BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One MCI got repainted couple months ago...3263. Only the back of course.

Yeah that's usually the case and I can usually tell because the numbering is off.  Yonkers Depot hand washes their buses which I think helps keep looking good much longer without any paint jobs needed.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I remember when they were $4. Wasn't that when the local buses were $2.00?

They were $4 twice, actually. First in the late 90s when the fare was $1.50, and then with the 2003 increases to $2. In between, express bus fares actually dropped to $3. The earlier MCIs were built around the time that the fare was still $4.

MCI's aren't repainted for the most part... No need to...

Which is bizarre to me, since they're used just as much as other buses.

Hand wash!That's news to me...

Yeah Yonkers I believe is one of the few that do that and they have the best maintenance hands down.  My B/O buddy was working in the depot due to a temporary situation and was telling me about what they had him doing, but it's also a small depot so the way that they set things up makes it possible to keep their buses in tip top shape.  He also said that they actually clean the inside of the bus, which many depots don't do.  You can certainly tell too.  

Which is bizarre to me, since they're used just as much as other buses.

Makes perfect sense... The MCI's are made to take abuse.  If they're treated well, those buses can look brand new.  Most of Yonkers MCI's look almost brand new and many of them are 7+ years old.  Then again, they do get rehabbed around 7-8 years, but still.

Makes perfect sense... The MCI's are made to take abuse.  If they're treated well, those buses can look brand new.  Most of Yonkers MCI's look almost brand new and many of them are 7+ years old.  Then again, they do get rehabbed around 7-8 years, but still.

Lol, first of all, every bus is built to take abuse. Have you noticed why RTSes have been on our streets for roughly thirty fifty years? Secondly, that still doesn't have to do with the paint, which is original on the MCIs and not on any other buses. 

Lol, first of all, every bus is built to take abuse. Have you noticed why RTSes have been on our streets for roughly thirty fifty years? Secondly, that still doesn't have to do with the paint, which is original on the MCIs and not on any other buses. 

Yes, but MCI's are the ultimate beasts.  Besides, local buses are much more heavily used than most express buses.  Express buses aren't all white and blue like the local buses either save those hideous Prevosts with the knock-off (MTA) logo.  <_<

Then you had 2006 which was completely repainted top to bottom

That was only due to a rust problem or something and they repainted it as a test.  Looked horrible.  Not only did they repaint that bus, but they also put in different seats too with those terrible reclining mechanisms similar to what it is used on the current Prevosts.  I was glad to see that bus go and hated seeing it in the distance coming to my bus stop.

How come when the fare goes up the express bus fare rises higher than the Local/Limited Buses? The price of the local/ limited goes up every 25 cents which isn't bad but the express bus fare went from $4 to $5.50 and then to $6. Does that have an effect on ridership because some people might want to save a few dollars by taking a Local or limited bus to the subway?

Edited by College Pt Man

Yes, but MCI's are the ultimate beasts.  Besides, local buses are much more heavily used than most express buses.  Express buses aren't all white and blue like the local buses either save those hideous Prevosts with the knock-off (MTA) logo.  <_<

Prevosts are great buses. Ever wonder why greyhound has more than 500 of them? cause it is the best intercity/express bus. 

MTA *could* order MCIs without the stainless steel on the bottom. The MCI CNGs in NJ don't have it.

Prevosts are great buses. Ever wonder why greyhound has more than 500 of them? cause it is the best intercity/express bus.

That bus is best built for over the road shoot down the interstate use. As great as the Prevost is, its not built for NYC stop and go traffic.

MCI on the other hand, is like the RTS of over-the-road coaches. It could take a beating and then some, its pretty much built like a tank and can get tossed around like a piece of paper

How come when the fare goes up the express bus fare rises higher than the Local/Limited Buses? The price of the local/ limited goes up every 25 cents which isn't bad but the express bus fare went from $4 to $5.50 and then to $6. Does that have an effect on ridership because some people might want to save a few dollars by taking a Local or limited bus to the subway?

well express buses should be at least double the local fare given they are one way trips and the bus has to recover the costs somewhere. I dunno if there's a market for reverse direction travel, so those buses are empty on the return trip back or they sit in the manhattan depots till the pm rush.

Fresh Pond gets 2nd hand buses or older ones because their routes aren't as demanding as say ENY or FB's are.

That's true tho. I don't know too many people that take the B38 or B52 as a pose to people I know that take the B82 or the B46. But still, they have too many Next Gens. That's what I'm saying lol

Because the express bus is a premium fare, just like Metro North and the Long Island Railroad.  All three of them are commuter services geared towards those who want a faster commute and more comfort as well, which the subway doesn't offer.  That faster commute and comfort costs more.  It's just like riding in economy vs first class on an airplane.  You pay more but you have a better ride.  The hike will be a bit more because the fare is already double or triple the subway in some cases.  Here in Riverdale, Metro North went from $7.50 during peak times to $8.25 one way, which is triple the cost of the subway.  Off-peak it is $6.25, which is in line with the express bus.

lol... This is a discussion that has been had several times on this forum.  Let's just say that as a daily express bus rider, I prefer MCI's by a mile.

MTA *could* order MCIs without the stainless steel on the bottom. The MCI CNGs in NJ don't have it.

Yeah, but having the stainless steel on the bottom means less maintenance.  All they have to do is clean the bus and keep it up and there's really no need to do repaints in most cases.

i'll just post this here, if someone wants to make this into a thread go right ahead,

A veteran city bus driver was killed in a horrific car wreck in Brooklyn Tuesday morning, losing control after she collided with a car and drove head-on into an oncoming tractor-trailer, authorities said.

Rosa Eubanks, 54, was on her way to work at the Flatbush bus depot in the Flatlands when her green Pontiac Grand Prix struck a Volkswagen at the intersection of Foster Avenue and Ralph Avenue in Canarsie.

Cops said her car careened into a tractor trailer that was heading east on Foster Avenue, while the other driver, 22, spun out and slammed his Volkswagen sedan into a lightpole.

Eubanks was rushed to Brookdale Hospital but could not be saved.

An MTA spokeswoman said that Eubanks was a 19-year veteran. She began working as a driver in December 1993.

JP Patafio, a TA surface vice president at the Transit Worker Union, said Eubanks was a beloved mother who was adored by her coworkers who had many good memories of her.

“They were shocked and really devastated,” he said. “She was really loved in the depot, absolutely. It’s just horrible, it’s just a tragic death.”

The driver of the Volkswagen was also treated at Brookdale Hospital, but listed in stable condition. The tractor-trailer driver was not hurt.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/22/woman-dies-after-head-on-crash-with-tractor-trailer/