BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am wondering if the (MTA) are still continuing to install real time bus arrival displays on bus shelters. Are they?

To my knowledge no.  If you see displays, they are usually funded by local politicians. The program that the (MTA) started proved to be unreliable and was scrapped for BusTime.  Some politicians have argued that certain areas where seniors rely on buses and don't have smart phones need countdown clocks, and in those areas, funds have been allocated for such displays.

Got dam M42. I ride it a lot, and let me just say, the scheduling is off. They never really do leave at specific times. From what I can tell, they just let the passengers build up for a while, then send bunches of buses in groups (2-3 usually, I've seen 4 happen though). They are all held up at 8th Avenue. Literally, at Port Authority every morning, there's a whole line of people waiting for the M42 eastbound. In the afternoon into PM rush, they can send two buses in a group, and both of them will be packed westbound until 8th.

No wonder it's the slowest route. I think that it's the most "frequent" during rush hours, though. I can't really tell because BusTime is always hiding some buses off the radar. Is there any other single, non-branch route (M14A/D, Bx1/2, Bx40/42) that has headways of "3 minutes"? Maybe it would help if the M104 was extended to the U.N. again.

On a side note, saw 380_ on the M14D during the rainy day. Is this what causes artic. routes to have 40 ft buses?

Got dam M42. I ride it a lot, and let me just say, the scheduling is off. They never really do leave at specific times. From what I can tell, they just let the passengers build up for a while, then send bunches of buses in groups (2-3 usually, I've seen 4 happen though). They are all held up at 8th Avenue. Literally, at Port Authority every morning, there's a whole line of people waiting for the M42 eastbound. In the afternoon into PM rush, they can send two buses in a group, and both of them will be packed westbound until 8th.

No wonder it's the slowest route. I think that it's the most "frequent" during rush hours, though. I can't really tell because BusTime is always hiding some buses off the radar. Is there any other single, non-branch route (M14A/D, Bx1/2, Bx40/42) that has headways of "3 minutes"? Maybe it would help if the M104 was extended to the U.N. again.

On a side note, saw 380_ on the M14D during the rainy day. Is this what causes artic. routes to have 40 ft buses?

The M42 should have artics already.  I've seen those ridiculous lines in the morning when I used to commute via New Jersey on the Staten Island express buses.  They are brutal as they pack people in like herd on those buses.  As far as frequencies, if you combined all of the M14 branches, I am fairly comfortable saying that the headways would be pretty close (if not better) to those of the M42 frequencies during the height of the rush.

Addressing your side note, depots may be short or don't have enough artics available, so a 40-footer is sent out. Nothing new.

That and also inclimate weather may force them to use 40 footers to avoid accidents with the artics.  I'm wondering how that will work in the future though, with the (MTA) using artics on more and more routes.  I wonder if they'll have enough 40 footers going forward to substitute the artics when necessary.

That and also inclimate weather may force them to use 40 footers to avoid accidents with the artics. I'm wondering how that will work in the future though, with the (MTA) using artics on more and more routes. I wonder if they'll have enough 40 footers going forward to substitute the artics when necessary.

With the upcoming option orders, they should have plenty.

Is it just me or do a lot of the Hybrids from KB have the "Y" and the "K" from the NYC Bus decals on the door side by the rear removed somehow? It's something I've noticed from the Bx3/7/10/13 lately. They can't all be running out there with " (MTA) New  or  City Bus" decals can they?

Edited by paulrivera

Is it just me or do a lot of the Hybrids from KB have the "Y" and the "K" from the NYC Bus decals on the door side by the rear removed somehow? It's something I've noticed from the Bx3/7/10/13 lately. They can't all be running out there with " (MTA) New  or  City Bus" decals can they?

lol I've noticed it as well on the Bx7 or Bx10 buses running through Riverdale. Probably some jerk doing it out of the depot that has too free time on his hands.

It is awesome when you get those fast driver that don't play no games behind the wheel. Yesterday I took the Q25 out of Flushing towards Jamaica and he closed the doors once it was time to go. There was still some room for people but he closed the doors and also skipped the next stop which was Kissena Blvd and Main Street. I was very happy because he did not waste time dwelling at stops and cruising down the road. The bus stayed crowded and there was this MTA worker in the front recording whatever. Drivers like the one I had yesterday are the drivers we should have. I never got from Flushing to Jewel Ave within 13 minutes during a time other than nights.

I hear that's typical if the ferry's late. The (SIR) trains usually wait too.

So I was outside Staten Island ferry terminals and the buses scheduled to leave can't leave yet b/c of the ferry not being at its terminal

That depends on how long the ferry is delayed.  There are times when the buses are allowed to leave if the ferry is really late, which sucks royally because you have to wait another 30 minutes or so for the next set of buses to arrive, which can lead to crushloaded buses.  The reason they have to leave at some point is because the run times are tight, so having them be late for one trip, can lead to them running late and trying to play catchup during each trip, causing other riders to miss their ferry connection.