BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Welcome to the terror dome....

This is the norm on a lot of Brooklyn routes..... Gotta love the way folks (young or old, does not matter) Deebo they way onto the bus.

Not trying to be funny, but I'm not talking about just the routes that run through black & hispanic neighborhoods either.... People are fed up across the board, and the more the fare increases, the liberty more riders are going to take in not being all that courteous.... The fact that people are broke (or feigning broke so hard that they actually believe they are broke) doesn't help matters....

I remember the Qbx1/early stages of the Q50 as a route where folks would line up (Pelham Bay) & people would board single file.... Disembarking the bus wasn't all too problematic..... Now nzzzz's is deebo-ing MF-ers off Q50's? Lol....

Boarding buses still isn't problematic but with that disembarkment at Pelham Bay the Q50 ends up doing what most Bx23 buses do which is drop passengers off at the BL-45 stop so when it pulls into it's actual stop it only has to worry about picking up riders. On that note the Q50 has been on the up and up as far as ridership is concerned.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I was on a local Bx12, and while we were at a stop with the doors closed I saw this group of school kids (about a dozen of them) basically dawdling about towards the bus with no effort at all until the light to cross the street was changing. The ones that actually made it across before the light tried to get the B/O to open the door for the whole group......

Of course the B/O drove off, and it was actually a little amusing.

Today I was on a local Bx12, and while we were at a stop with the doors closed I saw this group of school kids (about a dozen of them) basically dawdling about towards the bus with no effort at all until the light to cross the street was changing. The ones that actually made it across before the light tried to get the B/O to open the door for the whole group......

I wish a lot of bus drivers would do that especially if they know that huge group will cause them to run late or will cause huge disruptions like the middle school kids in my area do. It is very annoying and some bus drivers say that they are going to pass the stop where those kids are. They talk loud, curse, playing music loud and just can't sit still no manners whatsoever. The MTA is at fault sometimes because they are not running school trippers the correct. The high school that I'm graduating next month Francis Lewis High has like the worst trippers this year. Back when I was a Freshman the buses were always there before the period ended and you may have two late ones to pick up people who were left behind usually one 17 and one 88. Now you might only have one bus that shows up sometimes only 17's or only 88's hell something nothing shows up at all. They arrive 15 minutes late and that cause huge disruptions on the regular lines because regular buses now have to pick up a whole bunch of school kids who should have gotten on a tripper that should of came. I wish that Casey Stengel used the LFSA's on those routes considering how big that school is and the amount of people who board. They only did that once back in 2012. Oh well that is the MTA for you. Edited by NewFlyer 230

Don't know if this was already posted plus I'm posting here rather than the Transfers thread since the following 3 buses I spotted yesterday may have been in route on delivery; Provosts 2541, 2542 and a third (number unknown) were on the LIE in Queens W/B.

Also seen 2185, possibly used for the police funeral.

as he should... what don't these people get that when the bus is away from the stop its gone! especially those who go to the door of the bus when it's at a stoplight

I thought it would be Ulmer Park.

The folks in Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights won't tolerate it. There was a huge stink made about dirty buses on the X27 and X28. In fact it was one the biggest complaints fielded by Senator Golden's office.  Some of those buses came from SI depots.  Senator Golden pushed for and got the (MTA) to allocate new express buses to Ulmer Park, which have since stayed.

October 18, 2011

Thomas Prendergast, President

New York City Transit Authority

2 Broadway

New York, New York 10004

Dear Mr. Prendergast,

I am writing to you at this time on behalf of the commuters of the X27/X37 and the X28/X38, routes that provide express bus service to Manhattan for the residents of Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bath Beach and the Bensonhurst communities.

On many occasions, I have been contacted by commuters that have complained about the conditions of the buses that service these routes. Over the years, I have also received reports that some of the buses assigned to these routes are in fact the old buses that were taken off the Staten Island routes. As far as I am concerned, new buses are long overdue for Brooklyn residents.

This morning, I was glad to hear reports that the United States Department of Transportation has approved more than $113 million in federal money to go to the Metropolitan Transit Authority for new buses. Therefore, I write to ask that in your assignment of new buses purchased with this federal funding, the X27/X37 and the X28/X38 bus routes be strongly considered.

Thank you in advance for your review and I look forward to hearing from you. If you should have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at (718) 238-6044.

Sincerely,

Martin J. Golden

State Senator

Source: http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/senator-golden-calls-mta-purchase-new-buses-brooklyn-express-bus-routes

Does Castleton Depot always get hand-me-downs when it comes to Express Fleet?

