BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

They are not the way they use to be. Now these buses are constantly getting swapped so they all look the same. There are still a few good units at CS, ECH,KB and GH.

True.  Way too much swapping going on these days.

I heard that they would be gone by the end of the year. But I agree that Orion 5 buses are the worst. They look like a dead whale pulled from a giant trash can and they make annoying sounds when they pull out of a bus stop. And now I have to see those disgusting, filthy buses on the B13 which is one of my home routes.

LMAO... I cringe every time I see them in Riverdale  on the Bx7 or Bx10 or Bx20.  Most of those buses were SI buses and Yukon and Castleton really tore those buses apart.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True.  Way too much swapping going on these days.

LMAO... I cringe every time I see them in Riverdale  on the Bx7 or Bx10 or Bx20.  Most of those buses were SI buses and Yukon and Castleton really tore those buses apart.

Especially the ones with the black backs are disgusting. I see them on the Q32 too after I get out of school. Seeing those disgraceful buses makes me want to bash then with a fiery axe. I'm at least glad they aren't on the Q67 anymore. I wished those were retired instead of the GMC RTS-04s.

Especially the ones with the black backs are disgusting. I see them on the Q32 too after I get out of school. Seeing those disgraceful buses makes me want to bash then with a fiery axe. I'm at least glad they aren't on the Q67 anymore. I wished those were retired instead of the GMC RTS-04s.

LOL.. The Q32 has them a lot in Manhattan. I once rode one along Madison Avenue.  Boy was it a throw back!  One section where the three seaters are, all of the seats were missing.  I just stood there out of the way.  It was a very decrepit bus.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

LOL.. The Q32 has them a lot in Manhattan. I once rode one along Madison Avenue.  Boy was it a throw back!  One section where the three seaters are, all of the seats were missing.  I just stood there out of the way.  It was a very decrepit bus.

I used them on the Q25 and Q38 buses and the rattling the bus makes was annoying. And oh boy I couldn't stand the sounds it makes either. It literally sounds like someone taking a piss. Riding those things is like being thrown against a wall over and over again.

Got a question: What model bus is this? I'm not at all familiar with minibuses and vans.

l.jpg

And for good measure, what's this? All I know is that it's a Gillig LF, but I am wondering what the model number it is (Like the Phantoms from Suffolk are 35TB102 models).

10157502843_0d138118a5_b.jpg
DSC04294 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

10157263924_0be645a652_b.jpg
DSC04296 by GojiMet86, on Flickr
Edited by GojiMet86

I heard that they would be gone by the end of the year. But I agree that Orion 5 buses are the worst. They look like a dead whale pulled from a giant trash can and they make annoying sounds when they pull out of a bus stop. And now I have to see those disgusting, filthy buses on the B13 which is one of my home routes.

The Orion V CNG's will be gone by year's end. The Diesel Orion V's ain't going nowhere for the next 3 to 4 years. A lot are doing well, but it all depends on which depot carries them.

I used them on the Q25 and Q38 buses and the rattling the bus makes was annoying. And oh boy I couldn't stand the sounds it makes either. It literally sounds like someone taking a piss. Riding those things is like being thrown against a wall over and over again.

They have Orion V CNG's. They're a completely different beast than the Diesel Orion V's.

Got a question: What model bus is this? I'm not at all familiar with minibuses and vans.

l.jpg

And for good measure, what's this? All I know is that it's a Gillig LF, but I am wondering what the model number it is (Like the Phantoms from Suffolk are 35TB102 models).

10157502843_0d138118a5_b.jpg
DSC04294 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

10157263924_0be645a652_b.jpg
DSC04296 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

The Airporter is IIRC an Eldorado National Aero Elite with an International/IC Bus chassis.

The Gillig appears to be a 35 foot model. It's one of the ones that operate airside for Delta at LGA between their terminals (on the back there should be a red Port Authority/LGA tag in addition to the regualr NY plate).

There were big bus and long strecht limo accident near Horse Carriage's Hack Line.

