BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Don't confuse the commentaries of us on the forum with that of the general public !

I just said that because when i rode those artics...people was talking about how they like the double buses...everone knew how the back doors open no one was trying to push it open etc. Also i talked to this woman about SBS she said thats why the B44 has these doubles buses i said yeah...so maybe it wont be so bad as it seems

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually there will be little chaos..seems the people on that line know whats going on..

About the Bx41 i see there being a lot of chaos over there mainly..but i feel the B44 might run smoothly

Little chaos, please. If the riders of the B44 are as experienced as I remember them to be all hell will break lose. Second that if the B46 ever gets a so called upgrade.

Don't confuse the commentaries of us on the forum with that of the general public !

Could not be stressed enough.

I just said that because when i rode those artics...people was talking about how they like the double buses...everone knew how the back doors open no one was trying to push it open etc. Also i talked to this woman about SBS she said thats why the B44 has these doubles buses i said yeah...so maybe it wont be so bad as it seems

Speaking of which, the opportunity to farebeat has never been as easy until now.

How do student metrocards work on SBS? I just thought of it when i said to myself i wish the S79 sbs had fare machines...but what would happen with a student metrocard?

As with any other SBS fare payment you'd just insert your MetoCard and your receipt would be dispensed. Same process as with any other MetroCard.

How do student metrocards work on SBS? I just thought of it when i said to myself i wish the S79 sbs had fare machines...but what would happen with a student metrocard?

What Turbo said, except Half Fare cards are not accepted. I'm really not sure as to how half fare folks pay their fare on the SBS routes...

[Nelson]: *Points*... Haha!!

Everyone who did use one is lucky as it is. The (MTA) is the only major agency that I know of that does the free or half fare rides. Nearly all other agencies settle on a 10-15% discount, which is still a lot.

And I'm serious about the pennies. On the occasion when times were rough I remember paying my entire fare in all coins except quarters. Even today there are some times when I won't drop a single dollar bill (yes, we take them), dollar coin, half dollar, or quarter in the box out of mismanaged finances.

It's a pain, but you do what you have to.

Everyone who did use one is lucky as it is. The (MTA) is the only major agency that I know of that does the free or half fare rides. Nearly all other agencies settle on a 10-15% discount, which is still a lot.

And I'm serious about the pennies. On the occasion when times were rough I remember paying my entire fare in all coins except quarters. Even today there are some times when I won't drop a single dollar bill (yes, we take them), dollar coin, half dollar, or quarter in the box out of mismanaged finances.

We actually don't take pennies here. I have a ton of change just sitting around and what I do is take it to the supermarket and use it to buy snacks this way I use all of the pennies and everything.  I'm European in that way.  Don't like wasting anything.

We actually don't take pennies here. I have a ton of change just sitting around and what I do is take it to the supermarket and use it to buy snacks this way I use all of the pennies and everything.  I'm European in that way.  Don't like wasting anything.

Supposedly pennies aren't accepted, but I've had prior experiences on the S48 and other routes were they took they five or ten I had on me. Simply put they hate taking them because they fill they farebox and they are a pain to count. Also I surprisingly never jamed the farebox as many with the smaller coins tend to do.

And yeah, I use the pennies in commerce and other transactions as well. I try to not give them out that much, but if the total for example is $6.23 I'll give out the 23 cents in addition to the bill(s) I'll give. I'd use the coin counting machines, but they take a good percentage out that way.

Supposedly pennies aren't accepted, but I've had prior experiences on the S48 and other routes were they took they five or ten I had on me. Simply put they hate taking them because they fill they farebox and they are a pain to count. Also I surprisingly never jamed the farebox as many with the smaller coins tend to do.

And yeah, I use the pennies in commerce and other transactions as well. I try to not give them out that much, but if the total for example is $6.23 I'll give out the 23 cents in addition to the bill(s) I'll give. I'd use the coin counting machines, but they take a good percentage out that way.

