BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Sounds like Q44 artics are breaking down today. When I went for the Q44 SBS, I heard one broke down on the bridge and a few other areas. All the downtown Q44 stops are not looking well in the Bx, and 3 buses are bunched up, the first going to flushing.

I actually fibbed a bit about these buses going to Jamaica. It was decided that EVERY bus has to end at Flushing. The flushing residents are really getting upset now.

Quick edit: after like 5 buses desided to end at Flushing, there comes the one bus that desides to grow the balls and go to Jamaica. Smh for the shitty service today.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda interested to see what the MTA/Goodyear all-season tire testing brings about.  From the writeup, got the idea Goodyear was developing a specific tire for the MTA's test that has mileage/cost near to the ones currently used.  Could be a lock-up for the transit (and similar) market for Goodyear if it works out, with cold-climate TAs going with them as a supplier.

Kinda interested to see what the MTA/Goodyear all-season tire testing brings about. From the writeup, got the idea Goodyear was developing a specific tire for the MTA's test that has mileage/cost near to the ones currently used. Could be a lock-up for the transit (and similar) market for Goodyear if it works out, with cold-climate TAs going with them as a supplier.

It's not a test anymore. All buses, excluding the orion V's, have or are scheduled to have all season tires. I find that it was a waste of money because they still put chains on them.

It's not a test anymore. All buses, excluding the orion V's, have or are scheduled to have all season tires. I find that it was a waste of money because they still put chains on them.

OK, so Goodyear just came back and negotiated a price?  In the explanation, MTA was wanting a comparably-priced all-season with similar mileage to the current supply, and sorta balked at those differentials from Goodyear's product lines.  Goodyear made it sound like they were going to develop something to cater to MTA's requests, and then test it out to see if they could get a product that met those standards.

And you've gotta cut a bit of slack for still using chains in the accumulations seen with this storm.  There are plenty of SUVs and 4X4s that have "all-season" tires that couldn't cut through that type of snow, and you expect a bus to do the same?  Even in the Rockies, you can have all-seasons and still be mandated, at times, to have chains due to conditions.  The alternative would have been buses getting stuck and service halted even earlier.  Any time 1" or more per hour comes down, street plows can't keep up, and then add in wind factors -- those chains would help.  Not the cure-all, but at least better than nothing.

LGA Orion VII 3602 is on the Q34. I thought service was reduced today I didn't think CP would need to be loaned any buses.

Thats all i see by our CNG tanks ,Is a row of loaners(Bastads won't give any XD or RTS s but they seem to be roaming with us for awhile now .

Also the Q25 still doesn't have any College point 5 ave service ...still ends at 14ave due to snow .

Thats all i see by our CNG tanks ,Is a row of loaners(Bastads won't give any XD or RTS s but they seem to be roaming with us for awhile now .

Also the Q25 still doesn't have any College point 5 ave service ...still ends at 14ave due to snow .

I wonder what will happen when artics hit that route. My best guess is that buses will continue up 130th to 20th Ave make a left on 20th and perhaps onto 127th. It's so narrow up there that artics seems like wouldn't work out unless the 25 has short turns in flushing which would replace all Q34 service south of Flushing.

Why is so much of the afternoon Bx12 SBS service short-turning at Pelham Bay heading east? You also have these shuttles running between Bay Plaza and Pelham Bay which are of little usefulness but end up crowded anyway.  When will things head back to normal there? 

lol... Please... Your best bet is to take trains where possible.  I haven't touched the express bus all week, except for yesterday when I was concerned that I missed the Hudson Rail Link shuttle bus to Metro-North, and jumped on a BxM2 and got off a few stops later. The B/O knew I was a regular so he didn't say anything, as I dipped my express bus pass, so I paid either way.  I took the Bx20 this morning down to Independence Avenue and walked to the Metro-North station from there and saw a B/O guy from Yonkers Depot that I know who got on with me.  He was in Riverdale for a dentist's appointment.  He said yesterday it took him FOUR hours yesterday to do an express bus trip to Midtown and back to Riverdale.  I imagine that it was the BxM1 or BxM2, as I rarely get him on the BxM18.   

Why is so much of the afternoon Bx12 SBS service short-turning at Pelham Bay heading east? You also have these shuttles running between Bay Plaza and Pelham Bay which are of little usefulness but end up crowded anyway. When will things head back to normal there?

I'm sending them an email right now...

Why is so much of the afternoon Bx12 SBS service short-turning at Pelham Bay heading east? You also have these shuttles running between Bay Plaza and Pelham Bay which are of little usefulness but end up crowded anyway.  When will things head back to normal there? 

It's been a complete mess after the snowstorm. Demand must've risen pretty high after the storm for service to short turn and to meet with said demand. It was almost the same here with the Q43, with a good bunch of buses short turning at 179th Street Station because the demand for buses to Floral Park was pretty big to where lines extended around the corners of blocks.

Edited by Cait Sith

It's been a complete mess after the snowstorm. Demand must've risen pretty high after the storm for service to short turn and to meet with said demand. It was almost the same here with the Q43, with a good bunch of buses short turning at 179th Street Station because the demand for buses to Floral Park was pretty big to where lines extended around the corners of blocks.

Yes I experienced that and was upset Waited a whole hour for the Q43 and it was two buses bunched together. Now I know why service was so crappy.

Complaining about crappy service again... What a surprise...

I mean, after the major snowstorm we had, of course there's gonna be shitty service with most of the bus lines. Q43, Q44, and Bx12 were ones I noticed/heard of in the last week that did not operate well. The only thing that probably was running on or close to normal schedule, in terms of the normal rush hour hell we all should be experiencing anyways, was the subway, and even so, a shutdown in the rockaways made the (A) suffer a bit. Edited by MysteriousBtrain

I mean, after the major snowstorm we had, of course there's gonna be shitty service with most of the bus lines. Q43, Q44, and Bx12 were ones I noticed/heard of in the last week that did not operate well. The only thing that probably was running on or close to normal schedule, in terms of the normal rush hour hell we all should be experiencing anyways, was the subway, and even so, a shutdown in the rockaways made the (A) suffer a bit.

Exactly... I would imagine that by next week or so things will be a bit better.  

Exactly... I would imagine that by next week or so things will be a bit better.

Most of the snow is almost melted, so by Monday most service should be back to normal. The main problem now is some mini hills and puddles you have to avoid or get around. With the way the snow melted, it should all be gone by the second week of February.

Most of the snow is almost melted, so by Monday most service should be back to normal. The main problem now is some mini hills and puddles you have to avoid or get around. With the way the snow melted, it should all be gone by the second week of February.

Well the Bx6 seemed to be running normally last night, and all of the buses that I saw were packed.  I took Metro-North into the South Bronx and as I was walking to my session, I spotted two Bx6's going toward Manhattan, both packed, and then a third one came a minute or so after that was semi-crowded.  I would love to see them experiment with artics, even if only during the rush.