BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I haven't seen entire filthy buses, as the seats are clean.  The only thing that isn't clean on many of them are the floors.  In other words, I was talking about general use.  If the floor never sees a broom or a mop, then naturally they'll be dirty no matter how clean the passengers are.

That's assuming passengers are clean lol

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest with you, I think Staten Island has the biggest problem in terms of passengers loitering on the express buses.  CP's express buses seem fairly good in that regard. 

trueeeeeeeee how much gum you see on those buses especially the old MCI buses 

trueeeeeeeee how much gum you see on those buses especially the old MCI buses 

Not too many MCI's now on Staten Island so this is more of an issue on the "older" Prevosts.  For some reason, the folks on Staten Island love putting old Metrocards and gum into the HVAC vents.  It must be teenagers doing it because they tend to ride the express buses there more than any other place in the city.  It seems to be more noticeable on buses out of Yukon Depot too, particularly the X1 for obvious reasons (lots of teenagers that go out in packs of 10 and can be loud and rowdy).  Another thing I don't miss about living on Staten Island and taking the express bus on weekends...

Does anyone know where it say I can film on MTA property

Section 1050.9 (C) says as follows:

"Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part."

The link in case anyone wants it: http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

Section 1050.9 (C) says as follows:

"Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part."

The link in case anyone wants it: http://web.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

Not too many MCI's now on Staten Island so this is more of an issue on the "older" Prevosts.  For some reason, the folks on Staten Island love putting old Metrocards and gum into the HVAC vents.  It must be teenagers doing it because they tend to ride the express buses there more than any other place in the city.  It seems to be more noticeable on buses out of Yukon Depot too, particularly the X1 for obvious reasons (lots of teenagers that go out in packs of 10 and can be loud and rowdy).  Another thing I don't miss about living on Staten Island and taking the express bus on weekends...

I used to like the x1..... Over the years, I've now grown to hate the x1.....

I seem to currently still like the X1 but I do also notice that the X10 has considerably less people 

Well that's because, the X10 has considerably less ridership than the X1, almost half of the ridership of the X1 (not counting the Hylan Blvd variants). The X17 seems to be much closer to the X1 in terms of ridership, but even then it's less by about 400-500 riders.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Pardon me if this has been asked before, but when LGA gets all of their XD60s, is it gonna be West Farms or Gun Hill who gets them? I'm kinda hoping it'll be West Farms so they can be used on the Bx15 and Bx36 where IMO they're needed the most.

No XD60s. WF wants to be 100% CNG soon. However, there is a GREAT POSSIBILITY that there will be XN60s at the depot.

GH maybe, but has more of a chance of seeing LFSA there.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

No XD60s. WF wants to be 100% CNG soon. However, there is a GREAT POSSIBILITY that there will be XN60s at the depot.

GH maybe, but has more of a chance of seeing LFSA there.

Oops, I meant to type "is WF or GH gonna get the D60HFs from LGA". Just noticed that.

But either way, that's interesting. I still don't understand why the Bx36 isn't at least a 75% artic route knowing how crowded it gets. 

Oops, I meant to type "is WF or GH gonna get the D60HFs from LGA". Just noticed that.

But either way, that's interesting. I still don't understand why the Bx36 isn't at least a 75% artic route knowing how crowded it gets.

There are no D60s at LGA. Unless you meant JFK.......

Either way, they will be spread out to retire the 1999s, with a few likely staying at JFK if there were to be an expansion for MTA bus routes.

There are no D60s at LGA. Unless you meant JFK.......

Either way, they will be spread out to retire the 1999s, with a few likely staying at JFK if there were to be an expansion for MTA bus routes.

Thank you for catching that. I seem to be getting these two airports mixed up lately, I don't know why....

Are the Orion V's still running on the M100? I haven't seen it on that route in weeks. 

Just like KB's D60s and XD60s, they're seldom running on the M100. 

Well that's because, the X10 has considerably less ridership than the X1, almost half of the ridership of the X1 (not counting the Hylan Blvd variants). The X17 seems to be much closer to the X1 in terms of ridership, but even then it's less by about 400-500 riders.

I seem to currently still like the X1 but I do also notice that the X10 has considerably less people 

Ditto, it still boggles my mind as to why Manhattan Bound buses shows up late at Eltingville after 7PM.....the x10 has been my  go-to bus lately.

I used to like the x1..... Over the years, I've now grown to hate the x1.....

There's been a pattern going on with the X1 that started years ago when I lived on Staten Island.  Slowly by surely, more and more people have been taking the X1 over the X10 that have the option for both, and a lot it has to do with the X1 having better headways than the X10.  For years, the X10 was a mess on weekends, even when they increased service levels.  You would have a bus every 20 minutes, but they would bunch so terribly that you would still wait about 40 minutes, so there was really no advantage.  What a lot of people are doing now (even those who may live near the X10) is drive to the X1.  I myself used to get car service over to Hylan or Steuben for the X1 and now that the X1 has 24 hour service, forget it.  The X10 is being ditched for the X1.  It's more frequent and runs 24 hours so those people by Fingerboard simply take that and adjust their schedule.  The (MTA) has been really improving service on the South Shore express buses while doing very little to improve the North Shore routes, and the X10 is an example of that. It's going to force them to either improve the X10 or add much more service to the X1 over time, which I'm sure they don't want to do.  I notice that they finally added a later X10 on Saturday nights after God knows how many years of having the last bus be 23:45...  They may even decide to beef up the X17 before the do anything with the X17.  They really need to see that the ridership growth on these lines isn't just from the Mid-Island and South Shore and that their neglect of the North Shore is just pushing those people to the South Shore and Mid-Island routes.  It's not like it takes that long to get to those routes by car.  Just about all of Staten Island is reachable in about 15 minutes.

