BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Yesterday, I was waiting for the Q28 at the first stop on the corner of Union Street where the Q13 and Q16 are, and there was a training bus #4505 from LGA.. It was making a turn and got into an accident, in which it then caused a 5 minute delay for my bus (which couldn't get into the stop due to a driver who couldn't move 2 cm to the right..... )Anyways I overheard the B/O saying that it got hit on the side by a car or something, and one thing I noticed is that the bus turned right on the left lane, in which usually buses turn right thru the right lane, and that confused me. 

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are actually right. Almost all the buses say Riis Park now because the beach ridership has exploded and lots of people use to ask if the bus went to the beach. The trend I'm seeing now is the signs reading Riis Park until the bus gets there. I was on 3505 i think it was Monday and it said Riis Park, but when I got off at Riis I noticed it said 116. Other than that it may be for short turns also. There are a ton of people lined up for that bus in front of Target all day till about 4pm.

Those crowds at the junction are always gonna be apparent, for a few reasons....

I guess the b/o of the one bus I saw pulling into B 116th (that still had the RIIS PARK signage up) just said f*** it & left it up there, realizing whoever was on the bus after the Riis beach stop were heading to B 116th anyway (I'd say about 25 ppl got off that bus, before my brooklyn bound Q35 pulled out).... Which is how the EB Q35 is used; very few passenger activity (pickups/dropoffs) along Newport heading towards B 116th.....

Poor lady maybe after a long day of work she needed some time to release her stress lol.

Isn't most of the Q35 ridership between Brooklyn college and Riis Park. I see people board by B.116st but most still head to the Q22 since it is more frequent especially in the summer.

What short trips does the Q35 have because according to the schedule it seems that all Q35 travel to and from B.116st and via Riis Park between 9AM-9PM on weekdays and from 7AM to 9:30pm on the weekends.

One last thing back in the PBL didn't the Q22 have a short turn in somewhere in Breezy Point and didn't the Q53 have select runs to Riis Park?

* During the summer, yes, most of the usage is b/w the junction & the beach....

Other seasons, most of the usage is (still) within brooklyn, and those that ride from brooklyn to either [xfer to the Q22], or [ride out to B. 116th].....

* I don't know what short turns the Q35 currently has (if they even have any).... But in summers past on the weekends, buses used to run b/w the junction & riis beach....

(this is what BM5 Woodhaven is referring to when he says "Well, the thing is, the RIIS PARK runs are never posted on the actual schedule." - Which Ill address when I get to his reply.....)

* It was a school tripper that ran from B. 222nd (Breezy Point) to Beach Channel HS.....

Don't think the Q53 ever ran out to Riis......

The Q35 signage should be the same as the Q37. Rockaway Park via Riis and Brooklyn College via Riis. Not signed up as Riis Park

That's exactly what I'm getting at....

1. Then it seems that traffic cleared off on the LIE when you were on the 16, because the situation was different before.

2. Probably a failed attempt to get some sleep.

3. Bunching

4. Well, the thing is, the RIIS PARK runs are never posted on the actual schedule. They also usually depart within minutes of a bus going the full route's departure, or minutes before. Now, since the B9 & B46 stopped serving Riis Park (imagining a route that prolonged would be a nightmare today), I know they (GBL back then) probably placed extra beach runs. I don't know if any of them had service on weekdays, but if they did, then there chance that there might be unscheduled Q35 runs from Brooklyn to Queens. 

With the Q22, there isn't a need of extra trips, because ridership usually dies down by after 116 towards Roxbury, so I don't suspect they have those runs only between RIIS and 116.

1. Well good, one less thing I had to worry about...

2. Who knows...

3. Oh....

4. Were never posted (which was true)....

...But now, that's not the case anymore; the Riis Beach trips are designated on the current Q35 schedule.... ENY (the member) is definitely onto something - I don't remember seeing as many people on a weekday coming back from the beach that late on the Q35, so usage to/from the beach has definitely increased......