Now that this is mentioned, I haven't dropped coins in NYC's buses in years, thanks to the metrocard..... With NJT's buses, I use as many coins as I have on me, since they have odd amounts & what not; what is it, 1 zone is 1.50, 2 zones is 2.35, 3 zones is 2.90, so forth & so on....

As far as store purchases, I tend to do the same thing with coins.... if something comes out to like 236.62 cents, I'll drop 5 grants & a dollar bill along with the 62 cents just to get exact dollar bill figures back; 15 bucks in this case, try to gun for a 10 & a 5.... what annoys me outside of getting a bunch of coins back in change (especially nickels), is gettin a wad of dollar bills back - like I'm goin to a strip club or somethin.... I mean money is money, but damn all those singles takin up space in the ole wallet.....

Now that this is mentioned, I haven't dropped coins in NYC's buses in years, thanks to the metrocard..... With NJT's buses, I use as many coins as I have on me, since they have odd amounts & what not; what is it, 1 zone is 1.50, 2 zones is 2.35, 3 zones is 2.90, so forth & so on....

As far as store purchases, I tend to do the same thing with coins.... if something comes out to like 236.62 cents, I'll drop 5 grants & a dollar bill along with the 62 cents just to get exact dollar bill figures back; 15 bucks in this case, try to gun for a 10 & a 5.... what annoys me outside of getting a bunch of coins back in change (especially nickels), is gettin a wad of dollar bills back - like I'm goin to a strip club or somethin.... I mean money is money, but damn all those singles takin up space in the ole wallet.....

I guess Metrocard Gold really worked out for you, and you never looked back.

Regarding the singles, I feel your pain, but at the same time don't as they're useful to me on occasions. I like them for gratuity payments and vending machines, but if I have to carry 20 singles it's a given I'll try to get rid of them or get the equivalent in larger bills or worst case go for the 20 coins.

I find it funny how back around Aug-Nov 2012 people on staten island were putting coins in the metrocard slot jamming the fareboxes...i feel like they were doing it on purpose..i remember a few Xcelsiors and Orion Vs with fareboxes broken because of that...and the B/O had to continue the route and give everyone free rides.

lol... I agree... That's why I usually use credit cards because you just swipe and go, but here there are actually some places that are cash only.  <_< You know in mmost cases you're going to have to break a $20.00 at a minimum, which means lots of bills and coins.  I hate carrying change around so I just dump it in a container and eventually it builds up and then I force myself to use it. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

lol... I agree... That's why I usually use credit cards because you just swipe and go, but here there are actually some places that are cash only. <_< You know in mmost cases you're going to have to break a $20.00 at a minimum, which means lots of bills and coins. I hate carrying change around so I just dump it in a container and eventually it builds up and then I force myself to use it. lol

About that last part...when you fill up a container of coins...you should take it to the bank....have your money saved there

About that last part...when you fill up a container of coins...you should take it to the bank....have your money saved there

The bank isn't wild about taking coins these days. If you notice when you go to an ATM, when they ask you to "deposit" your money, there is no spot for coins.  This is done on purpose.  Annoying I know but they don't want to be bothered.

I fully expect the B44 to be the most chaotic, because of that re-route the MTA has planned, along with confusion because only the LTD/SBS will be re-routed and not the local, along with packed local buses on New York Av (at least initially) as people don't realize that a bunch of service has been moved to Rogers Av.

I don't think it'll beat the chaos that ensued in Chinatown when the M15 SBS debuted :lol:

Actually there will be little chaos..seems the people on that line know whats going on..

About the Bx41 i see there being a lot of chaos over there mainly..but i feel the B44 might run smoothly

I don't think this is so at all. The re-route is going to cause a lot of confusion. If anything the Bx41 should be smoother, since at least some riders should be familiar with how SBS works from the Bx12 (compared with the average B44 who has no reason to know how SBS works, and probably won't know of the re-route). I could definitely see confusion stemming from the assimilation of the Bx55 but I still think that won't be as much as the B44.

