BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Parts of the BxM6, 9, 10 and 11 still has the old signs. Hell, there's a part of the BxM6 that still has the old New York Bus Service signs!(I still wonder if they're up). Parts of the BM1-BM4 and B100-B103 still has the old signs, it's not just a Queens thing, it's primarily an MTA Bus situation. Pretty much all of the New York City Bus routes has the new signs, but MTA Bus lingers in that aspect, and that's a DOT problem.

I don't see any BxM10 stops with the old signs save that first stop at Boston & Eastchester Rd, but they actually did change that sign, but had it at the wrong stop, and they've since removed it, but didn't address the old sign at the correct stop. lol  I can't think of any old signs on the BM1, BM3 or BM4.  I use all three of them to their terminals or close to their terminals, with the exception of the BM1, but I haven't seen any old BM4 signs in Gerritsen Beach.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone tell me why there was a QBX1 bus stop sign on the ground at Eastchester Rd / Pelham Pkwy South? I check google earth to see if its been laying there but I get nothing. I remember seeing this sign at Pelham Bay about 6 years ago. Note the photo was taken on 5/22/15

8c1c775e-c10a-49a7-bc76-6b61074924ad_zps

That sign looks like the old ones they used to have in the early 2000's. I remember some of those signs used to have the destination on them but they were usually on routes who entered another borough. It seems like people are randomly putting those signs there especially if it came out of nowhere. You should take it and own a piece of history if you don't mind dragging a large piece of metal home.

That sign looks like the old ones they used to have in the early 2000's. I remember some of those signs used to have the destination on them but they were usually on routes who entered another borough. It seems like people are randomly putting those signs there especially if it came out of nowhere. You should take it and own a piece of history if you don't mind dragging a large piece of metal home.

Wouldn't that be larceny by finding?

Q28 bus service in the weekend PM is awful.

Last week, I waited 40 minutes for a bus to come - the line stretching all the way past the Q13. The bus I was on was packed like sardines, and the next bus ended up passing us with 5 people on it.

This week, as I walk to the stop I see a line longer than the one last week, and when the bus finally comes another Q13 does. Unsurprisingly, at the same time, the next Q28 comes and bypasses the stop because of the Q13, and as we all pack onto the bus I come to find out that the driver is the slowest I've ever ridden on. I don't think he exceeded 20mph the whole ride. This elderly woman was complaining about how she waited 35 minutes for the bus, then how the driver drives SOOOOOOOOOOO slow. 

My dad, who works at Flushing, comes back every Saturday & Sunday with a story about how waiting for the bus is always taking forever, and how service is so poor.

Like, what is happening? There is always a 40 minute wait for the next bus and then two come at the same time, one packed like sardines, the other one empty...

Q28 bus service in the weekend PM is awful.

Last week, I waited 40 minutes for a bus to come - the line stretching all the way past the Q13. The bus I was on was packed like sardines, and the next bus ended up passing us with 5 people on it.

This week, as I walk to the stop I see a line longer than the one last week, and when the bus finally comes another Q13 does. Unsurprisingly, at the same time, the next Q28 comes and bypasses the stop because of the Q13, and as we all pack onto the bus I come to find out that the driver is the slowest I've ever ridden on. I don't think he exceeded 20mph the whole ride. This elderly woman was complaining about how she waited 35 minutes for the bus, then how the driver drives SOOOOOOOOOOO slow. 

My dad, who works at Flushing, comes back every Saturday & Sunday with a story about how waiting for the bus is always taking forever, and how service is so poor.

Like, what is happening? There is always a 40 minute wait for the next bus and then two come at the same time, one packed like sardines, the other one empty...

I find the Q28 unreliable all times of the day, regardless what day it is. I've used it several times in the morning and afternoon (primarily weekdays), service always late. The lines at Flushing are long as hell too. Northern Blvd I guess is to blame.

I find the Q28 unreliable all times of the day, regardless what day it is. I've used it several times in the morning and afternoon (primarily weekdays), service always late. The lines at Flushing are long as hell too. Northern Blvd I guess is to blame.

I mean, Q13 service is much more frequent than the Q28 and the Q13 line today had 10 people, while the Q28 was a mess.. I think the MTA should so something about Q28 service, it is absolutely horrible. 

I saw another 40 footer on the Bx12 today. This one was signed up as going to Orchard Beach...

Well that's the summer on the Bx12. They run a lot of buses to Orchard Beach and not all of them can be artics.

Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend are Orchard beach trips...Kingsbridge supplements these trips by going from the beach to Sedgwick Av as locals, and as SBS trips if needed.

Edited by Fresh Pond

It's by design.... read below....

I mean, Q13 service is much more frequent than the Q28 and the Q13 line today had 10 people, while the Q28 was a mess.. I think the MTA should so something about Q28 service, it is absolutely horrible. 

I don't like the situation going on with the 13 & the 28 either....

I believe that the 28 should have more service than the 13 (as usage on the 28 is more consistent, being that it's more straight-forward from NE Queens to Flushing) - But what's going on is that Q28 riders are getting shafted because the MTA has the setup of 13's assisting 12's along Northern... We both know Northern is the big draw (so to speak) up there, and the MTA is not going to run more buses on the 12 & the 28 to provide less service on the 13....

Quite sure politics has to do with it also; Bayside has clout....

Edited by B35 via Church

I would assume that the bus had to turn around early to keep it's schedule or it broke down. I highly doubt the bus was signed up to terminate there. What time of day was this?

It was signed up as going to Sedgwick Avenue. I asked him if it was SBS because, like you, I thought the signage was a mistake, but when I got off at Sedgwick, he said I had to take the next bus. It was mid-afternoon.

Delays  Posted: 05/26/2015  8:48PM 

Following an earlier incident on Grand AvQ8 bus service has resumed with residual delays. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really wish they can proofread stuff beforehand. This can be taken either way, as the 5 is messing or there's a D instead of a T (and I'm pretty sure it's the latter). 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Why the hell would it get scrapped? It's still fairly young for a bus and it's not even that badly damaged.

The framing on low floor buses are much harder to fix. That is why most low floor buses out of service longer when they get into accidents. Oh yeah there is also no need to get upset because you would not like it if someone did that to you

Whay is going on on the LIE? Theres 2 BM5's on it right now, and there are two QM15's within close proximity of each other. This is also ocurring on the QM2,4,5 and 6.

(From what it looks like, seems that the 10:00 AM QM15 is cancelled, as well was the 8:49 AM)

Seriously debating whether to take the bus in now....

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven