BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

There's 2 types of artics on the road (not just here, worldwide)...

Pusher-type artics

In a pusher type, the engine is in the back of the trailing unit and all the power goes to those wheels. Think of laying a string or chain straight out then pushing from the back of it. That's basically what happens, all of our artics are pusher types, and that's the main ones you'll find in the US.

Puller type artics

Puller types have the engine in the front section under the floor and the power goes directly to the center axles. Excellent in bad weather since the trailer is pretty much dead weight being dragged along. Only downside with them is that they fishtail fairly easily compared to pusher type artics. Not a lot of companies make them anymore since everyone is into low floor buses now, bee-line had artics made by M.A.N before the Neoplans came in and they were puller type artics

You make it sound like our artics would be more versatile, but apparently they aren't...

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For this little bit of snow... smh:unsure:

You never know, just a while ago before the recent storm happened, they said it would be a little bit of snow...and we got dumped with a few good inches.

What I've learned and what I think is happening (according to what one of my professors has told me recently) is that meteorologists usually go back a decade of past weather data in making the long term forecasts, say when they post the 5 day weather outlook, amazing as this sounds.

So inaccuracies in forecasting is what results. Which doesn't help the MTA in making the right call in adverse weather preparedness plans despite the up to the date info they receive from the national weather service which they depend on, in order to make correct decisions on how to prepare for snow in advance, ahead of time.

The DSNY and NYDOT has similar problems for the same reasons as we have seen this year. (Speaking of which we now have a salt shortage because of the frequency and severity of the storms this year.)

I guess this also further hampers efforts on the part of MTA Regional Bus Operations to make their network run in adverse conditions because the meteorologists are using a weather forecasting method leaving the door open for human error.

I believe that may be a factor in why sometimes the MTA experiences problems in preparing for severe weather on time on the surface transit end and rapid transit end alike, which could be why they have no choice but to in many instances overcompensate in preparations as a result.

Edited by realizm

Here's what I'm confused by... If there's a majority of Pusher-type artics here, what's the drawback?

They jackknife in bad weather since all the power is in the back section and the front 2 axles have no sort of traction.

...get a string and lay it flat on a table. Grab the back end of said string and push it forward and that basically shows what happens to a pusher type artic in bad weather

They jackknife in bad weather since all the power is in the back section and the front 2 axles have no sort of traction.

...get a string and lay it flat on a table. Grab the back end of said string and push it forward and that basically shows what happens to a pusher type artic in bad weather

Yep the back of the the artic just slams in ???? Edited by E For Erica

An issue that probably won't be an issue in the next generation of hybrid and electric artics with low-floor middle and rear axles that have a motor for each individual wheel. ZF already have a product available for a while, and I'm rather disappointed the (MTA) didn't go for those axles with a hybrid set-up for their new artic orders. I know the cost thing is there, but it also buys the luxury of not having to pull the artics when it snows.

Random Note: Was on an UP RTS today and the transmission seemed to really be downshifting early and revving the engine a bit hard.

Edited by Culver

An issue that probably won't be an issue in the next generation of hybrid and electric artics with low-floor middle and rear axles that have a motor for each individual wheel. ZF already have a product available for a while, and I'm rather disappointed the (MTA) didn't go for those axles with a hybrid set-up for their new artic orders. I know the cost thing is there, but it also buys the luxury of not having to pull the artics when it snows.

Random Note: Was on an UP RTS today and the transmission seemed to really be downshifting early and revving the engine a bit hard.

I think the (MTA) is done with the whole hybrid phase after finding out they aren't really as fuel efficient as they thought they were.

As for the second part of your question, it's one of 2 things...

If you was on one with the ZF transmission (I'm sure you know which ones they are), they naturally do that. If you was on an Allison one, then the driver was manually shifting the gears to get the most out of each gear.

So an LFSA on the M14D and a truck got into an accident. 1 dead 4 injured

By the looks of what happened at the scene, the bus must have been crossing 7th Avenue when the truck smashed into it, causing both to crash into the buliding.

5114 is one that stays in gears for long.

So an LFSA on the M14D and a truck got into an accident. 1 dead 4 injured

Are you serious? ???? Smfhhhh ????

The M14D is the first thing I see when I get off the (A)(C) or (E) when I'm omw to the doctors. It's a good thing more people were JUST injured. Smh

Edited by E For Erica

So today was the first time I rode a bus with snow chains. I caught 4821, and when we pulled off, all you felt was that vibration that your phone makes. It was also going in a rythm. Then, I caught another bus with snow chains...on the S53...man...when we got on the bridge (note this bus is packed with people standing in the rear and such, and im all the way in the back) we hit 20mph...and this Orion VII was sooo loud...people starting staring at the ground and questioning what was going on, some other pple and I mentioned the snow chains, they were like "ohh for the storm tomorrow". This was the scariest ride I had on the bus because I heard reports of chains falling off buses. So the fact that this bus was vibrating...shaking...very loud..also the bus starting getting extra hot...so i said to myself "if I smell smoke im dipping right to the front" idc if I bump into people. Going 40mph (or possibly 35 since the B/O kept looking back) with snow chains is crazy.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888