She might have been educated, but again, I stress that the average B44 rider has no reason to know what SBS is (Maybe your average rider of Bx41 wouldn't know either, but I think it definitely makes a difference that some riders should know from the Bx12). And some people may like them, but keep in mind the average riderTM  most likely isn't terribly interested in the difference between buses; all my mother had to say for example was just that functionally, the artics on the B44 are no different than the 40-ft buses. Again, not saying there aren't riders who notice the difference and prefer one kind of bus, but it's not very hard to believe that many riders feel similarly to my mother. I remember one of the B/Os here that operate of Flatbush depots (don't remember which one) started getting lots of misdirected complaints from customers since artics started being used on the 44 around the time of the fare hike (in other words, those people believed that the artics on the 44 were the cause of/one cause of the fare hike, perhaps unnecessarily)

Little chaos, please. If the riders of the B44 are as experienced as I remember them to be all hell will break lose. Second that if the B46 ever gets a so called upgrade.

Yep.

CTA is ether 75 or 85 cents which is more than 50% off...

I guess Metrocard Gold really worked out for you, and you never looked back.

Regarding the singles, I feel your pain, but at the same time don't as they're useful to me on occasions. I like them for gratuity payments and vending machines, but if I have to carry 20 singles it's a given I'll try to get rid of them or get the equivalent in larger bills or worst case go for the 20 coins.

Actually, I was against the Metrocard when they first came out; I miss using a NYC token.... Used em until the last day that you could use a token on the buses/subway... I still have a couple of the "pentagon" tokens left......

lol... you'd be hard pressed to see me with that many singles on my person at any one time.... I hear what you're saying about vending machines, but I seldom use them.... Only time I really use vending machines is when I'm out routefanning & end up stopping at some mall that has the soda vending machines in em....

lol... I agree... That's why I usually use credit cards because you just swipe and go, but here there are actually some places that are cash only.  <_< You know in most cases you're going to have to break a $20.00 at a minimum, which means lots of bills and coins.  I hate carrying change around so I just dump it in a container and eventually it builds up and then I force myself to use it. lol

The f***load of 20's the ATM's spew out, lol... I have a gripe with that too.... I guess it makes sense though b/c once you use a grant or a benjamin in a lot of these stores, they either look at you like you're stupid or look/treat you like you're some crook.... Then again, who wants to waste time standing in line in a bank for grants & benjamins to avoid obtaining all them dam jacksons the ATM emits..... I like to have cash on me, but not too much "bills" in my wallet at one time either (which reminds me, I need a new wallet anyway).....

As far as carrying coins around.... If I don't have my bag on me, forget it.... I'm not walking down the street with my pants going cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching like I'm one of those folks from the salvation army around christmas time... lol...

The days of doing that are pretty much over, bro..... Believe me, I already tried.

The bank isn't wild about taking coins these days. If you notice when you go to an ATM, when they ask you to "deposit" your money, there is no spot for coins.  This is done on purpose.  Annoying I know but they don't want to be bothered.

I can imagine the poor bastard chucking change at an ATM..... Back when I was a teenager, I was once the poor bastard that went to a "coinstar" at pathmark, dumping pounds of pennies into that damn machine.... I felt like an absolute fool standing in a supermarket line with no food/items to be purchased, to present a receipt to the cashier in exchange for paper currency..... Never again will I do that shit.

I can certainly understand why the banks wouldn't wanna put up with checking & double-checking someone's amount/value of coins to be deposited......

I fully expect the B44 to be the most chaotic, because of that re-route the MTA has planned, along with confusion because only the LTD/SBS will be re-routed and not the local, along with packed local buses on New York Av (at least initially) as people don't realize that a bunch of service has been moved to Rogers Av.

Why di busbwoy nah stop pah di 'ospital no moh'.... limeeted ah replaace wid di long bus wid di blue flashin ting on top....

yaaaaaaaa bossman, bus tun up 'pon 'pon ruhggers now instead ah new yaak avenew.....

We both know how people in this part of Brooklyn are..... muggs around here are gonna be PISSED.

I'm lmao just thinking about how some ppl. are goin react to it