BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Operator on 6709 on the M2 at about 3pm at 72nd wins the a**hole of the year award, damn tempted to pull a VG8 and call him in. Pulls out to let passengers off, then pulls up to literally an inch in front of the stop, makes you walk up, stops and waits, then says that he's past the bus stop and won't let you on. The hell is this guy trying to prove? All while I'm coughing up smoke from the f**king (5) train fire a few blocks a way.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had some drivers that forces me to walk to where the stand is instead of letting us on if he's behind another bus at the stop and then at the junction, refuses to let us off till we are right next to the subway entrance. Other drivers woul allow everyone off if we are close enough because of all the traffic from nostrand and it eliminates the main worry about farebeaters getting on from the back doors.

Saw two d60hf on fb. 1026, nis running north, dunno if it went in service or where it was headed. I didn't get the number of the other.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Operator on 6709 on the M2 at about 3pm at 72nd wins the a**hole of the year award, damn tempted to pull a VG8 and call him in. Pulls out to let passengers off, then pulls up to literally an inch in front of the stop, makes you walk up, stops and waits, then says that he's past the bus stop and won't let you on. The hell is this guy trying to prove? All while I'm coughing up smoke from the f**king (5) train fire a few blocks a way.

lol... Oh the joys of the Mannyville drivers... I don't envy you... Luckily for me I haven't used the M2 in a while.

i would call the operator in  on the basis of the smoke.

I see. I was referring to the Dyckman reroute, not the extension to 1 Av.

The Dyckman reroute is supposed to happen sometime in 2014... That was never slated to happen this calendar year....

I can take a guess & say most fanners are scared of those routes because of the areas they go through .

I wouldn't say most fanners, but I do believe it to be the case for some though..... Remember, all of us transit enthusiasts on here are not adults... Then again, I'd go as far as to say there are adults that are afraid to go into certain areas in this city.... Their prerogative...

*shrugs*

Spotted like 3 artics on the Q35 in a 20+min time frame. 1013, 1015?, and 1026 (orange led). I was wondering if the june one was it, but wow, didn't really expect 3 all at once (each spaced apart with a 40' bus). Is things that bad over at FR?

I thought seeing artics on the Q10 was odd enough.... I'ma have to get around to scoping artics on the Q35 for myself....

Yesterday, I finally rode the B32 from LIC to Willamsburg (got 9431). The driver was hauling ass to Willamsburg. We got there in like 20 minutes. Then, from the corner of my eye, I see 6097 on the B60. I Thought that I could make the transfer in time, but before the B32 pulled into the terminal, the bus pulled off. So, I literally ran to the next bus stop so I could catch the bus. Luckly, I caught it and I rode it home.

Prepare for a lot of that on these dinky routes the MTA are beginning to create....

It (the hauling ass part) is indicative of something quite obvious.....

Q35 from this year, starting in January, has been even crazier: new c40lf, o5cng, ng, artic, ex-bl 05 and that's on top of the ex nyct rts and standard og hybrids.

So they're throwing the gauntlet at the Q35, I see.....

lol... The S66 is now a route that people only take if they REALLY need it, otherwise they don't bother.

lmao.... I have to agree with this....

Which bus route is longer, the M101 or the M5 ?

According to google maps:

(both northbound routings)

M5: 11.90 mi

M101: 10.69 mi

lmao.... I have to agree with this....

I'm sure you've seen what I see... An S66 comes... Tons of people back up even though it goes to where they're going but because it literally takes the long way there, they'd rather just wait for the next bus.  It's almost become like that bus that serves the Victory Blvd section from say Jewel to Clove (in other words, people will only get on if they're going from that point to that point and not the ferry) and then the folks in Grymes Hill to the ferry.  

lol... Oh the joys of the Mannyville drivers... I don't envy you... Luckily for me I haven't used the M2 in a while.

Nearly lost it with this guy, I had to wait 50 minutes for the next M2...

I'm starting to notice that a lot of Orion V's are popping up on KB routes lately. Sure they were here, but its pretty hard to see a Next Gen on the KB routes with the exception of the M100.

Agree on this. Weird as hell seeing those acid battery NGs as well, even thought they've been there for a while.

