BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today I was on the Bx12 Select bus #5807 to be exact and between Fordham Plaza and Southern Blvd I get violently jerked in the accordion section. I was not holding on to a pole for a brief second but the last thing I expected certainly given the buses don't speed along Fordham was to end up needing a nearby passenger to break a fall. Lesson learned is not to check your smartphone while holding a briefcase on a crowded bus.

On another note I find riding the Bx12 is very scenic. You get to check out the hustle and bustle along Fordham Road (a lot of it being on the buses as well), look at the nice houses that line Pelham Parkway from Williamsbridge on east, and then check out the cars and trucks on I-95 for the stint that it has.

I wanna share my opinion of how a bus life goes...

0 human years: you are born and known as a toddler at this time.

1-3 Human years: You now are a child and know more or less how you operate.

4-7 Human Years: You just hit puberty and need a complete makeover. Also known as a teen at this time.

8-10 Human Years: Young adult. Needs another make over to show you are "maturing".

10-12 Human Years: Modern adult. You know more or less what your role is. You also might begin your "retirement" at this time.

13+ Human Years: You are an elder that needs to be replaced by a new offspring because you are about to die.

But who cares about a bus life? Anyone? Just me? Ok, carry on then.

When you are downtown on the express bus x19 and realize that taking the ferry and SIR plus local bus would get you back home faster.

I would still take the express bus. I can get a nap and relax.  Too many crazies and ghetto folks on the ferry.  Same deal with me... I would take the express bus any day over the (1) train to the local bus to Riverdale.  If the express bus was a mess, I would just take Metro-North to the Hudson Rail Link or walk to my place.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Am I the only one that would fall asleep every time on an Express bus?

I had that happen. I was on the X27 on my way back to Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, lost consciousness and forgot why. When I came to, I was laying on some lady's shoulder. If it weren't for the fact I was in my Army Uniform, I would've probably been slapped awake lol

2nd incident: I was on the X28 going to 86 St in Brooklyn and I fell asleep in Manhattan, woke up just in time to miss my stop and watching in terror as I passed every single local stop until we finally stopped. By the time I got back to 86 and 5th Ave, the garage there closed and my truck was there overnight. A very expensive mistake to say the least lol

Both of these incidents happened some years back

I was on the X28 going to 86 St in Brooklyn and I fell asleep in Manhattan, woke up just in time to miss my stop and watching in terror as I passed every single local stop until we finally stopped. By the time I got back to 86 and 5th Ave, the garage there closed and my truck was there overnight. A very expensive mistake to say the least lol

Sounds painful...... especially on an express route.

Honestly, if I ever take an express bus in my life, I know I would fall asleep. Did it on local routes and even the subway a few times (I put some shades on to keep attention away from me). Now, the only reason I can be comfortable doing this is because I have a Sixth sense that can detect if something important or dangerous going on and wake me up when I need it most.

I had that happen. I was on the X27 on my way back to Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, lost consciousness and forgot why. When I came to, I was laying on some lady's shoulder. If it weren't for the fact I was in my Army Uniform, I would've probably been slapped awake lol

2nd incident: I was on the X28 going to 86 St in Brooklyn and I fell asleep in Manhattan, woke up just in time to miss my stop and watching in terror as I passed every single local stop until we finally stopped. By the time I got back to 86 and 5th Ave, the garage there closed and my truck was there overnight. A very expensive mistake to say the least lol

Both of these incidents happened some years back

lol... When I first moved to Riverdale, I had to adjust my nap time.  On Staten Island I would nap for much longer periods on the express bus since you to go through Brooklyn and in some cases through the SIE for a good stretch depending on your destination, but going to Riverdale, the trip on the Deegan can be just 10 minutes, so it took me a little while to get adjusted.  Hell last night I got the 00:30 bus.  There was maybe around 10 people and when the guy turned to go onto the Deegan, I almost fell out out my chair. :lol:  I was knocked out since there was no one around me.

