BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I wish I had took the picture today. I was on the Q113 LTD and along Guy R. Brewer, I am not sure if they had it for awhile but I saw new sign stickers on the "night time only" bus stops for the Q114 LTD. Normally you would see the current purple sign in the middle and both top and bottom thin black label "night time only". For some people, it looks confusing for them because if they approach to the bus stop, the only thing they will look for is a purple sign that says "Q114 LTD", however, at the bottom, the word says "night time only" and the words are small and not that many people will pay attention to that.  Now, its all in black stickers(showing that it will stop at night).

Definitely not true.

Yep. Depends on the weather. Some B/O's will leave the blowers off and just have the air on the side blowing, or the the HVAC is broken. How is the heating and cooling set up on express buses anyway? I asked this question a while ago, and I believe I was told that they either have hot air or cold air but not both which makes no sense to me.  In other words they can't just automatically switch back and forth between the two as needed.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

It seems to have happened overnight but the Prevost buses are now showing up on Castleton express routes. Seen some on the X10 and X14.

They have some 2400s for driver training for the new ones.

Edited by MTA Bus

It seems to have happened overnight but the Prevost buses are now showing up on Castleton express routes. Seen some on the X10 and X14.

lol... It's not as if it's that hard to move buses.  When I lived on Staten Island, if I took the X14 and got off by Martling, you would see Ulmer Park express buses heading over to Castleton Depot.  I can't wait until those old buses with the green signage go.

For some people, they keep on flagging down the Q114 LTD at the "night only service" and the only thing they will look for when they approach the bus stop is a purple sign that says "Q114 LTD", however, at the bottom, the word says "night only service" and the words are small and not that many people will pay attention to that. So the (MTA) change the signs. Now, the signs are all in black(better understanding that it will only stop at night).

Old Sign

Q114%20LTD%20Night%20Time%20Only%203_zps

New Sign

Q114%20LTD%20Night%20Time%20Only_zpswcexQ114%20LTD%20Night%20Only%202_zpswjg9tjh

For some people, they keep on flagging down the Q114 LTD at the "night only service" and the only thing they will look for when they approach the bus stop is a purple sign that says "Q114 LTD", however, at the bottom, the word says "night only service" and the words are small and not that many people will pay attention to that. So the (MTA) change the signs. Now, the signs are all in black(better understanding that it will only stop at night).

Old Sign

Q114%20LTD%20Night%20Time%20Only%203_zps

New Sign

Q114%20LTD%20Night%20Only%202_zpswjg9tjh

The New Signs make much better sense, since Q114 service isn't even LTD at night in order to have that signage (with the old stops).

Can they just replace all those damn sign? Why the heck is it taking them so long? Brooklyn and the Bronx had all those signs changed years ago what about Queens.

They aren't replaced everywhere. Some (MTA) Bus lines still have them.  In Riverdale, there is a stop by me that still has them (Henry Hudson Parkway West and West 246th street).  One was changed however at Tibbett and West 230th for the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18.  I imagine someone must've complained, hence why it was changed. 

Can they just replace all those damn sign? Why the heck is it taking them so long? Brooklyn and the Bronx had all those signs changed years ago what about Queens.

Simple, it's not a priority. The only reason they'd change them is if a stop is being moved or whatnot.

Speak to the DOT, they're the ones that does the changing anyway.

Simple, it's not a priority. The only reason they'd change them is if a stop is being moved or whatnot.

I don't see how they can't be a priority. The city moved to get rid of all of those signs in the first place because of the amount of theft going on.  Back in the day, thieves were stealing them left and right and selling them for scrap metal.  I'm sure that's one of the reasons why the poles are much higher.

Where I am at people are always asking people at the bus stop does this bus go to College Point, Whitestone or Jamaica(Q25/Q34). They must have been a priority in Brooklyn and the Bronx. I thought the MTA was all about keep things the same all across. They should be the ones to tell the DOT to change them. When the Q41 was changed from 111th street to 109th a bunch of old signs were put up. Same for the Q52 in Rockaway. But whatever they will probably replace them in a few years.

Where I am at people are always asking people at the bus stop does this bus go to College Point, Whitestone or Jamaica(Q25/Q34). They must have been a priority in Brooklyn and the Bronx. I thought the MTA was all about keep things the same all across. They should be the ones to tell the DOT to change them. When the Q41 was changed from 111th street to 109th a bunch of old signs were put up. Same for the Q52 in Rockaway. But whatever they will probably replace them in a few years.

