BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I noticed that the B4 is getting much better ridership as of late...

FYI: I took it today and there were no seats open and a lot of people standing. I know one can't make inferences based on one bus but this has been happening more and more as of late. 

Could this mean that the MTA will decide to increase headways, at least during rush hours

This is very true, B4 ridership has really increased since full Sheepshead Bay service has been restored, I have seen standing loads as well during the week and even once or twice during the weekend. I think the B4 can levy some 10 minute headways in the AM Rush to Bay Ridge, and 12-15 min AM rush to Sheepshead Bay, and visa versa in the PM rush, and 20 minute Midday headways, weekends remaining the same. You are right though, and hopefully the MTA will realize this and add a few runs in the near future.

I hate,HATE to say this but most of the B4's ridership if not all,at least in Bay Ridge,is FHHS students...

The only time where there shouldn't be as much runs is at 2PM when there is only like 2 ppl on the bus

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

There are more than two people on the B4 at 2pm its SRO leaving Narrows at that point...

The B4 always had decent ridership in Sheepshead Bay.  The problem was Ulmer Park ran that line like garbage and would often times pull buses from the B4 to fill in on other lines.  I used to live in Sheepshead Bay and the B4 was a bus I would use traveling from IS 43 at the time.  Sometimes you could wait 40 minutes + for one bus to show up and on occasion 2 buses would show up but not often. This was during the 90's when the B4 really ran like garbage even with the 15 minute headways. When Jackie Gleason took over, service improved a lot.  That's one reason I fought to get the Sheepshead Bay portion restored fully knowing how many businesses were hurt along Emmons and how many people needed that bus.  Now that Jackie Gleason has it completely you will see ridership continue to grow.  I've used it a few times to travel from Sheepshead Bay to Bay Ridge and have been very impressed with the ridership.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note do you guys think thqt the new Boro Taxis will decrease ridership ( http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/08/10/nyregion/first-all-borough-taxis-go-into-operation.html?redir_esc=&hl=en&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=android-browser-suggest&v=200400000&qsubts=1382052079967&q=boro%20taxis%20nyc&) ex: taking a boro taxi coming home instead of a bus

On another note do you guys think thqt the new Boro Taxis will decrease ridership ( http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/08/10/nyregion/first-all-borough-taxis-go-into-operation.html?redir_esc=&hl=en&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&source=android-browser-suggest&v=200400000&qsubts=1382052079967&q=boro%20taxis%20nyc&) ex: taking a boro taxi coming home instead of a bus

They are not going to affect bus ridership at all. Car service taxi's have been accepting street hails for longer than I can remember. It's just legal for some of them to do so now...

Well yeah and I don't understand why Staten Island got so many new local buses first, then they were spread to other depots instead of each depot getting their fair share of new local buses knowing how poorly Staten Island treats their buses.

the 3800s were lead acid battery buses and i think they were better suited for shorter distances like the manhattan crosstown lines. Lithium ion battery buses pushed them all out. Same story witht he 3900s at fb. Those were pushed out when the 4570s to 4630 group arrived.

Dunno how long the o5s are staying in brooklyn, but at least it meant the ngs that were at fp were sent back to si where they came from.

=

Rode artic 5415 on the q35 yesterday. Also rts 9311 on the q35 as well.

Edited by Grand Concourse

6170- CAS

Has that big ugly side ad on the drivers side from the window to the base and from wheel to wheel...

6212-CH

Also has that ad

20131018_080108_zps06654ec8.jpg

I like those ads.  I hope we see more of these type of ads all over the city.  It would be great to see wheel to wheel ads on the NG's and all the outer borough buses.

I think that b41 and 46 should both be +sbs+

Kings Plaza having 2 SBS routes? Wow.

Why not? It will only make bus service faster... unlike some people on this forum im a big supporter of +SBS+ and other services like it

Why not? It will only make bus service faster... unlike some people on this forum im a big supporter of +SBS+ and other services like it

it is pointless without enforcement. They don't even do enough enforcement as it is. Yes i do agree the off board payment and loading from all the doors is good, but i'm not optimistic it will work given how the riders here would likely just farebeat despite the fine threat.

I tell ya, I'm liking these Chinatown-Flushing minibuses. Took one back earlier from Flushing, knew they were there but never needed them, took a while to fill up and they won't leave until every seat is full (guessing it only takes that long later than 7PM) but once we were outta there that guy hauled ass all the way to the Willy B. Dropped me and a bunch of others off right at Allen and Delancey for an easy transfer to the M15 home just 20 minutes (maybe a bit less) after leaving Flushing. Much quicker and less stressful than taking the (7), all for just a quarter more.

Yes they are officially licensed/inspected by the city, and unlike the Flatbush vans ALL of them.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life