Sounds painful...... especially on an express route.

Honestly, if I ever take an express bus in my life, I know I would fall asleep. Did it on local routes and even the subway a few times (I put some shades on to keep attention away from me). Now, the only reason I can be comfortable doing this is because I have a Sixth sense that can detect if something important or dangerous going on and wake me up when I need it most.

I would NEVER fall asleep on a subway or local bus. The express bus is different, and even then I always sit in an aisle seat to ensure that my belongings are protected, and if anyone is sitting across from me I keep an eye on them.  Sometimes if I see a sketchy looking person that clearly is not a regular I cannot go to sleep. Here and there you may get someone on the Riverdale express bus that gets off at Broadway & 230th and they clearly look like some thug type, but with the fare going up there's hardly anyone getting off there these days and when they are it's usually sloppy females, old folks or cute little sexy petite Latinas. :D  The big sloppy black women... They shake the bus so much that I know when we've reached the stop so I don't worry about them because they wouldn't make it far seeing how much time it takes for them to get off in the first place.

lol... When I first moved to Riverdale, I had to adjust my nap time.  On Staten Island I would nap for much longer periods on the express bus since you to go through Brooklyn and in some cases through the SIE for a good stretch depending on your destination, but going to Riverdale, the trip on the Deegan can be just 10 minutes, so it took me a little while to get adjusted.  Hell last night I got the 00:30 bus.  There was maybe around 10 people and when the guy turned to go onto the Deegan, I almost fell out out my chair. :lol:  I was knocked out since there was no one around me.

I would NEVER fall asleep on a subway or local bus. The express bus is different, and even then I always sit in an aisle seat to ensure that my belongings are protected, and if anyone is sitting across from me I keep an eye on them.  Sometimes if I see a sketchy looking person that clearly is not a regular I cannot go to sleep. Here and there you may get someone on the Riverdale express bus that gets off at Broadway & 230th and they clearly look like some thug type, but with the fare going up there's hardly anyone getting off there these days and when they are it's usually sloppy females, old folks or cute little sexy petite Latinas. :D  The big sloppy black women... They shake the bus so much that I know when we've reached the stop so I don't worry about them because they wouldn't make it far seeing how much time it takes for them to get off in the first place.

Sometimes your stereotypes of ppl and places in nyc can be a bit imature.... The big sloppy black women... They shake the bus so much...Really

Sometimes your stereotypes of ppl and places in nyc can be a bit imature.... The big sloppy black women... They shake the bus so much...Really

It's not immature.  It's the truth.  I didn't say all. I was talking about specific overweight women and yes they shake the entire bus trying to go sideways to get off because they're so overweight. :lol: Sometimes I wonder what those women would do if there were no express buses because they sure as hell would have a tough time on the subway with the stairs. They obviously don't get enough exercise to begin with to get that big that they shake the whole bus.  I'm 6'4" and 210 and I don't shake the bus like that.

It's not immature.  It's the truth.  I didn't say all. I was talking about specific overweight women and yes they shake the entire bus trying to go sideways to get off because they're so overweight. :lol: Sometimes I wonder what those women would do if there were no express buses because they sure as hell would have a tough time on the subway with the stairs. They obviously don't get enough exercise to begin with to get that big that they shake the whole bus.  I'm 6'4" and 210 and I don't shake the bus like that.

Lmao....You sometime else VG8

Did you get her number? :D

Am I the only one that would fall asleep every time on an Express bus?

I do it nearly every time, the long distances on the x21/x22/x23/x24 and x19 make napping ideal. Yesterday on the x19, the second we entered the BBT I was out until the first stop (Victory Blvd). I've also been known to sleep on the s79 SBS and s74.

NYC really has to finish up the work on Broadway outside of the Fulton Center. Plus BAN anything that is not a NYC Transit Bus, private bus carrier providing regular commuter service, taxi/limo on Broadway south of Chambers between 4-7.

