years. 

There is a parking lot on 168th and 90th Ave that is shared with the NYPD. Half of that is suppose to be converted to the new bus terminal. However I pass by there just about everyday and I see no sign of construction. I think they should have left the bus terminal alone on Merrick but I know what the relocation is all about. There is valuable land there that can be turned into residential buildings and commercial space and it’s simply just another phase of the gentrification of Jamaica. 

That stop on 168th holds up traffic all the time, I’m surprised they didn’t discontinue the stop and leave the Q17 there. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t blame you, I almost forgot what that strip was called myself because no one talks about that place anymore. If you are from Queens and frequent the area you might hear it get referred to as the “colosseum block”, but in general it’s not what it used to be back in the 2000s. What you might hear it also get called and I call it this is “165th street mall”. That place has been on a decline for years. Fun little fact after decades of the old Fulton Furniture store being closed on Jamaica & 168th they have finally put scaffolding around the building and they seem to be doing something with it after all these years. 

There is a parking lot on 168th and 90th Ave that is shared with the NYPD. Half of that is suppose to be converted to the new bus terminal. However I pass by there just about everyday and I see no sign of construction. I think they should have left the bus terminal alone on Merrick but I know what the relocation is all about. There is valuable land there that can be turned into residential buildings and commercial space and it’s simply just another phase of the gentrification of Jamaica. 

That stop on 168th holds up traffic all the time, I’m surprised they didn’t discontinue the stop and leave the Q17 there. 

Wasn't their choice, the owners aren't renewing the lease.

10 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Rode the B8 last Sunday... Planned on riding the full route to Bay Ridge.... He notes that I'm the only person on the bus after a group of people got off at the last stop before it turns off Cropsey (short of 14th av).... When we arrived at VA Hospital, all of a sudden "LAST STOP, LAST STOP".... He then sped off afterwards (not sure if he DH'd to the depot or what).... At the time, I was thinking he had the wrong destination sign on the bus & it was an actual short turn... I then look on the schedule, and the trip (which left Rockaway av. at the exact corresponding posted time on the schedule) was supposed to be trip to Bay Ridge.... So IDK WTF was up last week with that....

The B8 in general though, yeah, it's been bunching like crazy lately (moreso than normal).... 18th av is almost becoming as unbearable as 8th av {B70} to ride along.... The eastern half of the route & the western half of the route used to be equally sluggish... These days, buses tend to move better on the eastern half of the route (say, east of CI av) - at least IME's....

Not sure if this amounts to being selfish per se, but I was never fond of the B8's (well, extension in general, but specifically) routing past Remsen... It's a waste of time.... Always thought buses should stay on Av. B all the way to the end, then go E. 98th > Linden > Rockaway Pkwy., to terminate alongside the laundromat... The current stop for Brookdale Hosp. at Linden/Rockaway Pkwy. would be a Brownsville bound stop instead of a Bay Ridge bound stop.... For the return trip, buses would make that right onto Church, then go [E. 98th || Hegeman]  > [Amboy || E. 98th] > Av B > en-route to regular routing.... So basically >>This<< instead of {{this}}..... Not that this is my reason for the sentiment, but while probably petty, having the B8 destination sign read BROWNSVILLE CHURCH AV might draw more people into taking the route - even though the route literally runs on Church av. 🙈💀

Traffic has gotten considerably worse since around the end of 2021. I picked on the B35 that fall and boy, oh boy was that one hell of a mess. I haven't picked on the B8 since the winter 2022 pick but I have not felt like going back there unless it's an earlier run. Not surprising that the operator put you off at the hospital, but I've only been turned short there if I was running late and getting dangerously close to the 6 hours driving time...

Damn.

Growing up in Queens I'd always heard it referred to as the "Colosseum Block, or Coli Block"