BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's the Q44, but that route is based out a Queens depot.

The Q50 is now based out of Eastchester in the Bronx. In hindsight it would have been better if they had labeled it the Bx50, but when the old QBx1 was split the Bx23 was to be an ECH route and the Q50 was to be (primarily) a College Point route, and eventually the plans changed to what you see today.

I don't think the (MTA) is going to bother relabeling the route again so (relatively) soon.

I thought the Q44 is mostly in Queens. I guess the Bronx section was bigger than I thought.

And obviously you can't rename the route now because SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST GETTING USED TO THE NEW LABEL that was chosen for the QBx1/Q50 and it was introduced around the 2010 budget cuts.

It's better to have the Q50 with a Queens designation. The point of splitting the QBx1 up was to stem the confusion that arose with all of the patterns around Co-op City. It's much easier to have the buses going to Queens given a separate designation from the ones that stay in the Bronx. The last thing we need are a bunch of people misreading or ignoring signs thinking the Bx50 doesn't go to Queens and Co-op City got precious service cut.

Yeah kinda botched that...I was cooking and want payingthat much attention here lol

...and how could we forget the M100

That route dosen't even enter the Bronx. I can't believe the M100 slipped off my mind lol.

It's better to have the Q50 with a Queens designation. The point of splitting the QBx1 up was to stem the confusion that arose with all of the patterns around Co-op City. It's much easier to have the buses going to Queens given a separate designation from the ones that stay in the Bronx. The last thing we need are a bunch of people misreading or ignoring signs thinking the Bx50 doesn't go to Queens and Co-op City got precious service cut.

I guess that makes sense, but can't people read the terminals of the Q50 at the bus stop to see where this route goes?

Thanks 4705, for popping up on the M100 at night, when I just got out of work and nowhere near you, obviously not during the day when I'm at school.

Sounds easy enough but that may be asking too much for some people.

And some want to bring back the QBx1 designation.
Edited by GojiMet86

Sometimes I feel like this forum is not as popular as it used to be. I wonder what happened to the days where there was always a new topic started almost everyday. The photo section would have at least two or three people posting per day and so on. Nowadays it has been boring. I don't even have to check the forums like I used to do back in 2011/2012 and pretty much the same topics are there and there is little progression. I hope that changes again. A lot of the new members and a lot of the old members just disappeared from this forum. What caused it to happen?

I've seen a rare Q25 sign I've never seen before. It said Q25 Jewel Ave via Kissena Blvd. Ive also seen a Q41 Lafayette Ave. The Q88 has a Kissena Blvd and a Main St designation sign. What is the purpose of these signs if they are rarely or never used.

Sometimes I feel like this forum is not as popular as it used to be. I wonder what happened to the days where there was always a new topic started almost everyday. The photo section would have at least two or three people posting per day and so on. Nowadays it has been boring. I don't even have to check the forums like I used to do back in 2011/2012 and pretty much the same topics are there and there is little progression. I hope that changes again. A lot of the new members and a lot of the old members just disappeared from this forum. What caused it to happen?

I've seen a rare Q25 sign I've never seen before. It said Q25 Jewel Ave via Kissena Blvd. Ive also seen a Q41 Lafayette Ave. The Q88 has a Kissena Blvd and a Main St designation sign. What is the purpose of these signs if they are rarely or never used.

Those are short turn codes.

The Q88 has a Utopia Pkwy code as well. Even though they might never be used (1 unscheduled bus around the 6:30-7:00 AM hour uses that code IIRC). If there's like massive bunching along the route, they will probably short turn buses prior to, so to get them on schedule (that is, in the case that they're really behind).

The Q41 Lafayette Street designation are from the school trippers to the school over there.

AirTrain at JFK will be out this weekend and in addition to the usual Port Authority buses we might see NYCT buses out there too, if anyone wants to check it out.

The PA and NYCT entered a contract for "AirTrain busing" a while back but there haven't been any big AirTrain outages since that I know of.

Ugh...so annoyed.

I was waiting at 42nd/8th, for the M42. As usual, it's crowded because of the express buses. One M42 (5234) comes up, has the "Next Bus Please" sign up. It pulls in, and it's basically empty. The driver did not let anyone in. The next bus pulls up a second later (3807), where it is packed to capacity. THIS bus lets the whole crowd of people waiting for the M42 in. (Another bus was also behind, who knows how many people) 3807 was so crowded, that I had to step off at every single stop to let people out (at least the fare machine was broken, it could have taken a lot longer), even though 5234 was basically empty.

Why couldn't 5234 let the people at 8th Avenue on?? Isn't that the point of relieving the crowd? To not let the crowd outside go onto a bus that is already crowded?  <_<

Also another point, there was space in the back of the bus, yet everyone had to crowd in the front. Why can't anyone ever move back to let more people on?

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

And the B24 now stops at the B60. That stop they placed is no longer used. B24's drop off at the (not used) B32/B62/Q59 stop.

Yeah, noticed it today.

Good.... They rectified a (very) hasty decision with that....

Now if there's one thing that I wish could be done as far as WBP goes, is the dropping off of pax. directly under the subway tracks (where the buses layover at, sans {most} B46's).... This isn't a problem w/ the B24 (pre-construction, of course) or the B39 at all.....

I don't understand the point of the M42 it is slow there is no point in having the bus route at all, I could walk faster than the M42

....hence, the "pokey" awards (straphangers)

Edited by B35 via Church

AirTrain at JFK will be out this weekend and in addition to the usual Port Authority buses we might see NYCT buses out there too, if anyone wants to check it out.

The PA and NYCT entered a contract for "AirTrain busing" a while back but there haven't been any big AirTrain outages since that I know of.

Inside secret: During off hours a Q10 artic *tends* to be less* crowded than the AirTrain, especially when Airtrain has those 16 minute construction/weekend headways to Jamaica/HB. The Q10 local and limited combined have better headways than the Airtrain branches on the weekends too.

*: Your results may vary.

The only thing that pisses me off is that Q113 LTD/Q114 LTD riders including me  hate the Q22 riders because  when they get off to transfer for the LTD buses and since the group of riders who  were waiting for the LTDs to come, the Q22 riders skip people who are waiting at the bus stop. So the Q22 riders end up first on the bus, while the LTD riders went last. The Q22s are always crowded, especially when there are multiple buses coming.

I don't understand the point of the M42 it is slow there is no point in having the bus route at all, I could walk faster than the M42

The distance the M42 covers is a bit of walk, isn't it? Walking from 12 Av to Times Square is almost a mile, from 12 Av to Grand Central is over a mile. It's certainly doable, but I don't think people should have to walk that long of a distance, or have to walk, get on the train and then walk some more.