As for the Q22, yeah, these days (sans the beach goers), vast majority of riders only ride WB past B 116th so they can catch the Q35 at its (the 22's) terminal over there on B. 169th (instead of getting off & walking over to B 116th/Newport... which is what I'd rather do if I were coming off the 22, because I never really cared for that isolated stop).... Not sure why you brought up the Q22 though.....

You fail to notice me saying that when im on the express bus I take my shoes off and ny socks are clean I guarantee you that. And I completely agree with you that stretching out is unacceptable, IF there is someone in the vicinity

I'd worry more about the dirtiness of the seats, not the cleanliness of your socks...... I don't want my socks ending up with the same grime that came from off OPP (other people's pants... lol).... More power to you, I guess, because there is No way in hell I'd take off my shoes & having my socks touch anything on a bus or train whilst riding public transportation....

Edited by B35 via Church

What short trips does the Q35 have because according to the schedule it seems that all Q35 travel to and from B.116st and via Riis Park between 9AM-9PM on weekdays and from 7AM to 9:30pm on the weekends.

One last thing back in the PBL didn't the Q22 have a short turn in somewhere in Breezy Point and didn't the Q53 have select runs to Riis Park?

There used to be short turns only between Brooklyn and RIIS Park, in addition to the current service provide (I don't know about now).

1. The Q22 had a school run from Breezy Point in the AM, and to Breezy Point in the PM.

Oh boy these New Flyer C40's can really blow some air out. Sometimes I feel like taking a jacket just for the bus. They will literally have you shivering sometimes.

IMO the New Flyer buses have the best AC in the MTA fleet. The Orion VII's also have great AC.

The LFSA's OTOH....

@B35 only on the express bus I am not such a germaphobe on local bus/subway I would never do that. I remember when I was young I asked my mom if I could get STD's riding on the train before I knew what it was

LMAO... You mean what they are... STDs=sexually transmitted diseases, hence the "they"...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Is 5138 a Flatbush bus or Grand Av's bus?

And Is Grand Av getting those 5000s or its just loaners?

Yea 5138 was on the B32 today. It's hard to say if they are loaners or not because GA has 5 of them; 4956 4968 5037 5138 and 5149. 5149 was on the B62 today. Also 4968 has been at GA since May and is still here.

LMAO... You mean what they are... STDs=sexually transmitted diseases, hence the "they"...

Whatever...

OTOH

Ladies and Gentlemen, lets all give an applause to the DOT for deciding to do repairs on the LIE leading from the toll gate.Traffic gridblock all over the place near the bridge and tunnel. Was taking the QM24 home, 20 minutes late and 100 stops before even reaching the bridge. Is it bad if I say the fastest part of my QM24 trip was the only three blocks on Eliot Avenue that I was on the bus for?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

The C40LFs have the best A/C. Xcelsior and below in terms of New Flyer have crappy HVACs. I'm actually on an LFSA on the M60 and it's pretty frosty up in here.

Whatever they've been doing to the Carrier HVACs is definitely working.

Edited by Cait Sith

I don't know if the X23 or X24 would qualify here since they are run by Academy, but has anyone seen the ex GO Transit MCIs they're using now?

Yessir, shot one myself.

10392335_10152992443179348_3243114451893

-----------------------------

1002 and 5260 have pulled into Mother Clara Hale.

Edited by Cait Sith

One of the rear seats on 4956 (All the way in the back) is super hot. I felt like my ass was on fire literally. I was about to jump out of it. It burned so bad lol.

Clearly the bus is overheated, but it runs awesome.

Edited by E For Erica

The C40LFs have the best A/C. Xcelsior and below in terms of New Flyer have crappy HVACs. I'm actually on an LFSA on the M60 and it's pretty frosty up in here. Whatever they've been doing to the Carrier HVACs is definitely working.

I forgot which LFSA's have Thermo Kings....

Yessir, shot one myself.

10392335_10152992443179348_3243114451893

-----------------------------

1002 and 5260 have pulled into Mother Clara Hale.

I've seen those going down Hylan on their way back to the city. I've mostly seen MCIs with those type headlights on those runs. I saw an Academy J4500 once going the same way, and assumed it was doing the same deadhead. Does Academy use their silver Van Hools on the 23 and 24, or are those only for their longer distance runs?

Edited by Culver