That's the thing, it's not about the MTA, it's the DOT. The MTA Bus signs are the ones we're talking about here and the DOT is responsible for that. Brooklyn doesn't have much, same for The Bronx. There are still a bunch of old signs for express buses up in The Bronx and some parts of Brooklyn, same for the B100 and B103.

I don't see how they can't be a priority. The city moved to get rid of all of those signs in the first place because of the amount of theft going on.  Back in the day, thieves were stealing them left and right and selling them for scrap metal.  I'm sure that's one of the reasons why the poles are much higher.

If it was a priority, we'd have all new signs by now. They moved to get them changed years ago, so what does that tell you?

Edited by Cait Sith

That's the thing, it's not about the MTA, it's the DOT. The MTA Bus signs are the ones we're talking about here and the DOT is responsible for that. Brooklyn doesn't have much, same for The Bronx. There are still a bunch of old signs for express buses up in The Bronx and some parts of Brooklyn, same for the B100 and B103.

If it was a priority, we'd have all new signs by now. They moved to get them changed years ago, so what does that tell you?

It tells me that you guys in Queens don't complain enough so that they don't do anything.  Here in Riverdale, we write in a lot about bus schedules and bus stops being updated, and they take care of it.  We now have the Bx10/Bx20 and BxM1/BxM2 split schedules precisely because so many people complained about some stops not having all of the schedules, which is tough to do with the stops being served by the Hudson Rail Link and the BxM18 in addition to the other lines I mentioned, but all schedules are now at the stops that I use, and we also make sure that the signage is changed when it is worn out via complaints on the (MTA) website.  I have to say that community involvement here is extremely high, which encourages others to do the same.  When I compare it to Staten Island, it's a 180 completely.

Speaking of signs, one of our elected officials has allocated funds for countdown clocks, but didn't include Riverdale, so I immediately wrote in and made suggestions.  His office responded by saying that it would look to allocate more funds to put countdown clocks at locations that I suggested, such as Kappock St and Knolls Crescent, Riverdale Avenue and West 236th street, and Henry Hudson Parkway West and West 239th street. There will be one down in Kingsbridge at 231st and Broadway in the near future.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

It tells me that you guys in Queens don't complain enough so that they don't do anything.  Here in Riverdale, we write in a lot about bus schedules and bus stops being updated, and they take care of it.  We now have the Bx10/Bx20 and BxM1/BxM2 split schedules precisely because so many people complained about some stops not having all of the schedules, which is tough to do with the stops being served by the Hudson Rail Link and the BxM18 in addition to the other lines I mentioned, but all schedules are now at the stops that I use, and we also make sure that the signage is changed when it is worn out via complaints on the (MTA) website.  I have to say that community involvement here is extremely high, which encourages others to do the same.  When I compare it to Staten Island, it's a 180 completely.

Parts of the BxM6, 9, 10 and 11 still has the old signs. Hell, there's a part of the BxM6 that still has the old New York Bus Service signs!(I still wonder if they're up). Parts of the BM1-BM4 and B100-B103 still has the old signs, it's not just a Queens thing, it's primarily an MTA Bus situation. Pretty much all of the New York City Bus routes has the new signs, but MTA Bus lingers in that aspect, and that's a DOT problem.

Edited by Cait Sith

Parts of the BxM6, 9, 10 and 11 still has the old signs. Hell, there's a part of the BxM6 that still has the old New York Bus Service signs!(I still wonder if they're up). Parts of the BM1-BM4 and B100-B103 still has the old signs, it's not just a Queens thing, it's primarily an MTA Bus situation. Pretty much all of the New York City Bus routes has the new signs, but MTA Bus lingers in that aspect, and that's a DOT problem.

I been on google maps and checked that pretty much all the B100 and B103 have the new signage. For the most part the express buses have almost of the new signage. The Bx23/Q50 have all new signage. Exception once again is a few express stops.

I didn't look this all up today but I've search places up in the past and seen that they had changed them. They have changed some in Queens usually at the first stops of some routes of course in locations near the subway.

Can someone tell me why there was a QBX1 bus stop sign on the ground at Eastchester Rd / Pelham Pkwy South? I check google earth to see if its been laying there but I get nothing. I remember seeing this sign at Pelham Bay about 6 years ago. Note the photo was taken on 5/22/15

8c1c775e-c10a-49a7-bc76-6b61074924ad_zps