Dear Animal Activists today around 17:00 when I was walking westbound on 59th St from Grand Army Plaza, I was surprise to find cars, taxis, carriage horses, tour buses and trucks lined up together and I almost thought it was horse-drawn carriage accident, however when I got to 6th Av/59th St, MTA Bus BxM2 #3187 from Yonkers Depot turning left at northbound 6th Av to westbound 59th St had accident with white long strecht limousine, properly limo driver northbound turning left cut off the bus. I imagine myself that limousine could have been HORSE CARRIAGE. I got great pictures of accidents I'll share.
Scene of Accident in front of Horse Carriage Hack Line at 59th St/6th Av
1392081_255671731247624_561664376_n.jpg

1385572_255671751247622_136053353_n.jpg

1385476_255671797914284_1744513794_n.jpg

1393007_255671811247616_2137049832_n.jpg

1390531_255671877914276_30109636_n.jpg

1383648_255671894580941_2019373467_n.jpg

1378723_255671901247607_634024495_n.jpg

1375005_255671957914268_1458803777_n.jpg

1148803_255671987914265_1374125998_n.jpg

Trucks, Tour Buses and M5 buses were stuck on 59th St until BxM2 bus were able to move. Car drivers are impatient and honking their horn off to move when both buses, and trucks cannot get around the bus stuck in middle of intersection. Other bus, trucks and long limo has to make wide left turn entering East Drive crosswalk to get around the bus. 

Edited by FamousNYLover

Yeah I know. I just wish they could can them already.  I think from my experiences on Staten Island with those buses (filthy, duct tape on the handlebars and lack of AC) that I have an extreme dislike of them.  If they were better maintained I would probably have a different view of them.

And as been said many times before: even if they got brand new buses, it won't mean shit if they are still treated like shit. As for the O5s, not my favs, but the ex-BLs have earned my respect for still running 'well' despite being thru the likes of LGA and JFK/FR. Thank god for the RTSs they were all pulled from SI when the NGs went there. I think if those O5s were in Brooklyn instead of the RTSs, they might not be as badly beaten by the roads, depots (when it was just the 2) and riders.

=

As for 2nd hand buses, the artics I see on the Q35, were they already filthy (one had graffiti on the back wall) before they were sent there or was that while they've been at JFK/FR?

And as been said many times before: even if they got brand new buses, it won't mean shit if they are still treated like shit. As for the O5s, not my favs, but the ex-BLs have earned my respect for still running 'well' despite being thru the likes of LGA and JFK/FR. Thank god for the RTSs they were all pulled from SI when the NGs went there. I think if those O5s were in Brooklyn instead of the RTSs, they might not be as badly beaten by the roads, depots (when it was just the 2) and riders.

=

As for 2nd hand buses, the artics I see on the Q35, were they already filthy (one had graffiti on the back wall) before they were sent there or was that while they've been at JFK/FR?

They got filthy when they were sent to JFK.

So I was talking to a friend, his name and rank doesn't matter but he listed for me in order from best to worst MTA Bus depots as reflected by MDBF: Yonkers, Eastchester, Spring Creek, College Point Depot, JFK, Far Rock, LGA and last place is Baisley Park.

He said he would compile a list with MTA Bus and NYCT but he hasn't done that yet.

So I was talking to a friend, his name and rank doesn't matter but he listed for me in order from best to worst MTA Bus depots as reflected by MDBF: Yonkers, Eastchester, Spring Creek, College Point Depot, JFK, Far Rock, LGA and last place is Baisley Park.

He said he would compile a list with MTA Bus and NYCT but he hasn't done that yet.

I'd have to agree with that.  We once had a loaner on the BxM1 from Baisley. The floor was so filthy.  They have like 6 MCI's to maintain.  Pretty pathetic.  Luckily I haven't seen that bus since.

There were big bus and long strecht limo accident near Horse Carriage's Hack Line.