Nearly lost it with this guy, I had to wait 50 minutes for the next M2...

Wow... That's the other thing with that bus... Service has really gone to crap since they cut it back to run every 15 minutes.  I waited over 30 minutes for an M5 yesterday.  One came packed and the other one came practically empty and seemed to be doing his best to dodge picking up anyone...  Was really annoying to watch.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Can GA do limited runs on the B38 ? And why isn't the B47 Limited ? Isn't is just as long as the B46 ? Why did the B47 go to GA depot anyway ?

the  :bus_bullet_b38_ltd: catalpa branch ends near fresh pond depot while  :bus_bullet_b38:  metro ave branch ends near grand ave so theres the logic and the :bus_bullet_b47:  went to ga to relieve over crowding at flatbush and your ltd question idk i don't think there is demand for it.

Edited by BreeddekalbL

the :bus_bullet_b38_ltd: catalpa branch ends near fresh pond depot while :bus_bullet_b38: metro ave branch ends near grand ave so theres the logic and the :bus_bullet_b47: went to ga to relieve over crowding at flatbush and your ltd question idk i don't think there is demand for it.

Oh ok. But is the fresh pond limited half gonna run artics in the future like the B44 ?

And why isn't the B47 Limited ? Isn't is just as long as the B46 ? Why did the B47 go to GA depot anyway ?

1) Doesn't have the ridership or the frequency for LTD service... I don't know them all, but there are actually guidelines that a route have to have in order for consideration for LTD service....

2) They're both in the 7-8 mile range from end to end, yes....

3) To give the new depot at the time (Grand Av) some routes to have them run out of... Lol....

I'm sure you've seen what I see... An S66 comes... Tons of people back up even though it goes to where they're going but because it literally takes the long way there, they'd rather just wait for the next bus.  It's almost become like that bus that serves the Victory Blvd section from say Jewel to Clove (in other words, people will only get on if they're going from that point to that point and not the ferry) and then the folks in Grymes Hill to the ferry.  

Most certainly have.

Probably no demand for it. It doesn't run frequently at all either.

I'd say it's a little bit of both... You're right; it doesn't have the frequency for LTD service anyway....

I know this is just a weird thing I complain about, but can someone explain to my why the B38 and B41, with both having one end each be a completely different terminal, don't just have one branch called the "A" and the other keep the number or "A" and "B" branches?

I know this is just a weird thing I complain about, but can someone explain to my why the B38 and B41, with both having one end each be a completely different terminal, don't just have one branch called the "A" and the other keep the number or "A" and "B" branches?

and one branch on the  :bus_bullet_b38: has overnight service only 

So basically No Orion Vs would be on the B38 Limited ?

Hmm.... Well why would there be.....

You can throw the B17 in that pile as well....

The question I have is (and it correlates to your inquiry, except I'm suggesting the opposite happen), why don't they get rid of lettering bus route numbers throughout the system.... They did it with the QM1a by breaking it up into 50 million separate route (route #'s), with the Bxm4a/b by axing the 4b & calling the lone service the BxM4, with the BxM7b by fusing those two trips or w/e it had into extended BxM8's, the Q65a renamed the Q64, Q101r renamed Q100, Q19a renamed Q69, Q19b renamed Q49, etc etc....

However, we still have the BxM7a, Q20a/b, the x17 branches (regardless of rush hour services or not, like QJT brought up the last time I mentioned this), the M14a/d..... Hell - they got rid of the Q14 and added a suffix - the Q15a (which serves the area that the 14 used to terminate at in Whitestone), they also added another suffix - the M34a (which used to be the M16, so they could further implement SBS along 34th)....

I probably forgot some examples on both sides of the coin, but ultimately what I'm getting at is....

Where's the consistency?......

On one hand, you're (not you Culver, but the MTA) eliminating letter suffixes to route numbers, and OTOH you're adding letter suffixes to route numbers.... smh.....

The BxM7A is the 8 dude. It was just dumb with what they did with the Q14. It's gonna happen again when Woodhaven SBS is implemented.

Yeah there was the BxM7, BxM7A and BxM7B. lol Then the A and B went away and became the BxM8 with the two City Island extended trips mornings and nights.

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm7acur.pdf

http://mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm7bcur.pdf

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8