BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode the rush hour BM2 from midtown to Canarsie the other day during rush hour, took around two hours, with it taking an hour to just leave Manhattan! The FDR was crawling up until the Brooklyn Bridge. 

Also Cortelyou Rd is a killer when it comes traffic badly timed lights, etc. 

Also when did they change the routing of the BM2 to follow the BM3/4 to go via Church Ave then CI Ave? The BM1 & 2 used to take a different routing to CI Ave once it got off the Prospect Expressway.

Last point, the run before the one I rode was canceled due to the B/O shortage. I said to myself "damn, this run is gonna be crush loaded" and guess what? It wasn't, don't get me wrong the bus had decent amount of ppl on it but there was plenty of seats left once we got on the FDR. I was expecting every seat to be taken like on the SIM10 I rode a couple days prior. 

Do riders who normally ride missing runs say f*** it and take the subway home, or do they wait for the next bus?

Didn't know the M100 was being truncated during certain hours on weekdays to 215th Street. Guess it'll become permanent at some point?

Planned - Boarding Change

M100 stops on Broadway at 219th St and 220th St, and the northbound stops on 10th Ave at W 207th St, Sherman Ave and W 215th St will be closed

Weekday school days, 7 AM to 8 AM and 2:30 PM to 4 PM, until Jun 13, 2024

Northbound buses will make requested stops along Broadway from W 204th St to W 215th St, the last stop.

The first southbound stop will be 10th Ave at W 214th St.

See a map of the detour.

Note: PM detour will not operate on the following half-school days: Nov 7, Apr 12 and May 9.

What's happening?

Heavy traffic congestion during school arrival and dismissal periods

Posted: 11/29/2023 04:00 PM

7 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Truncating a route for school reasons?

yeah, the congestion over there is very bad with the school buses and the parents picking kids up at the new school that opened by the depot. 

During these hours they stop pull outs from during right (into the congestion). they have the operators making the left. 

congestion is very bad during these times. 

* I wonder how the Next Gens Manhattanville loaned to Quill got its stickers (Quill itself) but to be sent back to its original depot later in hours or a day.

Meanwhile, it's a thought if ENY actually needed the 6 Next Gens despite them being 100% New Flyer back then. 

* Also, was there a reason on how Gun Hill received XD-40s from Jamaica while the blue and white Novas were sent to Jamaica in return?

Edited by Calvin
text placement and GH getting XD-40s was heard as mileage but to double check

8 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I wonder how the Next Gens Manhattanville loaned to Quill got its stickers (Quill itself) but to be sent back to its original depot later in hours or a day. Meanwhile, it's a thought if ENY actually needed the 6 Next Gens despite them being 100% New Flyer back then. 

Bus depots slapping their decals on loaned buses is quite common.

28 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Also, was there a reason on how Gun Hill received XD-40s from Jamaica while the blue and white Novas were sent to Jamaica in return?

The official training buses (used for new operator training) were switched from NGs to XD/XN40s. Eastchester had neither and from the looks of it, they didn't want to use the 2015 XD40s. So they decided to have Gun Hill help supply Eastchester along with West Farms. Allegedly it's a temporary swap until Eastchester gets all of their XD40s. Based on the allotments, it looks like Eastchester is getting more than they need so it helps explain that Eastchester will take over training in the future. 

Edited by xD4nn

The plans for the new Jamaica depot have been outlined. https://new.mta.info/project/jamaica-bus-depot-expansion

Phase (1) for the construction of the temporary parking lot at York College (Q2-Q4 of this year)

Phase (2) for the demolition of the current parking lot and construction of the new depot (Q2 2024-Q3 2025)

Phase (3) for remediation and demolition of existing bus depot and south lot (Q3 2025-Q2 2026)

Phase (4) for the new parking lot and administrative building (Q4 2025-Q1 2027)

The whole project is expected to be fully completed by Q1 2027.

On 11/29/2023 at 3:50 PM, trainfan22 said:

Rode the rush hour BM2 from midtown to Canarsie the other day during rush hour, took around two hours, with it taking an hour to just leave Manhattan! The FDR was crawling up until the Brooklyn Bridge. 

Now you see one of the reasons why they try to stealth kill “express” routes.

On 11/29/2023 at 3:50 PM, trainfan22 said:

Also Cortelyou Rd is a killer when it comes traffic badly timed lights, etc. 

Many NYC roads are, and then they’ll blame everything else for reduced bus speeds, omitting poorly timed signals, blanket reduced speed limit/vision zero, etc.

8 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The plans for the new Jamaica depot have been outlined. https://new.mta.info/project/jamaica-bus-depot-expansion

Phase (1) for the construction of the temporary parking lot at York College (Q2-Q4 of this year)

Phase (2) for the demolition of the current parking lot and construction of the new depot (Q2 2024-Q3 2025)

Phase (3) for remediation and demolition of existing bus depot and south lot (Q3 2025-Q2 2026)

Phase (4) for the new parking lot and administrative building (Q4 2025-Q1 2027)

The whole project is expected to be fully completed by Q1 2027.

In addition, no routes will be moving anywhere 

11 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

In addition, no routes will be moving anywhere 

Yup, yup. The current depot will still be active during the time the new one is being constructed.

OPINION bit: That’s smart imo. Also, Moving routes and buses over to Stengel and QV would have been a logistical nightmare.

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Yup, yup. The current depot will still be active during the time the new one is being constructed.

OPINION bit: That’s smart imo. Also, Moving routes and buses over to Stengel and QV would have been a logistical nightmare.

Very smart at that. I can't imagine QV handling the Q3, 4, 5, 42, 77, 84 and 85. If BP and JFK could get involved, maybe it wouldn't be so bad

5 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Very smart at that. I can't imagine QV handling the Q3, 4, 5, 42, 77, 84 and 85. If BP and JFK could get involved, maybe it wouldn't be so bad

Even though this is never to happen, some Jamaica routes being out of Baisley Park isn't a very good idea. The depot itself is very small that at least 120 buses are stored maximum. 

3 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

they really have no choice but to keep JA active. even if BP or JFK weren't in Bus Co./different union locals, i can't imagine them being able to help much capacity wise. 

On 12/2/2023 at 10:56 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

they really have no choice but to keep JA active. even if BP or JFK weren't in Bus Co./different union locals, i can't imagine them being able to help much capacity wise. 

They would have big problems with seniority since ATU 1056 depots have depot seniority and you can't move from one depot to another. 

There was a pause on NovaBus deliveries for MTA Bus, last delivered unit happened a month ago. However, it has resumed yesterday as two buses, 8994 and 9004 are in house at Baisley Park Depot. Approximately, 48 Old Gens are at JFK and 2 spares at LGA. 

Edited by Calvin

43 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

If you have transee premium and look at the history it popped up on the x27 on the southern half of shore road.

The deadhead for the B64s are to use Shore Road into the Belt. BusTrek is interpreting the time and the placement of the bus as a X27 trip, when it really isn’t.