That has been the case for a while now.  They don't have that many express bus routes these days (only the X10, X14 and X21), so they don't need many buses, and two out of the three lines mentioned are rush-hour only routes.  Yukon and Charleston get the crème de la crème these days.  Additionally, there isn't really anyone pushing for new express buses for the North Shore anyway. The politicians representing the Mid Island and South Shore are the most vocal, so they get the goods delivered for their constituents.  Furthermore, the Mid Island and South Shore express bus routes are quite long and eat up miles, so they need newer buses more often.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The folks in Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights won't tolerate it. There was a huge stink made about dirty buses on the X27 and X28. In fact it was one the biggest complaints fielded by Senator Golden's office.  Some of those buses came from SI depots.  Senator Golden pushed for and got the (MTA) to allocate new express buses to Ulmer Park, which have since stayed.

Well, they're gonna have to tolerate it now with Yukon's beat up fleet heading over there.

How about this. Most of [bROOKLYN] are NOT vocal when it comes to express bus service. With exception of the restoration of the x27, x28, and in my opinion the x29 should of gotten reinstated. Although it does duplicate the (Q) line for most of the route there needs to be some part time service via Coney Island Avenue or a super express via Ocean Parkway making stops only in Coney Island going into the city and vice versa. Don't even want to get started with (MTA) BM buses in BK. [This is just only my opinion and not looking to fight with anyone in regards to express bus service].

As far as I remember with ULMER PARK [Through observation only].

They will always be the last of the crop when it comes to express bus service.

Local bus fleet is [EXCELLENT] even with the new additions of the xd40's.

Express bus fleet is another story, and honestly it should been them and not [QV] to get the last set of the MCI order that went to them and Charleston.

Well, they're gonna have to tolerate it now with Yukon's beat up fleet heading over there.

I thought they were getting part of the Prevost order to replace the older MCI's??

How about this. Most of [bROOKLYN] are NOT vocal when it comes to express bus service. With exception of the restoration of the x27, x28, and in my opinion the x29 should of gotten reinstated. Although it does duplicate the (Q) line for most of the route there needs to be some part time service via Coney Island Avenue or a super express via Ocean Parkway making stops only in Coney Island going into the city and vice versa. Don't even want to get started with (MTA) BM buses in BK. [This is just only my opinion and not looking to fight with anyone in regards to express bus service].

As far as I remember with ULMER PARK [Through observation only].

They will always be the last of the crop when it comes to express bus service.

Local bus fleet is [EXCELLENT] even with the new additions of the xd40's.

Express bus fleet is another story, and honestly it should been them and not [QV] to get the last set of the MCI order that went to them and Charleston.

That's because Brooklyn is changing dramatically.  Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights are two of the old school parts of Brooklyn.

I see more people using the QM4 on the weekend now that is a good sign. However I still think the fare should be lower on the weekend for express routes.

Oh yeah for anyone that cares the Q65 destination sign was slightly altered. Instead of saying via 164th street in small wording it now says via 164th street via Parsons Bl. This is on the Jamaica bound side.

That's crazy... Then again they only have 4 lines so they don't need that many buses.

Quite frankly, SI is of higher priority than UP, because SI has had them for a lot longer time, they've used them more, and they're beat up in some cases. Ulmer will have all Prevosts on that line on the weekend, however the same can not be said for CH, YUK, and CTN. The older MCI's at UP shouldn't be a real problem unless they break down, which hasn't happened yet (at least I think).You will see older MCI's on those SI lines, even on the weekends, and that happens every weekend (Castleton having the most out). Now with New Prevosts, that shouldn't happen as much (still does though). Can't wait til Castleton gets Prevosts on its routes other than the X21. I have seen one on the X12 last summer though.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I've been thinking when the 2400s came to New York brand new, Yukon Depot is the first to receive them. Now with the newer Prevosts with electronic run boxes are here, it's like restarting a new game (moving all of their 2400s to Ulmer Park with the newer batch)

Edited by Calvin

I've been thinking when the 2400s came to New York brand new, Yukon Depot is the first to receive them. Now with the newer Prevosts with electronic run boxes are here, it's like restarting a new game (moving all of their 2400s to Ulmer Park with the newer batch)

IIRC didn't UP have the 2400's for a short time first before moving to SI?

IIRC didn't UP have the 2400's for a short time first before moving to SI?

before I remember 2400 being at Ulmer Park (as of now at Ulmer Park) before 2450 and above were there

2490-2491 was at Ulmer Park too

Edited by Calvin