BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought that the B/O made announcements on like a speaker, not a telephone.

Can a B/O call someone on that phone?

Either way, technically sposed to use the phone-device only when the bus is stopped but nobody really follows that. I think it's a closed-circuit phone, I'm pretty sure it's just limited to the bus but maybe it's possible it can talk to dispatch? I don't think so though, think it's just for the PA system.

--

9466, wow. Crazy runner and the B/O was nuts with it, the lean was fantastic. Felt like new, shows you what care GA takes of their buses. Then I got 9238. Well, it's old, that's the excuse. No A/C is difficult though, especially when the engine's that hot.

Either way, technically sposed to use the phone-device only when the bus is stopped but nobody really follows that. I think it's a closed-circuit phone, I'm pretty sure it's just limited to the bus but maybe it's possible it can talk to dispatch? I don't think so though, think it's just for the PA system.

Guess they can't order Chinese takeout, then. :(

Guess they can't order Chinese takeout, then. :(

Nope they can't. I could imagine if they could though.:

B/O: Yeah I want some chicken wings and french fries with a coke soda.

Chinese place: Where are you located?

B/O: I'm parked in a D60HF. Look for it near Fordham rd. :P

Seriously though, I think B/Os can call command through that phone.

Okay, if you guys don't know what the phone is used for then stop trying to sound like you know what it is. No guessing.

It's called the radio which we can communicate with the BCC via RTT or PRTT buttons. They receive the signal and call us when they can (PRTT is used to let the BCC know this is a priority call.). We can also receive calls from any supervisor with a radio such as road control or post dispatcher, Superintendent, etc... And no we cannot call other buses at will.

The radio is also used for our PA system either by manually using the headset or hands free step button on the floor activated by foot.

^ I don't think anybody tried to sound like they knew, and nobody was that far off, but thanks for the clarification in any case.

--

I like this whole NG-free day thing: got 9466, then 9238, then 5066, then 6741, and then 5611 and that's how I like the fleet!

On thing that I have noticed recently; the M101, 102, and 103 are running more efficiently. I would assume that the new buses have something to do with this miracle.

I'm sure, those D60HFs used to break down all the time and I used to see the poor dispatcher at 6th St desperately trying to figure out what had happened to tons of buses that weren't showing up.

How come MTA Bus # 133 has the blue stripe, but not the other ex. Bee Lines. It actually makes the bus look better.

The nose on that bus is actually not from a BL, it was plucked off another O5 when 133 got into an accident. Looks really good I agree.

Those XD40's and C40LF's are still naked. I don't see any place where those ad's can go except the roof. Or they can do the whole bus wrap thing like they used to do with the Orion V CNG's, Orion V's and RTS.

Huh? The C40LFs can easily do ads on both sides and the most recent ones (320s, 560s) can probably do ads on the front too. Only place they can't is the back. The Xcelsiors already have them on the back and they could easily do both sides and the front as well.

Those XD40's and C40LF's are still naked. I don't see any place where those ad's can go except the roof. Or they can do the whole bus wrap thing like they used to do with the Orion V CNG's, Orion V's and RTS.

I do you think you brought up an interesting point which is wrapping an entire bus with advertisements. If the MTA actually did go through with wrapping a whole bus with ads. it would not only be aesthetically pleasing to the riders, it could increase the likely-hood that a person actually pays attention to the advertisement because the ad itself is so eye-catching.

I do you think you brought up an interesting point which is wrapping an entire bus with advertisements. If the MTA actually did go through with wrapping a whole bus with ads. it would not only be aesthetically pleasing to the riders, it could increase the likely-hood that a person actually pays attention to the advertisement because the ad itself is so eye-catching.

Back then they did it

I just wish they kept doing it, ugh!!

Back then they did it

[media=]

[/media]

I just wish they kept doing it, ugh!!

That is one nice looking bus! I remember those buses from my childhood. Did NYCT ever wrap their buses in full body ads (exclude the Select Bus)?

^ Those side ads are coming though, first the NGs and now some of the Quill OGs have side ads.

Yep, I think only one OG from Quill has side ads; one of the 67xx hybrids that has no ads on the left side of the bus. Many NG's from Quill and Manhattanville sport the side ads including one of my personal favorites:

IMG_5087.jpg

1232 has a blue decal covering the whole ceiling of the rear of the bus at least (I only looked at the ceiling when I got to my seat in the back). Is this part of some new ad? Or is it one of those things the all the GH 12xx's got that the 126th 12xx's didn't??

1232 has a blue decal covering the whole ceiling of the rear of the bus at least (I only looked at the ceiling when I got to my seat in the back). Is this part of some new ad? Or is it one of those things the all the GH 12xx's got that the 126th 12xx's didn't??

I'm not sure but I've seen this on a few LFSAs myself. For some reason I think its for style.

I'm not sure but I've seen this on a few LFSAs myself. For some reason I think its for style.

I know they've started doing ceiling ads on buses, I noticed some on a couple RTSes...could be related.

Edited by MHV9218