BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are people literally walking over the George Washington Bridge.Β  Accidents everywhere. I don't know when the Port Authority will open but people been stuck inside now for hours.

The traffic from the George Washington bridge is backed up all the way past 125 st a bx15 artic just got into an accident with the front half in the middle of the street it’s a mess out here πŸ€¦πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made it home relatively unscaved. I got the 22:20 train out of Grand Central, and when I got to Spuyten Duyvil, I was dreading the walk, but I saw a Hudson Raillink Bus and ran back downstairs. The streets here in Riverdale are a mess and the express buses, some of them were STILL stuck in Manhattan!! On top of that, we got stuck along Henry Hudson Parkway East because a sanitation truck either broke down or was stuck. A BxM1 and a BxM2 were stuck behind it. I’m guessing they’ll have to re-route the express buses via Riverdale Avenue. No other way to get up the hill. Those buses won’t be able to serve Spuyten Duyvil which is a long walk from 239th. Horrible out too. The streets are going to turn into ice skating rinks. It is raining and once the temperature drops it will be a sheet of ice. My block hasn’t been touched and I live on a hill. Smh... I had to get off ofΒ the shuttle bus below 232nd and walk the rest of the way home along Henry Hudson Parkway.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

34 minutes ago, Melbx15 said:

The traffic from the George Washington bridge is backed up all the way past 125 st a bx15 artic just got into an accident with the front half in the middle of the street it’s a mess out here πŸ€¦πŸ½β€β™‚οΈπŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©πŸ˜©

Yes it really is. It is especially bad outside of Manhattan because nothing is shoveled. My sidewalk is usually always done but it is a little slippery there too. The doorman buildings are just getting touched now IF the staff is around, otherwise forget it.

Also folks, be VERY careful of the trees. They were snappping like toothpicks because of the snow and stress on them and people were almost seriously injured. Those trees and tree branches are huge in some cases and they snap like nothing. Tomorrow if the temperature is below freezing it is going to be nothing but black ice. Be careful...

11 hours ago, East New York said:

Huh??? Lack of an HVAC? (Heating Ventalation and Cooling) That’s illegal for one,Β and all transit buses as well asΒ any on road vehicles for that matterΒ come with an HVAC. Where on Earth would you get an idea like that?

Β 

Lmaooo you got it all WRONGGG @East New York. We all know buses need HVACs. I was talking to Caitsith, because on one of his YouTube videos, (New FlyerΒ XD40 4850 Audio Clip),Β IΒ commented on how the shifting is different on the buses 4840-4853, compared to rest of the 4800s. They all had LBSS at the time, excluding 4819, 4836, and 4865. But in regards to all of the LBSS ones, 4840-4853 sounded a little different in terms of their acceleration. The shift into 4th gear sounded different from others. I used 4884 as an example. He, Caitsith, replied saying, "It's the same shifting, only difference is the lack of HVAC", meaning the HVAC was OFF in the audio recording of 4850, not missing an HVAC. Well now that you're a part of this convo, lets here your opinion. Does 4850 and 4884 have different shifting patterns? I notice the change from 3rd to 4th gear is different. 5 years ago it was hard for me to tell which gear a bus was in, so I couldn't back up my opinions.Β 

Heres the two videos.

4850: use the acceleration at 0:13 for an example.Β 

Β 

4884: use the acceleration at 2:14 for an example.Β 

Β 

53 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Anyone who normally takes the SIM23/SIM24 tomorrow morning:

Don't.

It ain't coming. So many Academy drivers are running out of hours out there it's not even funny.

Thank heavens the (MTA) doesn't do split shifts.

Β 

Β 

Yeah, just read the post from the Academy FB:

Β 

COMMUTER INFO: Unfortunately the commute home this evening was horrific due to the winter storm that snarled many key roadways and even shut down the Port Authority. Our drivers were also trapped in this weather and many are returning to terminals well beyond their normal end time. Due to DOT rules drivers must have 8 hours of rest between shifts. Unfortunately this means that the Friday AM commute will have very limited service. Many of our operators are still out in the field and will not report back until after midnight. Although it is difficult to ascertain which routes and departures will be impacted we will make every effort to get back on schedule as soon as our drivers and the weather allow.

Finally, please keep in mind that the DOT rules are in place to protect you the customer as a safety measure. We appreciate your understanding.

Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

There's no Limited service on Staten Island execpt for the S89 and S93, do these routes make local stops when Limited service is suspended?

On the website it says that no LTD service is running. earlier this morning did it mention specifically that the S89 and S93 would continue to run?

29 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

On the website it says that no LTD service is running. earlier this morning did it mention specifically that the S89 and S93 would continue to run?

