BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/servChanges_QM20.htm

QM20 will run hourly service on Presidents' Day.

The route is not the busiest QM route...though I agree that weekday-only express bus routes should have some form of service on the holiday, the choice of the QM20 sounds like a move to shut up a politician.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AWARDS NEW FLYER A CONTRACT FOR 276 40-FOOT XCELSIOR® BUSES VALUED AT $138M

http://www.newflyer.com/index/2014_02_03_new_york_award

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada – February 3, 2014: (TSX: NFI) (TSX: NFI.DB.U) New Flyer Industries Inc. (“New Flyer” or the “Company”), the leading manufacturer of heavy-duty transit buses in the United States and Canada, announced today that New York City Transit Authority (“NYCT”) has awarded New Flyer a firm contract for 276 heavy-duty 40-foot Xcelsior® clean diesel powered buses.  The contract is valued at $138 million.

NYCT and MTA Bus Company (together, “MTA”) comprise the largest transit agency in North America with over 5,700 transit buses in their fleet of which approximately 1000 or 17% are New Flyer buses.  Over the last three years, New Flyer has delivered 668 transit buses or 758 equivalent units (“EUs”) to MTA with both clean-diesel and natural gas propulsions systems in 40- and 60-foot configurations.  In 2013 alone New Flyer built 118 buses or 138 EUs for MTA. 

Paul Soubry, New Flyer’s President and Chief Executive Officer, announced, “We are very proud to have been awarded yet another opportunity to build buses for the NYCT, the largest bus operator in America.” Soubry added, “NYCT has among the harshest and most demanding operating profile of any transit agency in North America, so continued contract awards to New Flyer reaffirms our Xcelsior, offering world-class quality and industry leading product support with comprehensive warranty, service and lifetime customer care is meeting our customers needs.”

Production of the 276 Xcelsior® buses is expected to begin in the third quarter of 2014 with the delivery of four pilot buses.  All production buses are to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2015.

I'm looking forward to this. I like the Xcelsiors and can't wait to see them in other boroughs besides Brooklyn.

NYCT and MTA Bus Company (together, “MTA”) comprise the largest transit agency in North America with over 5,700 transit buses in their fleet of which approximately 1000 or 17% are New Flyer buses.  Over the last three years, New Flyer has delivered 668 transit buses or 758 equivalent units (“EUs”) to MTA with both clean-diesel and natural gas propulsions systems in 40- and 60-foot configurations.  In 2013 alone New Flyer built 118 buses or 138 EUs for MTA. 

Can't believe the (MTA) is only 17% New Flyer...

Just saying but that's kinda old news. It's part of the bigger 690 order split with them and Nova and Nova getting a bigger piece of the pie

Yeah, we've known about this for a bit...

Still beats those damn Novas.

Just reporting news that was posted on the New Flyer website, as it was only posted there Monday

I hope its all Allison B400R, im fine.

Most would agree with apperance with those buses. The Novas look like boats...look slow and heavy with the big overhang and such. Xcelsiors have that sleek design with the stylish roof HVAC which makes them look fast.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I hope its all Allison B400R, im fine.

Most would agree with apperance with those buses. The Novas look like boats...look slow and heavy with the big overhang and such. Xcelsiors have that sleek design with the stylish roof HVAC which makes them look fast.

But the Nova's have way less electrical problems, that why they have the larger portion of the order.

Hmmm...seems like some bugs NF had with the Xcelsiors at first. The Novas are cool buses too, just that ZF...8000-8014 are my fav.

None of them are my favorite. The only thing I like about them is that they ride smooth. I wonder if the Orion V's are going to be replaced with the New Flyers and the majority of the RTS will be replaced by the LFS.

Had a nice surprise with 7012 on the S61 earlier. Someone else on here told me it was a fill in from an open run, but people were talking to the op like he was the regular everyday guy driving it so IDK if Castleton is doing rush hour runs on the S61 now. Was pretty nice, haven't been on 1 of those since they were at Ulmer, had the chains on though so it was a LOUD ass ride.

Had a nice surprise with 7012 on the S61 earlier. Someone else on here told me it was a fill in from an open run, but people were talking to the op like he was the regular everyday guy driving it so IDK if Castleton is doing rush hour runs on the S61 now. Was pretty nice, haven't been on 1 of those since they were at Ulmer, had the chains on though so it was a LOUD ass ride.

School tripper. Castleton has school trippers on the S44 and S61.

Everything is all one big rotation here. I just see it as, all the depots share the routes...as if its one big system with little sheds for buses.

Today I saw

Saw Prevost on X4, X14, X19

Saw NGs on the S42, S51, S98.

Saw 3Gs on the S44, S59, S78.

Nothing is shocking to me anymore lol.

A Prevost on the X14?!?!?? Now that I've never seen... lol

Rode my original home route today (The B67). I was a lil hype. Those C40LF's beat all the buses I passed in Downtown Brooklyn when I was on it. Not by speed but I felt like I was on the best one compared to the others. I miss that route lol

By original home route was the Q53 (still is, but now it isn't at all, since they moved the Q53 from Broadway.