BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

51 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Honestly the entire New Flyer fleet at CS isn’t doing to well. From a passenger POV those NG’s are much better than both the XD40’s and XD60’s. It feels like those buses are weren’t built well to begin with. The XD60’s in particular need to be removed from the Q44 ASAP otherwise they’ll be run into the ground soon.  

Those 7000s were bad from the start and the 6000s were already in ruin as soon as they replaced the Novas 6 years ago.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IAlam said:

Honestly the entire New Flyer fleet at CS isn’t doing to well. From a passenger POV those NG’s are much better than both the XD40’s and XD60’s. It feels like those buses are weren’t built well to begin with. The XD60’s in particular need to be removed from the Q44 ASAP otherwise they’ll be run into the ground soon.  

The XD40s have gotten somewhat better as I believe some of them went in for their mid-life rehab, but still a very sluggish batch of buses. As for the XD60s, the Q44 just seems to be taxing on buses in general. Before they were replaced, the Nova LFSAs were also insanely beat up.

8 hours ago, R188 7857 said:

The XD40s have gotten somewhat better as I believe some of them went in for their mid-life rehab, but still a very sluggish batch of buses. As for the XD60s, the Q44 just seems to be taxing on buses in general. Before they were replaced, the Nova LFSAs were also insanely beat up.

Those LFSAs ran way better than these 3rd gear merchants..

Bet most didn’t know this but XD60 6252 out of JFK made an appearance on the Q37 earlier this week. I think there was a gap in service. 

10 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Those 7000s were bad from the start and the 6000s were already in ruin as soon as they replaced the Novas 6 years ago.

The only depot with the best batch of blue and white XD40s is LGA depot. They were spec’d a little different which saved them. They don’t feel as slow to me and that batch also has the same seating as the C40LF’s and the 2011 LFS’s. 
The 2014-15 XD40s in general ride slow. Their acceleration is slow and the bus feels like it’s dragging and struggling to move. 

The 6000’s that CS have are definitely beat and most of those units run all day everyday on the Q44. I wonder what the mileage is like on those buses? Then you have the 4700s that seem to spend more time in the shop than on the road. 

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Bet most didn’t know this but XD60 6252 out of JFK made an appearance on the Q37 earlier this week. I think there was a gap in service. 

The only depot with the best batch of blue and white XD40s is LGA depot. They were spec’d a little different which saved them. They don’t feel as slow to me and that batch also has the same seating as the C40LF’s and the 2011 LFS’s. 
The 2014-15 XD40s in general ride slow. Their acceleration is slow and the bus feels like it’s dragging and struggling to move. 

The 6000’s that CS have are definitely beat and most of those units run all day everyday on the Q44. I wonder what the mileage is like on those buses? Then you have the 4700s that seem to spend more time in the shop than on the road. 

Most 4700s at Stengel are on the road but a few of them are shop queens.

On 10/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

Hard disagree.

The 4800s are the best blue & white XD40s we got.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:08 AM, NBTA said:

Those LFSAs ran way better than these 3rd gear merchants..

Ehhh, not so much. Those 5900s got sluggish much quicker than expected. The buses they ended up getting from elsewhere were much better, especially 5799.

On 10/19/2023 at 12:43 AM, R188 7857 said:

They haven't gotten that much better even with the rehab. The suspensions on those buses are garbage and they sway way too easily compared to the rest of the XD40s especially at speed just like the 6000 series Orion Vs they had. Stengel for a fact has the worst batch of XD40s in the system as a whole. The Brooklyn 7100s are a bit better(especially ENYs).

Edited by Cait Sith

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Drivers at MTA; just curious, are they lenient in regards to red light camera tickets? At my old job they would look at the footage and give you a 2 second courtesy if you were driving an artic or an express bus.

You get a ticket you pay for it plus got to hear from the GS 

18 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today on a B17 bus on the destination sign, it was alternating between the usual destination sign and a "October" sign with two pink ribbons on each side for breast cancer awareness.

Anybody else see this on MTA buses this month? My first time seeing it.

Saw it twice on the Q44 this weekend. 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Today on a B17 bus on the destination sign, it was alternating between the usual destination sign and a "October" sign with two pink ribbons on each side for breast cancer awareness.

Anybody else see this on MTA buses this month? My first time seeing it.

Just saw it on 8551, cool little thing they’re doing for the BCA. Shoutout to them.

So CS has been putting up paper notices about the delays due to the street closure. To what degree is this affecting service? I can imagine route like the Q32 having major delays due to this, but I can’t imagine this affecting other lines that much right?

On 10/25/2023 at 2:20 AM, Around the Horn said:

Does anyone know what the routing for this (unused?) version of the Bx23 would have been?

Picture_002-me.jpg

More than likely two scenarios. One, via 5, 3, 4, then via Provost/Peartree Avenue, then 233rd (for the 5 train transfer), then via S5th Avenue. Two, if they wanted to keep it as a loop, it’ll have to skip the east side of Co-Op north of Asch Loop, but it would be 5, 4, 3, 1, and 2 in that order, but the same after section 2 to Mount Vernon (Peartree, 233rd, S5th).

On 10/25/2023 at 2:20 AM, Around the Horn said:

Does anyone know what the routing for this (unused?) version of the Bx23 would have been?

Picture_002-me.jpg

35 minutes ago, NBTA said:

More than likely two scenarios. One, via 5, 3, 4, then via Provost/Peartree Avenue, then 233rd (for the 5 train transfer), then via S5th Avenue. Two, if they wanted to keep it as a loop, it’ll have to skip the east side of Co-Op north of Asch Loop, but it would be 5, 4, 3, 1, and 2 in that order, but the same after section 2 to Mount Vernon (Peartree, 233rd, S5th).

Proposed pre-2010 NYCT bus route between Fordham Plaza and Mt Vernon via Norwood-205 st/Muddy Lane. Believe it was intended to replace parts of the Bx31/16 and possibly the W54.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

On 10/21/2023 at 11:43 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Yes. The Bus Co depots are in the middle of receiving new buses to retire the Orions.

I’m gonna miss the Orions on those routes tbh, but it’s nice that BP, JK, & FR are receiving new buses, they needed them a lot. I’ve been seeing them more frequently on the Q6, Q8, Q40, Q60, & Q64 

So they changed the bus display on Xcelsior #7419 to match the displays given to 7433-7437. Also, its been interesting seeing more buses with the Far Rockaway depot decal as of late. One of the Orions that just left Baisley Park, 4384, has Far Rock decals on it along with some of the newly delivered Novas.