Never mind disregard... S93 is running according to bustime so the s89 most likely also will run in the evening rush

13 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They aren't running at all. I'm going to have to walk home from the station tonight because I'm sick of waiting. Supposedly the semi-express train is on-time (21:54 train out of Grand Central). By the time I get an Uber I'd be better off walking.

You should know after peak hours that the Rail link buses don’t run after 19:00 hoursΒ 

49 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

You should know after peak hours that the Rail link buses don’t run after 19:00 hoursΒ 

What are you talking about? That is an absolute lie.Β  They run until midnight.Β  You need to get your facts straight. I've been living here for over six years and have taken them at various hours. In fact it came last night at 10:30 after service had been temporarily suspended.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I feel you. I didnt even try taking a bus, all of them were extremely late and I ended up walking an hour and a half to get home. All of those bus drivers should get medals for dealing with this.

Luckily for me, I only had to walk about 15 minutes. The Hudson Raillink got me to about 231st and Henry Hudson Parkway before I got off and walked because two sanitation trucks were either stuck or broke down on the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Road.Β  There was a BxM1 and a BxM2 behind that and then us. I wasn't waiting for them to get those sanitation trucks off of that narrow service road.

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Some people have been trying to get home now for FOUR hours. I have been sitting in my office waiting for this to pass over.Β  The express buses are basically sitting ducks. There are no buses from the (1)Β train and Metro-North is delayed and there are accidents all over and the roads in my area are not plowed at all so trying to walk from the Metro-North station would likely take me at least 40 minutes.

There's also a downed tree near Ceο»Ώntral Park West and West 81st.

Some colleagues left early only to be in the midst of the nonsense. By the time I left, things were calmer. LIRR was having delays so IΒ took the QBL which it self had slight delays because of a work train lol.

I remember a similar snow storm out of an office in a car centric location,Β traffic was just snarled everywhhre but the forecast said it would rain shortly.Β  All Colleagues left early "before it got worse" and I simply waited until it started raining and had an effortless commute home.

1 minute ago, N6 Limited said:

Some colleagues left early only to be in the midst of the nonsense. By the time I left, things were calmer. LIRR was having delays so IΒ took the QBL which it self had slight delays because of a work train lolο»Ώ.

I remember a similar snow storm out of an office in a car centric location,Β traffic was just snarled everywhhre but the forecast said it would rain shortly.Β  All Colleagues left early "before it got worse" and I simply waited until it started raining and had an effortless commute home.

Yeah. Someone who lives in my area said they got the BxM1 around 06:30pm. They got off of that bus at midnight. They were up in hours to then go to work, so I got home earlier than them and left out later than them this morning.Β  Trip wasn't too bad in either, but earlier some buses were missing.

40 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah. Someone who lives in my area said they got the BxM1 around 06:30pm. They got off of that bus at midnight. They were up in hours to then go to work, so I got home earlier than them and left out later than them this morning.Β  Trip wasn't too bad in either, but earlier some buses were missing.

ItΒ shocked me when I was on the QM4 last night that no one else got off the bus with me at 57th and 3rd to walk 2Β blocks to the (R).

The B/O also didn't want to let me off, which was ridiculous since we were literally sitting in the crosswalk for 30 mins.Β 

I don't like getting crushed on the subway, but that sure beats sitting on an express bus for 4 hours or more. Seemed crazy to stay on the bus when the QBL subway lines were fine (albeit packed)

3 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

ItΒ shocked me when I was on the QM4 last night that no one else got off the bus with me at 57th and 3rd to walk 2Β blocks to the (R).

The B/O also didn't want to let me off, which was ridiculous since we were literally sitting in the crosswalk for 30 mins.Β 

I don't like getting crushed on the subway, but that sure beats sitting on an express bus for 4 hours or more. Seemed crazy to stay on the bus when the QBL subway lines were fine (albeit packed)ο»Ώ

Oh come on now... You know how many express bus riders HATE riding the subway, and I've had quite a few them tell me this very bluntly during conversations.Β  They avoid the subways like the plague.Β  Now you and I don't like them, but will take them for short distances. I grew up riding the subways, but I think I would be more receptive to them if I wasn't constantly hit up for money just about every time that I ride. That wasn't such a problem back in the day.Β  I kid you not.Β  Now, the only times of late where that hasn't happened is when a cop was in my car and that isn't too often.Β  Otherwise you get the crazies, the people selling candy, the Showtime people or someone just outright begging, sometimes in various languages. That one always gets me. I like to see how bilingual they are, so if they speak a language that I do, I'll listen and see how well they speak in both languages. lol