BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yep, you're right that's a wrap. You can also tell by the reflectiveness. Paint would be much glossier than that, more of a mirror effect. If I remember right the XD40s at Quill are wrapped like that, which I always thought was a little weird. Where were those buses going to go into SBS service? Flatbush? Or maybe it's just a wrap over a blank base.

Edited by MHV9218

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Yep, you're right that's a wrap. You can also tell by the reflectiveness. Paint would be much glossier than that, more of a mirror effect. If I remember right the XD40s at Quill are wrapped like that, which I always thought was a little weird. Where were those buses going to go into SBS service? Flatbush? Or maybe it's just a wrap over a blank base.

I thought they all had a blue paint base with a yellow paint rear and the stripes being stickers. 

24 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I thought they all had a blue paint base with a yellow paint rear and the stripes being stickers. 

32 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Hmmm Interesting........ I remember before 7650 was sent out on local service it was parked inside the body paint bay and I remember seeing the select teal blue was hanging off the side of the bus like they were starting to peel it off. Some of the sbs buses at my depot has been hit, or scuff marks and sometimes you can see like a slight black marks on the Teal blue part. The back of 7649 Yellow is two different yellow tone. The bottom of the back of 7649 yellow looks fresh and the top yellow where the destination sign is a little darker from the bottom yellow at the back of the bus. This weekend I will be working at the yard, so I'll ask the yard foreman or Superintendent  for "Maints" if these buses are wrap or painted.

Here's an old video when the SBS first started

11 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Geared towards the bus operators when you going down the road example one after another on the q46 when you pass each other at a stop what does the blowing the horn mean?

safety precaution. when you know that you are in another b/o's blind spot, honking the horn is a way of alerting him/her of your presence. there is a brief 2-5 seconds that a vehicle or bicyclist won't be seen on the left side of the bus, and if you aren't careful, you can absolutely make or cause contact. so, by overtaking another bus and honking the horn, you avoid a bus on bus incident, which is one of the deadly sins in DOB. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

5 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

safety precaution. when you know that you are in another b/o's blind spot, honking the horn is a way of alerting him/her of your presence. there is a brief 2-5 seconds that a vehicle or bicyclist won't be seen on the left side of the bus, and if you aren't careful, you can absolutely make or cause contact. so, by overtaking another bus and honking the horn, you avoid a bus on bus incident, which is one of the deadly sins in DOB. 

Also to let the people who always decide to cross in front the bus (and somehow not get hit.. not that I wish that on anyone but it's stupid), that you're coming. 

13 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The base in blue, but I believe everything below the windows is a wrap. The stripes are laid on as part of a complete wrap which includes the blue. Kind of a waste in my opinion, looks tackier, but I'm sure it's cheaper to wrap that way.

13 hours ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

Hmmm Interesting........ I remember before 7650 was sent out on local service it was parked inside the body paint bay and I remember seeing the select teal blue was hanging off the side of the bus like they were starting to peel it off. Some of the sbs buses at my depot has been hit, or scuff marks and sometimes you can see like a slight black marks on the Teal blue part. The back of 7649 Yellow is two different yellow tone. The bottom of the back of 7649 yellow looks fresh and the top yellow where the destination sign is a little darker from the bottom yellow at the back of the bus. This weekend I will be working at the yard, so I'll ask the yard foreman or Superintendent  for "Maints" if these buses are wrap or painted.

Interesting, that'd be great to hear for sure. I remember seeing the Flatbush 76xx buses on I-70 before they were delivered, and the base SBS paint did look good then.

23 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

All buses in the new scheme are wrapped local and SBS. Some buses have white paint underneath that wrap, some buses blue and some buses teal.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

All buses in the new scheme are wrapped local and SBS. Some buses have white paint underneath that wrap, some buses blue and some buses teal.

Well, no, the SBS buses are painted, with a sticker for the stripes. As in, if you look at an XD60 from the side, from the windows down you're seeing paint with a sticker. It's the local buses that are wrapped from the windows down, in most cases over paint of the same color (what we're talking about with the XD40s). 

Ok so I'm going to try to use the fundamentals from this thread, and use it to determine what the current orders have now. The main thing is that it's different to each order. But since this thread hasn't been updated, I would assume the same system is being applied to each order depending on where the buses will be used. 

For all the new scheme buses we have the answer to the following orders based on the above thread:

2015-16 MTA Bus XD60s 5364-5438

2017-18 NYCT XN40s 673-810

2017-18 NYCT XD60s 5987-6125

2018-19 NYCT XN60s 1000-1109

Now...for the orders after these, going off observations....