There's been a pattern going on with the X1 that started years ago when I lived on Staten Island.  Slowly by surely, more and more people have been taking the X1 over the X10 that have the option for both, and a lot it has to do with the X1 having better headways than the X10.  For years, the X10 was a mess on weekends, even when they increased service levels.  You would have a bus every 20 minutes, but they would bunch so terribly that you would still wait about 40 minutes, so there was really no advantage.  What a lot of people are doing now (even those who may live near the X10) is drive to the X1.  I myself used to get car service over to Hylan or Steuben for the X1 and now that the X1 has 24 hour service, forget it.  The X10 is being ditched for the X1.  It's more frequent and runs 24 hours so those people by Fingerboard simply take that and adjust their schedule.  The (MTA) has been really improving service on the South Shore express buses while doing very little to improve the North Shore routes, and the X10 is an example of that. It's going to force them to either improve the X10 or add much more service to the X1 over time, which I'm sure they don't want to do.  I notice that they finally added a later X10 on Saturday nights after God knows how many years of having the last bus be 23:45...  They may even decide to beef up the X17 before the do anything with the X17.  They really need to see that the ridership growth on these lines isn't just from the Mid-Island and South Shore and that their neglect of the North Shore is just pushing those people to the South Shore and Mid-Island routes.  It's not like it takes that long to get to those routes by car.  Just about all of Staten Island is reachable in about 15 minutes.

Not only the X1, but I feel that some are also flocking to the X17, since it's much faster on its way to/from Manhattan, and its headways are comparable to the X10. The only thing is, the X17 doesn't run as late as the X10.  Perhaps the X17 could become the next 24-hour line, if they manage to increase service & ridership by a lot more (those night buses would run via Gannon Avenue, but run express after Slosson), since they happen to not be increasing X10 service by much. I'm just saying it as a possibility, not as something that will happen.

Off-topic, but out of all the SI Express buses, I like the X17 the most. It doesn't feel as slow as the X1 on Staten Island. The X10 I'm really indifferent, but out of the big three, that's the one I have fanned the least.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Not only the X1, but I feel that some are also flocking to the X17, since it's much faster on its way to/from Manhattan, and its headways are comparable to the X10. The only thing is, the X17 doesn't run as late as the X10.  Perhaps the X17 could become the next 24-hour line, if they manage to increase service & ridership by a lot more (those night buses would run via Gannon Avenue, but run express after Slosson), since they happen to not be increasing X10 service by much. I'm just saying it as a possibility, not as something that will happen.

Off-topic, but out of all the SI Express buses, I like the X17 the most. It doesn't feel as slow as the X1 on Staten Island. The X10 I'm really indifferent, but out of the big three, that's the one I have fanned the least.

You don't have to "feel" because that too is also happening, particularly those that live near or along Richmond Avenue where the X10 runs.  It's a much faster trip for them on the X17 since it runs via the SIE, where as the X10 can become bogged down by riders along Gannon.  The folks taking the X1 are comes from various areas.  Those who come up from Tottenville or drive to the Transit Center, those on the North Shore that drive to areas near Fingerboard and those who have the option of the X10 or X1 are simply taking the X1 because it runs later and is more frequent on weekends.  If the (MTA) is smart they'll start adding more service on the X10, otherwise the headways on the X1 will be such that they'll be running almost every 10 minutes, which isn't that far off.

You don't have to "feel" because that too is also happening, particularly those that live near or along Richmond Avenue where the X10 runs.  It's a much faster trip for them on the X17 since it runs via the SIE, where as the X10 can become bogged down by riders along Gannon.  The folks taking the X1 are comes from various areas.  Those who come up from Tottenville or drive to the Transit Center, those on the North Shore that drive to areas near Fingerboard and those who have the option of the X10 or X1 are simply taking the X1 because it runs later and is more frequent on weekends.  If the (MTA) is smart they'll start adding more service on the X10, otherwise the headways on the X1 will be such that they'll be running almost every 10 minutes, which isn't that far off.

Honestly I know I'm gonna get hate but the X10 really doesn't cut it for me I many have only been on it once but a late bus only picked up a total of 5 passengers 3 of which came from an over crowded X1. I honestly don't understand why there's more service on that line than the X17 which was packed at around the same time. TBH I feel there should either be a cut or the bsu should be replaced with the X12  

Honestly I know I'm gonna get hate but the X10 really doesn't cut it for me I many have only been on it once but a late bus only picked up a total of 5 passengers 3 of which came from an over crowded X1. I honestly don't understand why there's more service on that line than the X17 which was packed at around the same time. TBH I feel there should either be a cut or the bsu should be replaced with the X12  

When was this?  The X10 used to have A LOT more ridership.  The increase in and elongation of the X17 is why it has lost some ridership.  That and the X1...