Dear Animal Activists today around 17:00 when I was walking westbound on 59th St from Grand Army Plaza, I was surprise to find cars, taxis, carriage horses, tour buses and trucks lined up together and I almost thought it was horse-drawn carriage accident, however when I got to 6th Av/59th St, MTA Bus BxM2 #3187 from Yonkers Depot turning left at northbound 6th Av to westbound 59th St had accident with white long strecht limousine, properly limo driver northbound turning left cut off the bus. I imagine myself that limousine could have been HORSE CARRIAGE. I got great pictures of accidents I'll share.
Scene of Accident in front of Horse Carriage Hack Line at 59th St/6th Av
1392081_255671731247624_561664376_n.jpg

1385572_255671751247622_136053353_n.jpg

1385476_255671797914284_1744513794_n.jpg

1393007_255671811247616_2137049832_n.jpg

1390531_255671877914276_30109636_n.jpg

1383648_255671894580941_2019373467_n.jpg

1378723_255671901247607_634024495_n.jpg

1375005_255671957914268_1458803777_n.jpg

1148803_255671987914265_1374125998_n.jpg

Trucks, Tour Buses and M5 buses were stuck on 59th St until BxM2 bus were able to move. Car drivers are impatient and honking their horn off to move when both buses, and trucks cannot get around the bus stuck in middle of intersection. Other bus, trucks and long limo has to make wide left turn entering East Drive crosswalk to get around the bus. 

Too many of our Riverdale express buses OOS.  Hopefully we don't have to start getting loaners...  <_<

=

Well yeah and I don't understand why Staten Island got so many new local buses first, then they were spread to other depots instead of each depot getting their fair share of new local buses knowing how poorly Staten Island treats their buses.

how many are out? the only one i remember that is out was when the driver had a heart attack and went demolition derby up madison ave 

Not sure, but Yonkers does a lot of work on their buses to keep them up and running and their fleet is getting older, hence more maintenance needed.  I was talking about that BxM18 incident with my B/O friend the other night and he strongly believes that the guy just fell asleep, as he likes to eat up a lot of hours.  Apparently there was nothing to show from the tests they conducted that he had a heart attack, although at first that was the thought when he was rushed to the hospital, but he eventually woke up and stopped the bus on his own after a few passengers helped him out to steer the bus, which is exactly what passengers on the bus told me.  I was on the BxM18 behind the one that was out of control and they got on my bus on Madison as we were waiting to turn on a side street up near 86th street and detour and explained what happened when I asked since I've rode with some of those passengers regularly.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I noticed that the B4 is getting much better ridership as of late...

FYI: I took it today and there were no seats open and a lot of people standing. I know one can't make inferences based on one bus but this has been happening more and more as of late. 

Could this mean that the MTA will decide to increase headways, at least during rush hours

Edited by NYSubwayBuff

FYI: I took it today and there were no seats open and a lot of people standing. I know one can't make inferences based on one bus but this has been happening more and more as of late. 

Could this mean that the MTA will decide to increase headways, at least during rush hours

This is very true, B4 ridership has really increased since full Sheepshead Bay service has been restored, I have seen standing loads as well during the week and even once or twice during the weekend. I think the B4 can levy some 10 minute headways in the AM Rush to Bay Ridge, and 12-15 min AM rush to Sheepshead Bay, and visa versa in the PM rush, and 20 minute Midday headways, weekends remaining the same. You are right though, and hopefully the MTA will realize this and add a few runs in the near future.

I am surprised BP is last but they kept getting JFK/FR and LGA Orion VII's while they kept sending their good ones out.

This is very true, B4 ridership has really increased since full Sheepshead Bay service has been restored, I have seen standing loads as well during the week and even once or twice during the weekend. I think the B4 can levy some 10 minute headways in the AM Rush to Bay Ridge, and 12-15 min AM rush to Sheepshead Bay, and visa versa in the PM rush, and 20 minute Midday headways, weekends remaining the same. You are right though, and hopefully the MTA will realize this and add a few runs in the near future.

I hate,HATE to say this but most of the B4's ridership if not all,at least in Bay Ridge,is FHHS students...

The only time where there shouldn't be as much runs is at 2PM when there is only like 2 ppl on the bus

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free