2018-19 NYCT XD40s 7484-7850

Base Paint: Black Around the windows and Full Blue over the sides, roof and face with a White Back. The Yellow and striping is vinyl wrap. The Select units (Flatbush) are full wrap below the window line, on the face and on the lower rear.

2018 NYCT XDE40s 9500-9509

Base Paint: Black Around the windows and Full Blue over the sides, roof and face with a White Back. The Yellow and striping is vinyl wrap.

2018 NYCT XE40s 0011-0015

Base Paint: Black Around the windows and Full Blue over the sides, roof and face with a White Back. The Yellow and striping is vinyl wrap.

2018 NYCT BE40s 0016-0020

2018-19 NYCT LFSs 8504-8754

Base Paint: White with Black Paint used around the windows, Full wrap is applied over the white base paint.

2018-19 NYCT LFSAs 5439-5602

Base Paint: SBS Light Blue Paint from the bottom to the top window line with Vinyl Yellow and medium blue stripes, White Paint on the rear, Dark Blue Paint above the window line and over the face & Black Paint around the windows. 

2018-19 NYCT XD60s 6126-6233

Base Paint: SBS Light Blue Paint from the bottom to the top window line with Vinyl Yellow and medium blue stripes, SBS Light Blue Paint on the rear, Dark Blue Paint above the window line and over the face & Black Paint around the windows. 

2019-20 MTA Bus XD60s 6234-6286

Base Paint: SBS Light Blue Paint from the bottom to the top window line with Vinyl Yellow and medium blue stripes, SBS Light Blue Paint on the rear, Dark Blue Paint above the window line and over the face & Black Paint around the windows. The SBS scheme is uncompleted and the Cuomo Scheme is this wrapped over all of this.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I think actually the base order XD40s are a dark blue paint base, but below the windows everything is a wrap: stripes and dark blue. That's what I've been trying to say. The same is prolly true for the XE40s, etc. For the Flatbush SBS XD40s, it's actually a light blue base paint below the windows, not a wrap – just like on the SBS XD60s. This is going off of photos of the buses en route to JFK.

5 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I think actually the base order XD40s are a dark blue paint base, but below the windows everything is a wrap: stripes and dark blue. That's what I've been trying to say. The same is prolly true for the XE40s, etc. For the Flatbush SBS XD40s, it's actually a light blue base paint below the windows, not a wrap – just like on the SBS XD60s. This is going off of photos of the buses en route to JFK.

That's overkill if they have a blue paint base and a blue wrap.

Question, are drivers still required to make stop announcements if the bus has working screens? I personally hate it, because most drivers use the foot speaker and it mumbles 100% of the time and interferes with the automated ones. However this driver used the phone and it was much clearer pronunciation, but why waste ya breath if the screens are working? Almost like excess work, why bother? 

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Question, are drivers still required to make stop announcements if the bus has working screens? I personally hate it, because most drivers use the foot speaker and it mumbles 100% of the time and interferes with the automated ones. However this driver used the phone and it was much clearer pronunciation, but why waste ya breath if the screens are working? Almost like excess work, why bother? 

Unrelated but wow that bus sounds  g o o d! The 2019 I got on the M100 over the summer sound like crap compared to this one.

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yeah that's what I'm saying, they literally wrapped the same color blue over the blue base lmao. And naturally it looks less glossy than the paint and doesn't hold up as well either.

6 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

We still have to correct the system if it spits out wrong information. 

2 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

We still have to correct the system if it spits out wrong information. 

Yeah that makes sense, because some of these stops and transfers (especially along the S53) are horrendous. 

I just found it funny because I rarely saw B/Os do every stop announcements, seems like it became more common when the screens started, so it had me asking, are they trying to prove they know the stops? Are people against the screens? Does it go against what the union supports? Those were just things that went through my head hearing the redundancy when the screens are 95% accurate on this route. 

5 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Unrelated but wow that bus sounds  g o o d! The 2019 I got on the M100 over the summer sound like crap compared to this one.

Come to S.I if you really wanna haul! I stopped riding buses around the city because they're just so slow I can hardly ever find a driver that hauls. All the congestion and low speed limits make riding the bus not fun anymore. Luckily I still can have the fun out here on Staten Island. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Another WF bus route has turned articulated: You can add the Bx27 (Southern Blvd-WF Rd to Classon’s Point) to this list that already has the Bx6, Bx6SBS, Bx15, Bx19, Bx35 & Bx36 using articulated buses

Edited by FLX9304

48 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Another WF bus route has turned articulated: You can add the Bx27 (Southern Blvd-WF Rd to Classon’s Point) to this list that already has the Bx6, Bx6SBS, Bx15, Bx19, Bx35 & Bx36 using articulated buses

Isn't that gonna put a strain on them? Wouldn't it be easier to use regular buses until the next capital plan is approved?