I would still take the express bus. I can get a nap and relax.  Too many crazies and ghetto folks on the ferry.  Same deal with me... I would take the express bus any day over the (1) train to the local bus to Riverdale.  If the express bus was a mess, I would just take Metro-North to the Hudson Rail Link or walk to my place.

Yeah, I had a nice nap once we descended into the BBT until Victory Blvd. Having a bag of groceries from WFM (they had organic apricots for sale! :) ) , I decided to take the bus.

Edited by 161passenger

Yeah, I had a nice nap once we descended into the BBT until Victory Blvd. Having a bag of groceries from WFM (they had organic apricots for sale! :) ) , I decided to take the bus.

lol.... You're into the organic scene too... Used to take trips on the express bus during snow storms just to get my organic produce... :lol:  Would check BusTime and hope that an X1 or X10 was coming and then get car service from there.

lol.... You're into the organic scene too... Used to take trips on the express bus during snow storms just to get my organic produce... :lol:  Would check BusTime and hope that an X1 or X10 was coming and then get car service from there.

Yeah, surprisingly Key Food by my place is stepping up their organic offerings, but otherwise on Staten Island except for things other than apples, bananas, salad lettuces etc., - there is nothing OR I have to go all over the place. Things like coffee, red onions, peppers, apricots, I can get at WFM - TriBeCa is the only sane store I can tolerate. I have to buy organic garlic either at a small grocer on 13/8th or the one at 8th/54th (good selection of items there), perhaps I should ask at WFM if their garlic is indeed organic ^_^ . I have to mind the cold/frozen items during warm weather -  that x17 ride on the weekends could get quite long.

Edited by 161passenger

What do you expect from someone who trashes everyone and everything that's not of his taste.

Yeah, surprisingly Key Food by my place is stepping up their organic offerings, but otherwise on Staten Island except for things other than apples, bananas, salad lettuces etc., - there is nothing OR I have to go all over the place. Things like coffee, red onions, peppers, apricots, I can get at WFM - TriBeCa is the only sane store I can tolerate. I have to buy organic garlic either at a small grocer on 13/8th or the one at 8th/54th (good selection of items there), perhaps I should ask at WFM if their garlic is indeed organic ^_^ . I have to mind the cold/frozen items during warm weather -  that x17 ride on the weekends could get quite long.

You should try ShopRite. I occasionally go to the one in New Dorp on Hylan via the X1 really late at night now that they have the X1 running 24/7 and it's nice and quiet and you can shop in peace.  I also used to shop at the one on Richmond Avenue near Forest... I can't speak for their produce per se, but they do carry some organic items at reasonable prices (Organic Valley milk on sale on occasion, deals on Cascadian Farm cereals, snacks, etc.), but the last time I went there for organic cereal, the prices seemed to have inched up ever so slightly, and their organic offerings weren't as extensive as it usually is, but they do have sales here and there. 

As for Key Food it's really overpriced.  There was one by me on Forest near Bard Avenue that was nice, but I rarely went to it.  For fruit, I usually stick to select Whole Foods' locations that I know has good quality organic produce, and even then I inspect the fruit thoroughly.  I like to get organic blueberries, and some Whole Foods locations have terrible produce, especially when you factor in the price.  I considered getting organic produce at Target (I use the QM2 express bus to shop at the one in Whitestone in Queens since it's easy to connect to the Riverdale express buses) but most of their organic produce is from Mexico, which does not sit well with me, as I don't trust their organic practices.  I prefer "Made in USA" organic produce and like to buy locally (i.e. organic apples from a nearby organic farm in upstate NY). During the winter I go to Whole Foods and get blueberries from Chile or Argentina, as they are both known for having excellent organic blueberries.

I've heard REALLY good things about the TriBeCa location.  I keep saying that one day I'm going to take the BxM18 down there from Riverdale and do some shopping but I'm not Downtown enough as much as I used to be when I lived on Staten Island, but that may change.